[comp.sys.mac.comm] PacerTerm

tmyers@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Tim Myers) (05/08/91)

In the latest issue of MacUser, there is an ad for a terminal program
that I've yet to see discussed on the net.  It's called PacerTerm, from
Pacer Software, and the ad says that the program offers VT100/320
emulation, Mac comm toolbox stuff, hypertalk-like scripting, several
file transfer protocol methods ... in short, it sounds good.  Anybody using
it?  If so, others here might be interested as well.

Tim

Tim Myers              |        BITNET: MYERST@OUACCVMB
Ohio University        |      INTERNET: tmyers@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (05/08/91)

I'm not using it, but I have a few questions:
	1)  How much does it run?
	2)  Does it support ZModem?
	3)  Who makes it?

If anybody can answer these questions by Friday, I'd be much obliged--I lose my
usenet access for the summer Saturday.

Thanx in advance.

--
Douglas J Renze                      internet:  drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
                                       delphi:  drenze

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (05/09/91)

In article <3332@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> tmyers@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Tim
Myers) writes:
> In the latest issue of MacUser, there is an ad for a terminal program
> that I've yet to see discussed on the net...

Well, the ad hit the streets a *little* sooner than we expected.  The
"offical" product announcement is still a couple of weeks away. ;-)

PacerTerm is a new product from Pacer Software that will bring terminal
emulation into the '90's.  PacerTerm fully supports the Macintosh
Communications Toolbox so you can use any CTB compatible Terminal, File
Transfer, and Connection tools.  We supply tools for VT320, VT102 and TTY
emulation, LAT, TCP/IP-Telnet, Modem, Serial, and PacerLink connections, and
FTP, Kermit, Xmodem, Zmodem, and PacerLink file transfers (with more to come
at a later date).  It supports multiple simultaneous terminal sessions each
in their own window, scrollback area, user-programmable SoftKeys, and
user-configurable KeyMappings.  If you want to build friendly front-ends
to online services and host applications, use your knowlege of HyperTalk to
script a Macintosh interface.  It's easy, even for those who are not
HyperTalk-fluent, using PacerTerm's built-in script development system with
integral help.  PacerTerm is System 7 compatible, 32-bit clean, and it
supports the required AppleEvents.  Suggested retail price is $249 and it
will be available directly from us or it will be available via your favorite
mail order houses (ie. MacConnection, etc.) real soon.  Expected FCS is
June 1st.  If there are any specific questions, please send email and I'll
be happy to reply.  Thanks for your interest.

/Matt
---
Matt Kingman
Macintosh Software Engineer
Pacer Software Inc.
Disclaimer:  Yes, I work for Pacer Software and yes, I did work on PacerTerm,
so yes, that makes my opinions biased.  My advice to you?  Try it, you'll
like it...

ari@Mordor.Stanford.EDU (Ari Ollikainen) (05/09/91)

...but will it do telnet and FTP over SLIP/ppp ?

teague@Apple.COM (Terry Teague) (05/09/91)

In article <5951@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) writes:
>I'm not using it, but I have a few questions:
>	1)  How much does it run?
>	2)  Does it support ZModem?
>	3)  Who makes it?
>
>If anybody can answer these questions by Friday, I'd be much obliged--I lose my
>usenet access for the summer Saturday.
>
>Thanx in advance.
>
>--
>Douglas J Renze                      internet:  drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
>                                       delphi:  drenze

PacerTerm is by Pacer Software. I don't know the cost. Since it uses the
Communciations Toolbox, it will support ZMODEM etc when there are ZMODEM etc
tools available for the CTB. The big feature of PacerTerm is supposed to be
its scripting language.

The program is currently in beta test (no I wasn't lucky enough to be a
beta tester).

--
+-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| Terry Teague (WWIV Mac BBS) ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

macpkh@meediv.lanl.gov (Peter K. Haase) (05/10/91)

I have been using a Beta version of PacerTerm for about two weeks. I have
been using Pacers PacerShare and Pacerlink which turns a VAX/VMS into a
Appleshare File Server and allows you to establish terminal sessions with
a host. The drawback with Pacerlink was that the host had to be running
Pacerlink on the target machine to allow terminal sessions so PacerTerm
is far better in that you don't  have to have Pacerlink running on the
Host system. We purchased a 50 session user license for PacerShare and
PacerLink but it is somewhat limiting in the terminal sessions that you
can have with non Pacerlink Hosts so the new product is a big improvement.

One other note of interest is that I have been doing Appleshare mounts on
our VAX for quite some time but have recently also been doing NFS mounts
using NFS/Share (Intercon) on the MAC and Multinet TCP/IP NFS (TGV) on the
VAX and have seen significant speed increases. Probabaly 2X as fast. There
are some other benefits as well. We will probably switch from using Appletalk
for VMS and AppleShare and go to NFS------Much less hassle, cheaper and faster.

Peter K. Haase
Mechanical Electrical Engineering Division
505-667-2684