[comp.sys.mac.comm] BinHex: 9600 baud transfers

altman@socrates.ucsf.edu (John Altman) (05/14/91)

I've been having problems transferring BinHex'd files from my SE
at home to a unix box at school at 9600 baud but not at 2400 baud.
The transfers seem to get stuck at the same place each time.  I have
no problems transfering English text files of any size at 9600 baud.

I'm using VersatermPro 1.0 (it's served me well all this time) and using
the MacXmodem protocol.  I use macput and macget on the unix end, with
the -u option.

Any help you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.  Please send me
mail, and I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks,
John
--
John Altman                                    *  altman@picasso.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, S-926  *

chou@steelhead.cs.washington.edu (Pai Hsiang Chou) (05/14/91)

In article <altman.674191486@socrates.ucsf.edu> altman@socrates.ucsf.edu (John Altman) writes:
>I've been having problems transferring BinHex'd files from my SE
>at home to a unix box at school at 9600 baud but not at 2400 baud.
>The transfers seem to get stuck at the same place each time.  I have
>no problems transfering English text files of any size at 9600 baud.

I have a 9600 baud direct serial connection, and I am having
a similar but slightly different problem.

At 9600 baud, my downloads usually work ok, but occasionally
the files (particularly binhex ones) get corrupted.  But when I try
to upload, Kermit, Xmodem, Ymodem, or Zmodem would keep resending
the same packet over and over again, regardless of the file type.
In one extreme case, it took 45 seconds to upload at 2400 baud,
and almost 3 minutes to upload the same file at 9600 baud!

I tried various handshaking combinations but nothing really worked.
Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks

Pai Chou
chou@june.cs.washington.edu

spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (05/16/91)

This sort of problem (unable to up/download at 9600 baud) is usually
caused by the receiving computer being unable to keep up with 9600
baud input (and therefore losing characters).  I have not had a
problem downloading to my Mac II, but have had problems uploading to
Unix boxes.  In particular, I had a lot of problems with my Sun-3.
Now that I have a DEC 3100, the problems have gone away.

--
=Spencer W. Thomas 		EECS Dept, U of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
spencer@eecs.umich.edu		313-936-2616 (8-6 E[SD]T M-F)