[comp.sys.mac.comm] looking for alternative to TOPS

schaerer@ifi.unizh.ch (*) (04/26/91)

Question time:

1. Will TOPS run under System 7? (I heard no.)

2. Is there an obvious alternative to TOPS for a network with Mac's,
   Sun's and PC's (all on Ethernet)?

3. Specifically, is there a software that allows PC's to access AppleShare
   servers over Ethernet? (We consider installing CAP on our Sun servers.)

Please reply or post, whichever you feel appropriate. I'll summarize any
replies I get. Thanks in advance.

Daniel Schaerer (schaerer@ifi.unizh.ch)

murphy@excalibur.cs.unc.edu (Ransom Murphy) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr26.163338.2427@ifi.unizh.ch> schaerer@ifi.unizh.ch writes:
>Question time:
>
>1. Will TOPS run under System 7? (I heard no.)

I called TOPS tech support and they said they were working on
making TOPS work with System 7.0.  They weren't sure when they
would have the software ready when I talked with them.

I have another question.  Sitka has completely dropped the support
for printing to AppleTalk ImageWriters from unix systems in their
SunTOPS version 3.0.  Does anyone know if there is another product
which supports this function?

Thanks,
Ransom

--
Ransom Murphy 			                Internet: murphy@cs.unc.edu
Department of Computer Science		        PH# 919-962-1708