[comp.sys.mac.comm] Is there a nice mail interface for uupc?

palkovic@linac.fnal.gov (John A. Palkovic) (05/03/91)

I seem to recall someone mentioning in this group that they had
developed a nice email interface for uupc [sic] on the mac.

I just installed uupc V2.1 on my home mac (got it from
rascal.ics.utexas.edu; nice archive site). It looks like it uses a 3
window g protocol. I was getting transfer speeds of 213 char/s at 2400
bd, which frankly blows away gnuucp ( < 100 char/s over the same link;
sorry Jim). Sure was nice watching the TX light get pegged on my
modem. The problem I have is that pc mail, the mail interface included
with uupc, is quite brain dead. It looks like a port of unix /bin/mail
to the mac.

I thought about trying to modify the mail stack from gnuucp to
interface with uupc, but I don't think this could be made to work. Are
there any (freeware or shareware) solutions to this problem out there?
Anyone have one in the works?

Thanks,

-John

--
palkovic@linac.fnal.gov || {royko,tellab5,simon}!linac!palkovic
linac!jpmac!johnny (home)

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (05/04/91)

In article <1ZM9_ZH@linac.fnal.gov> palkovic@linac.fnal.gov (John A. Palkovic) writes:

>I seem to recall someone mentioning in this group that they had
>developed a nice email interface for uupc [sic] on the mac.

Yeah, I recall that also.  I remember them saying to send mail
for more info, which I did.  It either bounced or they never responded.
Anyway, I would also be interested, and I know a couple other people
who would too.

Of course, the other item of interest would be a more efficient version
of gnuucp (even at 9600 baud I got less than 100cps)....

odell@buitc.bu.edu (Jim O'Dell) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.182344.7243@oswego.oswego.edu> ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
>In article <1ZM9_ZH@linac.fnal.gov> palkovic@linac.fnal.gov (John A. Palkovic) writes:
>
>>I seem to recall someone mentioning in this group that they had
>>developed a nice email interface for uupc [sic] on the mac.
>
>Yeah, I recall that also.  I remember them saying to send mail
>for more info, which I did.  It either bounced or they never responded.
>Anyway, I would also be interested, and I know a couple other people
>who would too.
>
>Of course, the other item of interest would be a more efficient version
>of gnuucp (even at 9600 baud I got less than 100cps)....

I would be very interested in providing a speedier version
of Mac/gnuucp. I am trying to locate the original writers
of UUPC to see if they would be willing to contribute the code.
The UUPC code is copyrighted and I don't feel like I can use
it freely. Of course, I must admit that I feel that with all
the use Mac/gnuucp has gotten that is probably more reliable
so I would be reluctant to pitch out the engine completely.

If anybodyu knows the whereabouts of the UUPC authors I'd
love to hear from them. It seems a shaqme to have 2 half
functional programs.

Jim O'Dell
Fort Pond Research

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.182344.7243@oswego.oswego.edu>, ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
> >I seem to recall someone mentioning in this group that they had
> >developed a nice email interface for uupc [sic] on the mac.
>
> Yeah, I recall that also.  I remember them saying to send mail
> for more info, which I did.  It either bounced or they never responded.
> Anyway, I would also be interested, and I know a couple other people
> who would too.

You may be referring to our *commercial* product uAccess.
If you want info, "info@ice.com" should automatically respond with
details about the application. Include a USmail address for a brochure.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

bhoule@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Bill Houle) (05/08/91)

>In article <1ZM9_ZH@linac.fnal.gov> palkovic@linac.fnal.gov (John A. Palkovic) writes:
>I seem to recall someone mentioning in this group that they had
>developed a nice email interface for uupc [sic] on the mac.

Dave Platt (dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us) is working on Fernmail,
which can handle both UUPC and Mac/gnuucp mail files.  In terms
of a "pretty" user interface it is not as nice as the Mac/gnuucp
hypercard stack, but it is nonetheless very flexible - multiple
windows, binhex, attachments, and other stuff.

It is currently at 1.0b7, and I guess he is preparing for an
eventual shareware release.

--
Bill Houle                       bhoule@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
NCR NPD-San Diego                (619) 693-5593