[comp.sys.mac.comm] Latest ZTERM Version?

barry@chatham.uucp (Barry Campbell) (05/03/91)

I'm a registered user of ZTERM, and am wondering if anyone on the net has
heard reliable information about upgrade plans, if any?

ZTERM is a super product, but I'm beginning to think that I should purchase a
commercial product that supports ZMODEM, scripting, and so on.  Does anyone
have any thoughts on what might be an appropriate solution, in the event that
the upgrade path for ZTERM is dead?

(I've got version 0.85, which to the best of my knowledge is the most recent;
it's dated 31 Oct 1989.  With System 7.0 coming out, I'm also interested in
getting a package with Comm Toolbox support...)

Barry Campbell
barry%chatham@duke.cs.duke.edu / UUCP: [...] mcnc!wolves!chatham!barry
Chatham Host BBS 919 932 1142 / Chapel Hill, North Carolina
"Pray for a good harvest, but don't stop hoeing." - Bohemian proverb

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (05/05/91)

In article <P64B21w164w@chatham.uucp> barry@chatham.uucp (Barry Campbell) writes:
>I'm a registered user of ZTERM, and am wondering if anyone on the net has
>heard reliable information about upgrade plans, if any?

The last posting I saw from Dave Alverson, about a month or two ago,
indicated that he was trying to get a new version out at about the
time System 7.0 comes out.  7.0 is supposed to be out a week from
Monday.  I haven't seen ZTerm 0.90 (or 1.0, or 12.7, or whatever)
yet.

>ZTERM is a super product, but I'm beginning to think that I should purchase a
>commercial product that supports ZMODEM, scripting, and so on.  Does anyone

I am also a registered owner of ZTerm.  I gave up and bought
Microphone II 3.0 last year when they had a special trade-up offer.
It runs slowly on my Plus, but the scripting is *very* nice.  Easy
to use *and* powerful.  On a IIci, the speed is much nicer (we
bought Microphone for the IIci on my desk at work).  The new version
of ZTerm is going to have to have some pretty significant
enhancements without a significant hit on speed to get me to switch
back.  If/when I get the SE/30 I've got my eyes on, I doubt anything
could get me to give up Microphone.

>(I've got version 0.85, which to the best of my knowledge is the most recent;
>it's dated 31 Oct 1989.  With System 7.0 coming out, I'm also interested in
>getting a package with Comm Toolbox support...)

The upcoming Microphone II 4.0 is supposed to have Comm Toolbox
support, or so I've heard.  Two or three of the programmers from
Software Ventures are on the net regularly--they could answer any
questions you might have.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

R.I.P. Radio Canada International   1942-1991

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May5.022920.7883@cbnewsj.att.com>, ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) writes:
>I am also a registered owner of ZTerm.  I gave up and bought
>Microphone II 3.0 last year when they had a special trade-up offer.
>It runs slowly on my Plus, but the scripting is *very* nice.  Easy
>to use *and* powerful.

	OK.  Dumb question time.  What, exactly, is scripting?  Apparently
it's *not* keyboard macros (my first guess), which Zterm appears to have.
That doesn't tell me what it *is*, though...

           John Price * * * * price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (05/06/91)

In article <00948244.C3E61580@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
>In article <1991May5.022920.7883@cbnewsj.att.com>, ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) writes:
>>I am also a registered owner of ZTerm.  I gave up and bought
>>Microphone II 3.0 last year when they had a special trade-up offer.
>>It runs slowly on my Plus, but the scripting is *very* nice.  Easy
>>to use *and* powerful.
>
>	OK.  Dumb question time.  What, exactly, is scripting?  Apparently
>it's *not* keyboard macros (my first guess), which Zterm appears to have.
>That doesn't tell me what it *is*, though...
>
>           John Price * * * * price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
>           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

Not a dumb question.  Scripting is a simplified programming environment,
either interpreted or compiled or compiled and lost (like HyperCard 2.0)
that has commands like 'wait until "Moof"' and the like, to control
how the program (in this case, a comm program) execures.  Hence, you can
have a script that logs into your account, etc.

BTW, I have yet to see a good scripting language on the mac sans HyperTalk.
It would be nice to see a com. program that contains a language similar
and unrestricted like (to) HyperCard's HyperTalk.  If you're not familiar
with scripting, check out HyperCard.

Steve Klingsporn

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May5.022920.7883@cbnewsj.att.com> ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) writes:

   In article <P64B21w164w@chatham.uucp> barry@chatham.uucp (Barry Campbell) writes:
   >(I've got version 0.85, which to the best of my knowledge is the
   >most recent; it's dated 31 Oct 1989.  With System 7.0 coming out,
   >I'm also interested in getting a package with Comm Toolbox
   >support...)

   The upcoming Microphone II 4.0 is supposed to have Comm Toolbox
   support, or so I've heard.  Two or three of the programmers from
   Software Ventures are on the net regularly--they could answer any
   questions you might have.

Versaterm has supported the Comm Toolbox for a while now.  The latest
version (v4.5) is shipping with the Comm Toolbox itself plus MacTCP
and both FTP and Telnet tools in addition to the standard Apple Serial
and Modem tools.

Nifty stuff, and you can't beat the price (around $80 mail order).

No ZMODEM though, only YMODEM, and although you can write simple
macros, there's no fancy scripting language.  Other than that, I love
it and have been using it for years now.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow - System Admin) (05/10/91)

|(I've got version 0.85, which to the best of my knowledge is the most recent;
|it's dated 31 Oct 1989.  With System 7.0 coming out, I'm also interested in
|getting a package with Comm Toolbox support...)

With this statement, I would like to know if the Comm Toolbox is going to be
built into System 7.0, or is it an add-on like it is now?

Gary
---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (05/10/91)

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:

   [ ... deleted stuff ... ]

>Versaterm has supported the Comm Toolbox for a while now.  The latest
>version (v4.5) is shipping with the Comm Toolbox itself plus MacTCP
>and both FTP and Telnet tools in addition to the standard Apple Serial
>and Modem tools.

>Nifty stuff, and you can't beat the price (around $80 mail order).

>No ZMODEM though, only YMODEM, and although you can write simple
>macros, there's no fancy scripting language.  Other than that, I love
>it and have been using it for years now.

   For those of you who want to know, there is another company making a
Zmodem tool for the CommToolBox.  A Kermit tool has already been written
and it should be released "real soon now".

   The Zmodem CommToolBox tool is now under development (with no set
release date) and if it is as good as the Kermit implementation, it  will
be useful for any program that uses the CommToolBox (e.g. VersaTerm and
MacTerminal's latest incarnation).

   Just thought some of you out there would like to know.

                              Cheers.

                             -- Pat --

     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \