[comp.sys.mac.comm] LocalTalk Phase II

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (05/08/91)

About two weeks ago, I actually decided to read one of the slick
propaganda pieces that Apple likes to shower us with.  It was called
"The Advantages of AppleTalk Phase II".

It turns out that it is a VERY nice pamphlet and is filled with
interesting and relevant information.

What puzzles me is why it has a paragraph that states:

(roughly quoted from memory)

"System software 7.0 will contain new LocalTalk drivers that implement
all of the features of AppleTalk Phase II except for extended addressing".
The brochure goes on to state that "some software will eventually require
that you run AppleTalk Phase II even on non-extended LocalTalk networks".

I asked our local Apple Canada head System Engineer if you knew
anything about this.  He didn't have a clue.

The Apple Internet Router DOES let you enter multiple zone names for
a LocalTalk segment (for future compatibility????).

Is this a case of the marketing people not clearly understanding the
intentions of the engineering people or what?

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: P.Gosselin@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (05/08/91)

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:

>"some software will eventually require that you run AppleTalk Phase
>II even on non-extended LocalTalk networks"
>
>I asked our local Apple Canada head System Engineer if you knew
>anything about this. He didn't have a clue.

As far as Phase II functionality is concerned, it is my understanding
that the only new feature of the LocalTalk drivers is the best router
algorithm. Previously, the LocalTalk drivers would use the router that
they last heard from, regardless of whether it was the most efficient
one to use. The newer drivers keep track of the number of hops to a
given net and the best way to get there.

Phase II AppleTalk also allows the use of the newer NBP calls, making
life easier for the programmer. The recent ADSP example in develop
requires AppleTalk 53 or later for this reason. There may be other new
programmatic features of 53 and later - this is the only one that I
can remember.

Stephan Somogyi                          No. No. No. I'm NOT with MIS.
MacUser

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/09/91)

In article <42125@cup.portal.com>, MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) writes:

> Phase II AppleTalk also allows the use of the newer NBP calls, making
> life easier for the programmer. The recent ADSP example in develop
> requires AppleTalk 53 or later for this reason. There may be other new
> programmatic features of 53 and later - this is the only one that I
> can remember.

There's also the transition queue that let's your programs hear about
it when the MPP driver is opened or closed. (Why oh why did they put
a C interface on this thing!  What a pain from Pascal, at least C routines
can be declared as using a Pascal calling sequence)

Let's see, also PGetAppleTalkInfo, sort of a SystemInfo for AppleTalk.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE