[comp.sys.mac.comm] X-Windows For MAC

gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu (Mario Gonzales) (04/29/91)

Hello All:

I have a question to ask.  We have a lab full of Macs and PC's and
we would like to gain access to X-Windows.  The Entire Campus is
networked through a LAN System that uses mostly Ethernet cabling.

The problem is that we would like to connect to one of the Many mainframes
on campus and use X-Windows from other locations.

One Software package that I was told about is MacLayers but this
program seems to use a modem and we have no need for a modem because
we are already conected to the Mainframes via cable.

If there is any one who can help me, send a suggestions, or who have
done this please let me know.

We have Mac SE's and Mac IIsi's Running on a Novell Server (IBM PS/80's)
Netware Version SFT 286 V2.15 Rev. C.

Any help given would be appreciated and Thanks in Advance:

Mario L. Gonzales
gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu

 Mario L Gonzales    OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY
 gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu     UCS-University Computing Services
				  Student Consulting

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (04/29/91)

gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu (Mario Gonzales) writes:

>I have a question to ask.  We have a lab full of Macs and PC's and
>we would like to gain access to X-Windows.  The Entire Campus is
>networked through a LAN System that uses mostly Ethernet cabling.

>The problem is that we would like to connect to one of the Many mainframes
>on campus and use X-Windows from other locations.

There are two X Server options on the Mac.  MacX from Apple Computer and
eXodus from White Pine Software.  Both are very good to excellent server
implementations and allow copy and paste between X windows and Mac windows
(within the parameters of what the X client will support on the receiving
end).