[comp.sys.mac.comm] QuickMail <-> SMTP summary

jenner@post.ntu.edu.au (05/01/91)

First of all, many thanks to the following netters: Mark H. Anbinder,Seymor
Joseph, Madeline Morrow, David C. Kovar, Rod Van Cooten, Lloyd Taylor, Robin
Goldstone, Dick Dramstad, Eric Behr and Bill Woodcock. My apologies if I have
missed anyone who responded.

The 3 main contenders for bridging QuickMail to SMTP (using TCP/IP) appear to
be: BeaverGate, GatorMail (alias StarNine alias MailLink-SMTP) and SMTP/QM. I
will try to summarise the information I received.This is *my* interpretation of
the received info, I hope no-one feels misquoted.
Views ranged from "works faultlessly" to "got it going eventually". in all
cases.

1. BeaverGate     cost: nil   available from:  madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca

I tried BeaverGate and found to my dismay that it will not work on anything
less than an 030 box. Apparently there are some embedded 68030 calls. As we are
not wealthy enough to waste a Mac II clunking away on mail serving, I'll have
to give it a miss. There is also a rumor that BeaverGate may not be supported
in future, can someone either verify or scotch this?

2. GatorMail-Q   cost: ~US$2000 or AUS$7000 for a Uni. site license.
available from StarNine (2126 Sixth Street, Berkeley, CA 94710) or Cayman
(sorry, I don't have the address).

GatorMail was highly regarded in most replies. The difference between US and
Australian prices is puzzling (OZ$ is about 77c US). I am trying to find out
who is making the big profit, but this is probably not the place to debate
"gray-marketing".

3. SMTP/QM    cost: US$600 AUS$800 (till June 30 then goes up ~$200) for site
license. Available from: Information Electronics (infoelect@rubicon.ie.com) or
in OZ, ring Ron Reavley 06 2810102. Opinions on this software were also good.

I have not seen GatorMail or SMTP/QM working and have not been able to get
evaluation copies in either case (TCP connect II were happy to send us
evaluation copies, why can't the others ?) so we have bitten the bullet and
ordered SMTP/QM. I will express an opinion after we have used it for a few
weeks.
Cheers,
Bob Jenner, Computing Department
Northern Territory University
PO Box 40146, Casuarina NT, Australia, 0811

LEO@PINE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (Leo Wierzbowski) (05/01/91)

Bob posted:  "I tried BeaverGate and found to my dismay that it will not
work on anything less than an 030 box."

I'm running BeaverGate 0.87b6 on a Mac II (the original 68020 one).  It
does not run on 68000 Macs.

Sincerely,
Leo

drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu (David Gutierrez) (05/10/91)

In article <28342@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> LEO@PINE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (Leo
Wierzbowski) writes:
> Bob posted:  "I tried BeaverGate and found to my dismay that it will not
> work on anything less than an 030 box."
>
> I'm running BeaverGate 0.87b6 on a Mac II (the original 68020 one).  It
> does not run on 68000 Macs.

I'm running BeaverGate 0.87 on a 4MB Mac Plus. It works OK, but does crash
every week or two. I've ordered Information Electronics' SMTP/QM bridge.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard