[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacX meta key stuck

mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu (05/07/91)

MacX users:

Twice now I have had the experience of MacX thinking that the Meta key was held
down.  The problem was detected in an emacs session, though other windows
thought the same thing.  The Keycaps did not show any keys down.

The first time that happened, I could not think of any way to save my emacs
buffers, so w/ a prayer to auto-save I killed the session and restarted MacX,
at which point it was back to normal.

This time I tried more random stuff.  When I held down the left arrow key and
clicked the mouse (=middle button), it pasted in something from the Mac
clipboard, and then all was normal again. (!!)

I would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this problem.  Or perhaps
this is a "feature"?  (I did not know how to paste from the clipboard before.)

-Tom (mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu)

makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.221941.20325@midway.uchicago.edu> mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu writes:

> MacX users:
>
> This time I tried more random stuff.  When I held down the left arrow key and
> clicked the mouse (=middle button), it pasted in something from the Mac
> clipboard, and then all was normal again. (!!)
>
> I would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this problem.  Or perhaps
> this is a "feature"?  (I did not know how to paste from the clipboard before.)
>
> -Tom (mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu)

You are not alone.. I have the same problems may times but it happen
most when I was scrolling thru up and down where you have to use the 2
button. Sometimes this is very usefull since to scroll I have to press
the second button and if it stuck, i just have to move the mouse and
dont have to press any keys. I dont know why but it is definitely a bug.

I really wonder why Apple put these buttons in the place of arrows.
Apple are listening ??? I wish it could be made user definable  or at
least make it to option-click or command-click...
I got to very weird situation sometimes with this buttons....sigh...!!
Arrghhh...!!!
-------
Hanz Makmur
Rutgers University

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (05/09/91)

makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) writes:

>I really wonder why Apple put these buttons in the place of arrows.
>Apple are listening ??? I wish it could be made user definable  or at
>least make it to option-click or command-click...

Nope, they *can't* do that and still claim to be shipping an X server.
Look, the "option" key acts as a Meta key to MacX, right?  Well, Meta-left-
mouse-button is a perfectly valid X event, and it's perfectly permissible
to write an X program that expects that.  So they can't use option-click
to represent one of the missing mouse buttons.  They could make command-click
equivalent to one of the missing mouse buttons, but that still leaves you
one button shy of what X programs tend to expect.  So they're going to have
to use some keys on the keyboard to fake out the missing mouse buttons.  Either
that or ship a 3-button mouse with each copy of MacX, which would probably
adversely raise the prices....
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.214517.1098@servalan.uucp> rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:

   Nope, they *can't* do that and still claim to be shipping an X
   server.  Look, the "option" key acts as a Meta key to MacX, right?
   Well, Meta-left- mouse-button is a perfectly valid X event, and
   it's perfectly permissible to write an X program that expects that.

   So they can't use option-click to represent one of the missing
   mouse buttons.  They could make command-click equivalent to one of
   the missing mouse buttons, but that still leaves you one button shy
   of what X programs tend to expect.  So they're going to have to use
   some keys on the keyboard to fake out the missing mouse buttons.
   Either that or ship a 3-button mouse with each copy of MacX, which
   would probably adversely raise the prices....

It should be configurable -- after all, what good are all those keys
on the extended keyboard if you can't do something useful with them.

Few X programs expect to be able to use all those function keys, so
assigning two of them seems a logical choice.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."