[comp.sys.mac.comm] Downloading files in one-go?

lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Tony Lim) (05/12/91)

Hi, netters,

Can anyone tell me if there are any communication application which allow me
to download/upload files in one-go?  I am using a Mac+ connecting to the
Unix system through Telnet.  To download files from an anonymous FTP site,
I have to

A)  Transfer file from anonymous FTP site to our Unix system
    1)  ftp  ftp_site_address
    2)  TYPE anonymous
    3)  Type anything as password
    4)  Go to the right directory
    5)  Type get filename
    6)  Quit from ftp by typing "bye"

B)  Transfer file from Unix to Mac
    1) In Telnet, choose "Set Transfer Directory..."
    2) choose "Send FTP command" under Network
    3) type "Send filename"
    4) type "bye" to quit from ftp

C)  Decode binaries files
    1) Decode the BinHexed file
    2) Unstuffit file
    3) Using other decompress application if the above procedure fails.

All the above involve a lot of work (and repeat every time).  So, I am
looking for an application which only need me to put in

    1) Where is the file from:  ftp_site_address, directory, and filename
    2) Where is the file to: the folder name in my Mac disk

and the application takes care all other procedures.

Is such a smart thing avaiable?  I am sure this is the way to go.

Any pointer would be appreciated.

--Tony

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (05/12/91)

(Tony Lim describes laborious process for telnet-ing from his Mac + to UNIX box
so that he can ftp files to UNIX and then again to the Mac and then to decode
and decompress -- he wants to know if there is a quick and easy way....)

I note from your description that you have a NETWORK connection.  I.e., you are
using telnet to get from Mac to UNIX, not a serial telecommunications program.
Given this nice situation, there are several more optimal things you can do.

First, try getting the BYU version of NCSA Telnet.  It has an ftp client built
in, so you can ftp things directly to your Mac.  It works, but that's about the
only nice thing one can say about it (there is basically nothing that one could
call a user interface...).  Note that this will not save you lots of decoding
and decompressing, unless you are getting text files or files from another Mac.
Actually, I am not sure it does MacBinary -- I rarely use it....

My favorite way of doing this stuff is with HyperFTP.  It is a HyperCard stack
that implements a nice ftp client.  There is a pop-up menu into which you can
store frequently used addresses.  And you can double-click to download files or
change directories.  But best of all, it can un-BinHex files on the fly on a
download.  You no longer have to un-BinHex things!  It won't un-StuffIt things
or un-Compactor or ... things though.  I suppose one could do this in principle.
Double-click on a remote file and up comes a save as dialog for (each of) the
files IN the archive.  Someone please write this!

There is another program out there called XferIt which has similar features to
HyperFTP.  I just got it the other day and tried it out.  I have heard others
here say that it is really great, but I thought it was awful.  I have heard that
it is much faster than HyperFTP, but I don't know....  I _really_ don't think I
could have set it up incorrectly, btw.  What I found is that the directory up-
dates _seemed_ to take much longer than with HyperFTP.  And it is a neat idea to
keep a window around with the contents of a directory that one has previously
looked at.  The contents of most sites do not change much during one's ftp ses-
sion....  But I found it a real drag that the program will go out behind one's
back and "freshen up" these listings.  This is a problem since you can't do any-
thing while this new directory listing is being gotten (nothing in XferIt, any-
way).  I found that this happened _much_ more frequently than at the five minute
intervals at which the documentation claims it will happen -- but maybe my sense
of time is confused when I am ftp-ing things....  I hated it, but try it, you
may like it....

You can get HyperFTP from sumex as /info-mac/comm/hyperftp-13.hqx (Apple seems
to be moving things around currently and I couldn't find it just now on either
apple.apple.com or ftp.apple.com).  You can get an OLD version of Xfer-It (1.1)
in that directory.  I have 1.3.1, which should be on mondo.engin.umich.edu, as
that is where the author lists his e-mail address in the docs.  (My nameserver
is freaking out at the moment, so I can't verify the correct path and name....)

You should try downloading things with either of these programs from an archive
that keeps things in BinHex format to test auto-un-BinHex-ing and from an ar-
chive that keeps things in MacBinary format for real ease of downloading....
Try sumex.stanford.edu and rascal.ics.utexas.edu to start....

Hope this is useful to you or others....

+----   C   o   n   r   a   d       C   .       N   o   b   i   l   i     ----+
|         Harvard University          | Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu |
|       Office for Info. Tech.        |           conrad@popvax.harvard.edu   |
|        Information Services         | BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA          |
|     Technical & User Services       |           CONRAD AT HARVSPHB          |
|        1730 Cambridge Street        | voice:    (617) 495-8554              |
+----    Cambridge, MA  02138         | fax:      (617) 495-0715          ----+

bskendig@dew.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/13/91)

In article <2281@diemen.utas.edu.au> lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Tony Lim) writes:
>Can anyone tell me if there are any communication application which allow me
>to download/upload files in one-go?  I am using a Mac+ connecting to the
>Unix system through Telnet.

Yes, there is an easier way that what you describe.

>To download files from an anonymous FTP site, I have to

>A)  Transfer file from anonymous FTP site to our Unix system

A friend of mine told me (just last night, even!) about a command
named `proxy' in ftp, whereby you can open two connections at once in
one session, and files you `get' from one would be automatically `put'
to the other.  I haven't tried it yet, but I believe you just type
`proxy <command>' instead of just `command' for everything you want to
go to the second connection.  Therefore at this point you would:

- Hit Command-F to open an ftp session from NCSA Telnet to your Mac
- Go to the right directory
- Type `proxy open sumex-aim.stanford.edu' (or whatever other site name)
- Type `anonymous' as the user name, then anything at all for the password
- Type `proxy cd <path>', `proxy ls', or whatever else to navigate
- Type `proxy get <file>' or `proxy mget <regexp>' or whatever
- Quit from ftp by typing `bye'

If I'm right, the files should end up on your Mac without ever landing
on the Unix machine.  Am I correct?  (I haven't tried this yet.)

>C)  Decode binaries files
>    1) Decode the BinHexed file
>    2) Unstuffit file
>    3) Using other decompress application if the above procedure fails.

There's a Multifinder program named `Downline' (available from all the
normal places) that will watch a folder for files to appear in it.
When it finds a text file there it will un-binhex it, then it will
unstuff stuffed archives, and finally place the finished product into
another folder.

So it seems to me that the easiest way to cope with ftp is to set up
Downline on your Mac, then feed files to it through a proxy ftp
connection.

Piece of cake!  (Downline works like a charm.)

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (05/13/91)

Conrad Nobili just posted his tale of woe (and intrigue) re. XferIt. I
thought I was the only one with this problem.
XferIt is great (I think) as far as interface and functionality go, but
with the slow transaction process I'm experiencing it's next to useless.
The reason I don't just trash it is that *I saw it work like a charm*!!!
Then it started acting up. I've had this problem with all versions, from
1.1 to the current 1.3.1.

Since I'm totally puzzled as to why XferIt may be acting like this (other
TCP/IP apps I use work just fine), I'm asking others - in particular Conrad
- to briefly describe their soft/hardware. I'd suspect some INIT conflict,
but I tried shutting off all the INITs with no luck.
Steve (the author) is not aware of any such problems.

The setup(s) which gave me problems:

Mac SE and Mac II
System 6.0.4 and 6.0.5
3Com and Apple ethernet cards
XferIt 1.3.1 (and older)

Thanks in advance!
--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Tony Lim) (05/14/91)

Hi, there,

Thanks everyone who has responsed my question about "Download files in one-go"

Follow netlanders suggestions, I have tried XFerIt 1.3.  It works fine.
However, after I finish transferring job and try to quit from the program, the
screen become frozen, eventhough the mouse is still able to move.

The thing I have used:

System, Finder and MultiFinder, 6.0.7;

Appleshare 2.0.2

All INIT/CDEVs except MacTCP 1.0.1  are removed.

I am using 2.5M Mac+.

There is no any problem if using Finder instead Multifinder.

Can you give me any suggestions?

I will post a summary after I solve out this problem.

Many thanks, as always.

--Tony

makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May12.210540.3378@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:

> XferIt is great (I think) as far as interface and functionality go, but
> with the slow transaction process I'm experiencing it's next to useless.

What ?? Useless ?? I dont think so. I have used it almost everyday now
and find it very good. It is faster then any FTP program I have seen.

> The reason I don't just trash it is that *I saw it work like a charm*!!!
> Then it started acting up. I've had this problem with all versions, from
> 1.1 to the current 1.3.1.

I Think you should check your system. Something weird is going on there..

> Since I'm totally puzzled as to why XferIt may be acting like this (other
> TCP/IP apps I use work just fine), I'm asking others - in particular Conrad
> - to briefly describe their soft/hardware. I'd suspect some INIT conflict,
> but I tried shutting off all the INITs with no luck.
> Steve (the author) is not aware of any such problems.

INITS ?? may be. But  I have atleast 25 inits running under
multifinder and have no problem at all. I have not run finder for
about 8 months now.  XFerIt has not once crash on me.

> The setup(s) which gave me problems:
>
> Mac SE and Mac II
> System 6.0.4 and 6.0.5
> 3Com and Apple ethernet cards
> XferIt 1.3.1 (and older)

How much memory do you have  ? May be you should increase the system
heap of your Mac. It is the most know problem that macs crashes due to
small system heap. I have System 6.05 also  and no problem...

---
Hanz Makmur
Rutgers University