[comp.sys.mac.comm] VersaTerm 4.5 & TN3270

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (05/14/91)

Does anyone know of a TN3270 Communications Folder tool that will
allow VersaTerm 4.5 to connect to IBM style mainframes via the TN3270
protocol (if that is the correct term to use)?. There is of course,
the stand-alone application TN3270, and I can use the Telnet and
MacTCP tools to talk to the UNIX boxes here on campus. But to
communicate with our Amdahl MVS system, I have to go through a serial
port, using the serial tool, when I use VersaTerm. For me this works,
because I have access both to a serial line and ethernet/localtalk.
But many users on campus do not have access to the serial lines, and
VersaTerm has many useful features that TN3270 does not have. So, any
ideas or pointers?

--
X-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-X
X	           David Baird			xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (05/15/91)

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes:

>Does anyone know of a TN3270 Communications Folder tool that will
>allow VersaTerm 4.5 to connect to IBM style mainframes via the TN3270
>protocol (if that is the correct term to use)?.

VersaTerm does not use the Terminal Tools from the Communications
Toolbox. There is a 3270 tool out there somewhere (there was something
in comp.sys.mac.announce some time back), but VersaTerm will not be
able to use it. I think this is the major problem with VersaTerm.

PacerTerm, which is due out relatively soon, uses all of the CTB
Managers and therefore should work just fine with a 3270 tool.  I
talked to Matt Kingman, one of the developers at Pacer, and this thing
looks like it will be a pretty slick piece of software for the price.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.180623.8339@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
>xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes:
>

>>Does anyone know of a TN3270 Communications Folder tool that will
>>allow VersaTerm 4.5 to connect to IBM style mainframes via the TN3270
>>protocol (if that is the correct term to use)?.
>
>VersaTerm does not use the Terminal Tools from the Communications
>Toolbox. There is a 3270 tool out there somewhere (there was something
>in comp.sys.mac.announce some time back), but VersaTerm will not be
>able to use it. I think this is the major problem with VersaTerm.

If VersaTerm is not using the Communications Toolbox, then what are
the tools that they are enclosing with the package that are placed in
the Extensions folder (under System 7.0), including Serial Tool, Modem
tool, Telnet tool, LAT tool, ADSP tool (for localtalk connections).
There are also File Transfer Tools, including a FTP Tool. Remember, I
specifically said VersaTerm 4.5, not version 4.1.1 which did not
support any of this.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.192956.10173@midway.uchicago.edu> xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes:
>In article <1991May14.180623.8339@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
>>VersaTerm does not use the Terminal Tools from the Communications
>>Toolbox.
>If VersaTerm is not using the Communications Toolbox, then what are
>the tools that they are enclosing with the package?

Connection Tools.

The Communications Toolbox has three classes of tools; Connection, Terminal,
File Transfer.  The first is concerned with data streams (eg, modem vs telnet
vs ADSP), the second with terminal emulation (eg, vt100 vs 3270 vs tek4110),
and the third with file transfer (eg, Xmodem vs ftp vs kermit).

An application can (like VersaTerm) choose to support Connection Tools, but
do its own terminal emulation, ignoring the Terminal tools.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner