[comp.sys.mac.comm] How do I hook up non-Mac hardware?

ebowen@ub.d.umn.edu ("BO") (04/25/91)

Sender: ebowen@ub.d.umn.edu
    I'm new to the mac world (coming from atari & DOS), and I need some
    information on interfacing a non-mac printer (centronics parallel) and
    modem (hayes compatible, DB-25 connector) with my new classic.

    If somebody would send me some email I would appreciate it.
Eric Bowen  (ebowen@ub.d.umn.edu)      	       "All the way, Ma'am.   Airborne!"

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (04/26/91)

In article <1194@ub.d.umn.edu> ebowen@ub.d.umn.edu ("BO") writes:
> I'm new to the mac world (coming from atari & DOS), and I need some
> information on interfacing a non-mac printer (centronics parallel) and
> modem (hayes compatible, DB-25 connector) with my new classic.

Pop down to your local Apple dealer (or school bookstore or mailorder
house) and get a Mac-To-Modem cable.  Expect to pay anywhere between
$9 and $35 depending upon your specific dealer.  That will take care
of your modem.  To hook up a serial printer, get a Mac-To-Immagewriter
Model 1 cable.  That will work for almost every serial DTE device I have
tried.

A parallel printer is much more difficult.  You would have to convert
the Mac serial port into parallel signals.  Then you would have to get
a printer driver for the parallel printer.  These two items would cost
about $100 each.  I think you would be better off trying to locate a
used ImmageWriter II ($200-$300) or look at one of the new Apple printers.
The StyleWriter should be fairly reasonable with a educational discount.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

xdpq8@isuvax.iastate.edu (04/27/91)

For connecting a parallel printer, use the grappler interface.  There is one
for 9 pin printers and one for 23 pin printers
Excuse me, that was 24 pin printers. It's compatible with ATM, but it is a
bit slower than a standard imagewriter...

postmaster@bcs-mac.UUCP (Postmaster) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr27.051628.14050@news.iastate.edu>, xdpq8@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>For connecting a parallel printer, use the grappler interface.  There is one
>for 9 pin printers and one for 23 pin printers
>Excuse me, that was 24 pin printers. It's compatible with ATM, but it is a
>bit slower than a standard imagewriter...

If you plan on printing graphics (or Postscript, arrrgh!) or outline
fonts via ATM or TrueType, don't bother with the Grappler. It is limited
to 9600 baud, which is just too slow to consider using for a high-resolution
printer like a 24-pin or a bubblejet. Instead, what you need is the
Paralink, which is available from a number of sources.

BCS*Mac--World's Largest Macintosh User Group
48 Grove St., #206      Somerville, MA  02144
               617-625-7080

postmaster@bcs-mac.UUCP (Postmaster) (04/30/91)

In article <1194@ub.d.umn.edu>, ebowen@ub.d.umn.edu ("BO") writes:

>    I'm new to the mac world (coming from atari & DOS), and I need some
>    information on interfacing a non-mac printer (centronics parallel) and
>    modem (hayes compatible, DB-25 connector) with my new classic.
>
>    If somebody would send me some email I would appreciate it.
>--
>Eric Bowen  (ebowen@ub.d.umn.edu)      	       "All the way, Ma'am.   Airborne!"

If all you want is the connection (as opposed to driver software or
anything like that), the cheapest alternative I've found is the ParaLink
Express by Jonathan Freeman Technologies. This is a parallel/serial
converter operating at 57.6k. Believe it or not, the cheapest place
to get it is from Epson Accessories marketing in Torrance, CA. Their
number is 800-873-7766. The ParaLink costs $74.

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (05/01/91)

postmaster@bcs-mac.UUCP (Postmaster) writes:

>........ Instead, what you need is the
>Paralink, which is available from a number of sources.

We're using a Paralink and Mac Daisy Link software to connect
an IBM Wheelwriter typewriter to our Mac.  It actually worked--
one day.  But we haven't been able to get it to work since.

What complicates the issue is the QuadraLink board installed
in the Mac.  The Mac Daisy Link people say they've had trouble
with QuadraLinks.  But even when we put the Paralink cable directly
into the modem port and disable the QuadraLink ports, we can't
get the typewriter to work.

--
-
Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    klefstad@uiuc.edu