[comp.sys.mac.comm] High speed serial port extenders

mac@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Alex Colvin) (05/08/91)

I'm looking for a mac nubus card to add several serial ports (2 to 4).
The catch is that these need to be high-speed serial lines (for machine
control), running 9600 to 38.4k Baud.  Most of what I've seen is for
modems at lower speeds.

Anyone have a lead on such a critter?

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn L. Austin) (05/08/91)

mac@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Alex Colvin) writes:
>I'm looking for a mac nubus card to add several serial ports (2 to 4).
>The catch is that these need to be high-speed serial lines (for machine
>control), running 9600 to 38.4k Baud.  Most of what I've seen is for
>modems at lower speeds.

>Anyone have a lead on such a critter?

Taniwha produces a 4-port card that will do this, Creative Solutions does
as well.  Both are quality boards.

| Glenn L. Austin - Mac Wizard and Auto Racing Driver                         |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp                                                 |
|  "Turn too soon, run out of room.  Turn too late, much better fate."        |

jones@optilink.UUCP (Marvin Jones) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May7.195557.4788@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>, mac@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Alex Colvin) writes:
> I'm looking for a mac nubus card to add several serial ports (2 to 4).
> The catch is that these need to be high-speed serial lines (for machine
> control), running 9600 to 38.4k Baud.  Most of what I've seen is for
> modems at lower speeds.
>
> Anyone have a lead on such a critter?

I am using a CSI (Creative Solutions, Inc.) HQS (Hurdler Quad Serial) card
in a IIci with Microphone II.  No problems yet.  The card will support
sustained transmissions in excess of 38.4K on all four channels
simultaneously, according to their literature.  They also mention that the
on-board 68008 can be custom programmed to handle higher rate applications
such as MIDI, process control, networking, etc.

Software Ventures provided a Microphone patch to allow it to recognize all
four CSI ports in addition to the 2 motherboard ports.  Software is provided
with the Hurdler to allow use with less flexible applications which may
not recognize the ports.  An identity init is also provided for use with
the CTB.  And sample code segments for doing your own drivers.  All in all,
a nice package.

CSI is at 4701 Randolph Rd., Suite 12, Rockville, MD  20852, ph. 301.984.0262.
Price is $299 for two serial ports (expandable to four by the user) or
$379 for four ports.

Hope this might help.

I'm just a satisfied customer.

--
 == Marvin Jones === Optilink Corp. === Petaluma, CA === 707.795.9444 X206 ==
 == uucp: {uunet, tekbspa, pyramid}!optilink!jones ==========================