[comp.sys.mac.comm] QuickMail <--> Smtp

jenner@post.ntu.edu.au (04/26/91)

We are currently using Quickmail as our internal mail system and would like to
bridge Q'Mail to SMTP. GatorMail-Q will do this but at $7000 for a site
license, is out of my price range.

Has anyone had experience with "SMTP/QM" from Information Electronics or
"StarNine" from Berkeley CA ? I believe these applications are both Q'Mail <->
SMTP bridges. Do you know approximate costs ? I have snail-mailed the suppliers
but would appreciate any e-mail.

Cheers,
Bob Jenner, Computing Department
Northern Territory University
PO Box 40146, Casuarina NT, Australia, 0811

bunch@jessica.Stanford.edu (Charles Bunch) (04/27/91)

BeaverGate by University of Toronto Computing Services is worth
considering.  We tested it out and, after a few tries, got it working.
The installation can be confusing, and the documentation is scant, but
its free and seems to work all right.
It can be ftp'd from madhaus.utoronto.ca; filename is /pub/beaver-0.85

Charles Bunch
bunch@jessica.stanford.edu

mha@memory.UUCP (Mark H. Anbinder) (04/27/91)

Subject:   RE> QuickMail <--> Smtp               QuickMail Reply

In article <1991Apr26.124541.886@darwin.ntu.edu.au>, Bob Jenner
(jenner@post.ntu.edu.au) writes:
> We are currently using Quickmail as our internal mail system and
> would like to bridge Q'Mail to SMTP. GatorMail-Q will do this but at
> $7000 for a site license, is out of my price range.

Whew.  No argument there!

> Has anyone had experience with "SMTP/QM" from Information Electronics
> or "StarNine" from Berkeley CA ? I believe these applications are
> both Q'Mail <-> SMTP bridges. Do you know approximate costs ?

StarNine, Inc. is the developer of GatorMail, which is sold by Cayman (as well
as by StarNine itself, now), so that is the same product.  Information
Electronics' new "SMTP\QM" product has a retail price of $599 per server for an
UNLIMITED number of users (though that price is scheduled to go up this summer
to $749, I believe).  I have used NEITHER of these two SMTP products
extensively, but I am a VERY heavy user of IE's UMCP\QM uucp to QuickMail
bridge (that's how I received your posting, and how I'm replying to it).
SMTP\QM and UMCP\QM are quite similar in concept, and I find UMCP highly
satisfactory and successful in meeting my needs.  If you have any specific
questions about SMTP\QM, I should be able to answer them, or at the very least,
find an answer.

> I have snail-mailed the suppliers but would appreciate any e-mail.

IE's email address is infoelect@rubicon.ie.com, if you wish to write to them
via e-mail.  I know that StarNine also has an Internet link, and their domain
name is starnine.com.  Try writing to postmaster@starnine.com for the address
of an appropriate person to talk to there.

Charles Bunch also mentioned U of Toronto's Beavergate package.  While the
price is certainly right (I believe it's free... if not, it is shareware), I
don't think it really comes up to the level of either of the commercial
offerings we're talking about.

Disclaimer: The company I work for (BAKA Computers, Inc.) sells Macintosh
software, including Information Electronics' products... but I am just a Happy
User of IE software.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                   mha@memory.uucp
1063 Warren Road #6                607-257-3480

virchaux@elsti.Epfl.CH (Jacques Virchaux) (04/29/91)

There is a beta version of BeaverGate (with a very few minor bugs) we are
running here since more than 3 months. The documentation addendum is
provided to help users to configure correctly the gateway.

It is ftp'able from gwmail.epfl.ch. Just 'cd mail' then 'cd beaver' and
get it (it is on a VAX/VMS machine).

This gateway does not need to register any user (either on a POP server or
on the bridge). This feature is generally not available from commercial
products I know.

--
	Jacques Virchaux
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology

morrow@rdsunx.crd.ge.com (madeline e morrow) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr26.124541.886@darwin.ntu.edu.au>0,
jenner@post.ntu.edu.au writes:
|>We are currently using Quickmail as our internal mail system and would
like to
|>bridge Q'Mail to SMTP. GatorMail-Q will do this but at $7000 for a site
|>license, is out of my price range.
|>
|>Has anyone had experience with "SMTP/QM" from Information Electronics or
|>"StarNine" from Berkeley CA ? I believe these applications are both
Q'Mail <->
|>SMTP bridges. Do you know approximate costs ? I have snail-mailed the
suppliers
|>but would appreciate any e-mail.
|>
|>Cheers,
|>Bob Jenner, Computing Department
|>Northern Territory University
|>PO Box 40146, Casuarina NT, Australia, 0811
 StarNine is the actual developer of GatorMail-Q for Cayman.  We have
GatorMail-M
(Microsoft Mail to SMTP) which is newer than GatorMail-Q (I think).  It was a
little buggy at first, but StarNine worked with us and after some painful
times all is well.  I don't know if they sell directly or not.  We bought the
software through Cayman Systems, but Cayman didn't mind if we talked directly
to the developers at StarNine, which was helpful.
| Madeline Morrow                                |
| memorrow@crd.ge.com                            |
| GE Research & Development 			 |
| Schenectady, NY                   518-387-6414 |

mha@memory.UUCP (Mark H. Anbinder) (04/30/91)

In article <1380@sicsun.epfl.ch>, virchaux@elsti.Epfl.CH (Jacques Virchaux)
says about a beta version of BeaverGate:

> This gateway does not need to register any user (either on a POP
> server or on the bridge). This feature is generally not available
> from commercial products I know.

I can't speak for GatorMail-Q (StarNine's product), but SMTP\QM from
Information Electronics certainly does not need to register individual users,
either on a POP server or on the bridge.  Naturally, recipients will generally
(though not always!) need to be valid QuickMail users... but SMTP\QM will
properly resolve incoming messages' destinations no matter where they are.  For
example, if a message comes in for John_Doe@yoursite.com and there's no John
Doe on the same server as the SMTP\QM bridge, the message will be correctly
delivered to the John Doe on ANOTHER server at your location, connected by
network.  If there's no such person, the message will go to the Custodian, just
as with any other undeliverable QuickMail message.

SMTP\QM allows you to have an unlimited number of QuickMail senders and
recipients for SMTP mail.  No registration is involved.

--

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (05/01/91)

jenner@post.ntu.edu.au writes:

>We are currently using Quickmail as our internal mail system and would like to
>bridge Q'Mail to SMTP. GatorMail-Q will do this but at $7000 for a site
>license, is out of my price range.

Are you sure about that price tag?  We have Gatormail-M and it wasn't
nearly that price tag.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =