[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mounting SUN Sparcstation hard disk from mac

cmitchel@arco.com (04/30/91)

Is there a way to mount a hard disk on a sparcstation 2 from a macII ci?  I
want to be able to have the drive show up on the mac and allow you drag files
to the mounted drive.

Thanks in advance

Charles Mitchell
cmithcel@arco.com

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (05/01/91)

cmitchel@arco.com writes:

>Is there a way to mount a hard disk on a sparcstation 2 from a macII ci?  I
>want to be able to have the drive show up on the mac and allow you drag files
>to the mounted drive.

Yes, 2 general ways:

1. NFS - You can either get an NFS client for your Mac (InterCon and
Wollongong each make one), or you can get a Gatorbox which will act
as an NFS/AppleShare go-between.

2. AppleShare on the Sun - There are programs that allow your Sun
to use the AppleTalk protocol and emulate AppleShare file servers.
A freeware set of programs called CAP (Columbia Appletalk Package)
includes as part of its distribution a program called AUFS (Apple
Unix File Server). Rutgers U. is taking care of CAP lately and
it is availble from rutgers.edu by anonymous FTP. I use it and
like it. There are commercial products that do it too. IPT makes
a product called UShare. I think there are others, but don't know
them offhand. Information on this stuff is usually found on the
comp.protocols.appletalk group.

Good luck,
pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

dmanning@ecs.umass.edu (Dave Manning) (05/01/91)

> Is there a way to mount a hard disk on a sparcstation 2 from a macII ci?  I
> want to be able to have the drive show up on the mac and allow you drag files
> to the mounted drive.

> Charles Mitchell
> cmithcel@arco.com

Charles,

My neighbor has a Sparc II and I use his hard drive from my SE/30 all of the
time.  I can also log in to the Sun and back up my Mac's hard disk on his
tape backup.  You have two choices Ethernet or Appletalk.  I chose AppleTalk
for price (although it is much slower).

My friend has Tops running on his Sun and I have it on my Mac.  He has a
Gaterbox that does the Ethernet to AppleTalk conversion.  I just mount my
directory in the Mac's Finder, and treat them as Mac documents.

I use VersaTerm Pro to access Unix, although Telnet will also work.  I prefer
the atmosphere of VersaTerm, though.  Note that VersaTerm is not public
domain (around $190).

If your friend doesn't have a Gaterbox, you can always buy an Ethernet card
for you IIci.  They cost around $300 or so.  Then, using Tops, you can do
exactly what I am doing.

To back up your hard drive, just copy the contents to the Sun's hard drive
(assuming it is big enough) and use tar to put it on tape.  There may be a
way to mount the Mac's hard drive from the Sun, although I haven't bothered
to try.  Over AppleTalk, it takes about 5 hours to copy my 100 meg drive.
Overnight, though, it isn't a problem.

Hopefully this shows what you can do.  If you need any further assistance,
please send me a note.  I bugged the net quite a bit in setting up my network
earlier this year.  I guess it is my turn to help out someone else.

Good luck!

Dave Manning
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
Electrical Engineering, class of '92.

dmanning@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (05/08/91)

In article <13475.281e8367@ecs.umass.edu>, dmanning@ecs.umass.edu (Dave
Manning) writes:
> My neighbor has a Sparc II and I use his hard drive from my SE/30 all of the
> time.  I can also log in to the Sun and back up my Mac's hard disk on his
> tape backup.  You have two choices Ethernet or Appletalk.  I chose AppleTalk
> for price (although it is much slower).

Sounds good.

> My friend has Tops running on his Sun and I have it on my Mac.  He has a
> Gaterbox that does the Ethernet to AppleTalk conversion.  I just mount my
> directory in the Mac's Finder, and treat them as Mac documents.

Now why is AppleTalk cheaper if you need a GatorBox?  Hopefully this $2,000+
cost is shared by more than one person.  TOPS?  Yech.  Why not use a standard
protocol?  Even the GatorBox will let you use NFS.  Or you could get NFS from
one of two other companies (InterCon Systems, and Wollogong).  For about $295
plus the cost of an ethernet card, these days going for about $200.

> I use VersaTerm Pro to access Unix, although Telnet will also work.  I prefer
> the atmosphere of VersaTerm, though.  Note that VersaTerm is not public
> domain (around $190).

VersaTerm will run over the network too.  If you have an older version of
VersaTerm you can use a product we sell, InterCon's Telnet Driver/Tool, to
connect over the network via telnet.  Or you could get one of the PD or
Commercial telnet, FTP, mail, etc. packages.

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh