[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mac fax modem experience??

X03@psuvm.psu.edu (05/10/91)

Since I don't have any experience using fax modem, I would like to get some
advice, my questions may sound naive to some of you.

Does a fax modem replace a regular fax machine, or it works with a fax machine?
How does it print fax documents received, through a printer?
Can we use it to fax regular paper documents?
When sending or receiving fax, how does it affect Mac performance?  We have Mac
IIcx and si.

I have a catalog from MacWarehouse which lists some brand names, such as:
ProModem Data/Fax modem, DoveFax, OrchidFax Modem, InterFax,...  any comments?
Thanks

Xiaowu Chen
PennState

vbob@umd5.umd.edu (Bob Shields) (05/10/91)

In article <91129.225123X03@psuvm.psu.edu> X03@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Since I don't have any experience using fax modem, I would like to get some
>advice, my questions may sound naive to some of you.
>
>Does a fax modem replace a regular fax machine, or it works with a fax machine?
>How does it print fax documents received, through a printer?
>Can we use it to fax regular paper documents?
>When sending or receiving fax, how does it affect Mac performance?  We have Mac
>IIcx and si.
>
>[...deleted...]
>Xiaowu Chen
>PennState

A fax modem will replace SOME of the function of a stand-alone fax machine.
It can send documents on your Mac (acting as a replacement printer driver)
and those with "receive" capability can also accept incoming faxes (but
only as bit-mapped images which cannot be editted in the manner in which
you edit a MacWrite document, for example.)  These images can be printed
to your printer.  A fax modem can not send data you have on paper (unless
you scan it in with a scanner -- however the cost of these two devices
is much more than a good stand-alone fax machine.)

From what I have heard, the software that drives these modems is still in
a somewhat "immature" phase at the moment.  However, many of the companies
which supply the software for their hardware are actively working on
improving their products.  (I.e.: you should be able to get free/cheap
upgrades for the programs as they become available.)  The May '91 edition
of MacUser reviewed a number of fax modems, although most of the companies
have updated their software since the testing was done.

Performance-wise, sending and receiving faxes is much slower thru these
modems than with a stand-alone machine.  However, faxes sent from the
Mac are much clearer and never suffer the "jaggies" that occur when a
piece of paper is fed slightly askew on a stand-alone.  A Mac can also
be programmed to send a fax in the middle of the night when the long-
distance rates are cheaper.

A number of companies use fax modems to send faxes, but list the phone
number of a stand-alone machine for receiving them because you don't
have to leave the CPU on all the time (to receive at night), and the
receiving software cannot determine exactly who the fax is for (only
a bit-mapped image is received.)  Also, printing bit-maps to a
LaserWriter is incredibly slower than a stand-alone fax.

I recently ordered (but have not yet received) the Prometheus ProModem
Ultima fax/data modem.  I intend to use it primarily for the 9600 baud
data capabilities, and only occasionally for faxes.  I've heard good
things about the data side, but the fax portion still needs improvement.
E-mail me in a few weeks and I'll let you know what the results are.

--
Bob Shields		 vbob@umd5.umd.edu