[comp.sys.mac.comm] SLIP?

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (08/24/90)

I'm running Versaterm-PRO to communicate through a smart annex box
with various hosts.  I'd like to try out the SLIP capability of the
box.  What software is available for this?  Ideally it would drop in
to VT using the Communications Toolbox, but I'll take anything since
this is mainly for testing purposes at this point.

Charles Allen			Internet: cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics			  nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Purdue University		HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
West Lafayette, IN  47907	talknet:  317/494-9776

rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (08/25/90)

> I'm running Versaterm-PRO to communicate through a smart annex box
> with various hosts.  I'd like to try out the SLIP capability of the
> box.  What software is available for this?  Ideally it would drop in
> to VT using the Communications Toolbox, but I'll take anything since
> this is mainly for testing purposes at this point.

There is a public domain (shareware) product called "MacNET".
This package allows you to become an internet "node" through
a slip connection to some host.

I believe it's available from gatekeeper.dec.com.
I know that I got my copy from somewhere in finland.

		-Rob

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rob Pickering
                                                    "It's a small world,
internet:  pickerin@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu     but I wouldn't want to paint it."
bitnet  :  rp1voper@miamiu.bitnet                       -Steven Wright
NeXT    :  pickerin@next4.acs.muohio.edu

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (08/25/90)

In article <2175.26d521a6@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>There is a public domain (shareware) product called "MacNET".
>This package allows you to become an internet "node" through
>a slip connection to some host.
>
>I believe it's available from gatekeeper.dec.com.
>I know that I got my copy from somewhere in finland.

In Finland it is nic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100) and dir is /pub/mac/comm
File is called macnet.sit
--
== Harri Valkama ==============================================================
| harri.valkama@wmac00.uwasa.fi hv@uwasa.fi hv@flame.uwasa.fi hv@nic.funet.fi |

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/26/90)

There is supposed to be an unsupported version of NCSA Telnet
with SLIP support available for anonymous FTP from
dustbin.cisco.com.  (No further information available)

					-=EPS=-

fax0357@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Leonore A. Findsen, Univ. of Toledo) (08/26/90)

In article <2175.26d521a6@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>> I'm running Versaterm-PRO to communicate through a smart annex box
>> with various hosts.  I'd like to try out the SLIP capability of the
>> box.  What software is available for this?  Ideally it would drop in
>> to VT using the Communications Toolbox, but I'll take anything since
>> this is mainly for testing purposes at this point.
>>

> There is a public domain (shareware) product called "MacNET".
> This package allows you to become an internet "node" through
> a slip connection to some host.
>
> I believe it's available from gatekeeper.dec.com.
> I know that I got my copy from somewhere in finland.

I couldn't find the file at gatekeeper.dec.com. Could someone point out which
directory it is in, or suggest another site?

Thanks...

Leonore

Leonore Findsen | College of Pharmacy  | INTERNET: fax0357@uoft02.utoledo.edu
system manager? | University of Toledo |   BITNET: fax0357@uoft02
Asst. Professor | Toledo, OH  43606    |    VOICE: (419) 537-2729
Disclamer: This message is a figment of my imagination.
Cut the wires! Computers don't need to communicate with each other! UT motto

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (08/29/90)

We also sell a product that allows SLIP.  Drop me a line for more information.
--
Kurt Baumann
703.709.9890

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (08/30/90)

> We also sell a product that allows SLIP.  Drop me a line for more
> information.

What is SLIP, and yes I would also like to have some more information on this
as well.

Gary
---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.080513.3809@clark.edu>, gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary
Snow) writes:

> > We also sell a product that allows SLIP.  Drop me a line for more
> > information.
>
> What is SLIP, and yes I would also like to have some more information on this
> as well.
>
> Gary
> ---

SLIP is the "protocol" that allows the usage of TCP/IP over a serial line.
If both ends of the connection support SLIP you can create a TCP/IP connection
between the two machines.  This, of course, allows you to do FTP, SMTP, POP,
Telnet, etc... over the standard phone line.

--
Kurt Baumann
703.709.9890

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) (08/31/90)

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) wrote at 1:05 am Aug 30, 1990:

> What is SLIP, and yes I would also like to have some more information
> on this as well.

To the best of my understanding, SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol)
allows a computer that has only a serial connection (not a LAN drop)
to a machine connected to an internet (including #the# Internet) to
operate as a peer on the internet.

This means that a SLIP-connected computer has its own IP address and
can do anything any other Internet machine can, assuming that it has
the appropriate software.  A SLIP-connected personal computer can run
any TCP/IP-based application.  Of course, I wouldn't advise attempting
to NFS-mount a Unix directory to a Macintosh over a dirty 1200-baud
modem line...

SLIP for home computers will probably begin to come into its own when
the regional Bell operating companies (RBOCs) begin offering
Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) lines for residential
connections.  These could allow TCP/IP communications from the home to
the Internet at rates as high as 128 kbit/sec.  But don't hold your
breath, especially if you're served by Pathetic Telesis...

Jim McCauley          jem@hpulpcu3.cup.hp.com       (408) 447-4993
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett Packard Company, Open Systems Software Division
MS 48SO, 19447 Pruneridge Avenue, Cupertino CA  95014
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not my employer's.

jfk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (James F. Kennedy) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug24.191457.6141@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
>In article <2175.26d521a6@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>>There is a public domain (shareware) product called "MacNET".
>>This package allows you to become an internet "node" through
>>a slip connection to some host.
>>
>>I believe it's available from gatekeeper.dec.com.
>>I know that I got my copy from somewhere in finland.
>
>In Finland it is nic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100) and dir is /pub/mac/comm
>File is called macnet.sit
>--
>== Harri Valkama ==============================================================
>| harri.valkama@wmac00.uwasa.fi hv@uwasa.fi hv@flame.uwasa.fi hv@nic.funet.fi |
>| University of Vaasa, PO BOX 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (fax: +358 61 248465) |
>= Moderating at chyde.uwasa.fi (128.214.12.3) & nic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100) ==

MacNET 2.00 and all corresponding software can be anonymous ftp'd from
apple.com in the pub/HamRadio/ directory.

					James
--
James F. Kennedy		Internet: jfk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania		  jfk@moore.seas.upenn.edu

boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Rich Akerboom) (09/01/90)

In <28880014@hpisod2.HP.COM> jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) writes:

>gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) wrote at 1:05 am Aug 30, 1990:

>> What is SLIP, and yes I would also like to have some more information
>> on this as well.

>To the best of my understanding, SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol)
[... stuff deleted ...]
>SLIP for home computers will probably begin to come into its own when
>the regional Bell operating companies (RBOCs) begin offering
>Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) lines for residential
>connections.  These could allow TCP/IP communications from the home to
>the Internet at rates as high as 128 kbit/sec.  But don't hold your
>breath, especially if you're served by Pathetic Telesis...

>Jim McCauley          jem@hpulpcu3.cup.hp.com       (408) 447-4993

Here in vermont we are served by Nynex. I was surveyed a few months ago
about my interest in potential new services, such as call forward but can
still pickup, etc. AND ISDN! I told them I was very interested in ISDN,
especially since the prices they were mentioning were cheaper than a second
business line, and as I understand it, an ISDN connection has a minimum of
2 64Kb voice or data lines and one 9.6Kb control line. I hope they move on
this fast! One reason that they may be doing this in vermont is that we are
a relatively small market, suitable for testing, and the state and phone
company have an agreement here that allows Nynex to introduce whatever new
services they want with out any regulation, in return for agreeing to keep
the cost of a basic residential service the same.

Hoping for ISDN in the green mountains,
rich
--
Rich Akerboom        Internet, etc.:   boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Sylvan Software      UUCP:             decvax!dartvax!eleazar!boomer

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (09/02/90)

>SLIP is the "protocol" that allows the usage of TCP/IP over a serial line.
>If both ends of the connection support SLIP you can create a TCP/IP connection
>between the two machines.  This, of course, allows you to do FTP, SMTP, POP,
>Telnet, etc... over the standard phone line.

Real nice, so where can it be obtained, and how much does it cost?  I would
like to be able to receive and read news from my Mac, would this allow me to
do that from a remote Unix site that I only have a modem link to?

Gary
---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (04/08/91)

Hello.
I'm totally clueless as to what SLIP really is.
I have a Macintosh IIfx that isn't networked to anything.
I have a 2400 baud modem.

Can I dial in with my wimpy modem and connect to the campus machines
that support SLIP and have a "real" TCP/IP connection?  I hear there
is a "cisco?" version of NCSA Telnet that supports SLIP -- I can't
FTP there -- 131.108.1.27.  says "Net unreachable."

Someone please help!  Do I need MacTCP?

Steve Klingsporn
klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (reply via email, please!) :)

andersn@bcars471.bnr.ca (Anders Nordstrom) (04/25/91)

Does anybody have any information about the communication program SLIP?
What exactly does it do and where to get it?
--
 Regards,

        Anders Nordstrom

        MSS, Dept. 5S45 IC Development
        BNR Ltd. Carling
	NetNorth/BITNET andersn@bnr.ca
 Phone: x3-9186 (ESN 393-3127, PUBLIC 613-763-9186)
   Fax: x3-2626 (ESN 393-2626, PUBLIC 613-763-2626)

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (04/30/91)

In article <ANDERSN.91Apr24123241@bcars471.bnr.ca>, andersn@bcars471.bnr.ca
(Anders Nordstrom) writes:

> Does anybody have any information about the communication program SLIP?
> What exactly does it do and where to get it?
> --
>  Regards,

Well there is only one program (that I know of) on the Mac that allows SLIP
communications and that's our TCP/Connect II.  For more information drop a note
to jim@intercon.com or clint@intercon.com they will be happy to send you some
info.

What it allows you to establish a TCP/IP connection over a phone line.  That's
it in a nutshell.

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh