[comp.sys.mac.comm] Ethernet cards and s/w on Macs?

naiming@eng.umd.edu (Naiming Shen) (05/10/91)

We want to use Ethernet to connect our Macs to Unix system. Can someone
give me ideas about cheap Ethernet interface cards for Mac and what
kind of software we need to be able to use ftp? Are there public domain
software for that? Thanks in advance.

  Naiming Shen
  naiming@bagend.eng.umd.edu

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (05/11/91)

naiming@eng.umd.edu (Naiming Shen) writes:

> We want to use Ethernet to connect our Macs to Unix system. Can
> someone give me ideas about cheap Ethernet interface cards for Macs.

I just saw an ad in the April 30th issue of MacWEEK.  It is for
ethernet cards for only $199.  It is from Sonic Systems and
according to the ad it handles thin wire and twisted pair.

They have boards available for Mac IIs, SEs, SE/30s, Mac IIsi's, and
even the LC.  They say that they don't need any additiopnal
transcievers or slot adaptors even for the IIsi.  I have never seen
these boards in action so I can say if the ad is true or not.  Their
phone numers are listed as (800)535-0725, (408)725-1400, and
Fax # (408)725-0759.

Has anyone out there used products from this company?  Can you recommend
or not recommend these boards?  And other ideas?

--- Pat ---------------------------------> hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov

3IU4TOB@CMUVM.BITNET (05/16/91)

I am suddenly also interested in connecting our Macs (low end models) to Ethern
et since Ethernet is being installed in our building. I know almost nothing abo
ut the details of doing this (this is my first time reading this discussion.) I
need to know about Ethernet cards and TCP/IP communications software. I see Mac
Tcp mentioned and am guessing that it might be of interest. Cost is an importan
t consideration for us. Someone has suggested using an 8088 machine with a Loca
ltalk card to connect our Localtalk network to Eithernet. Is this worth conside
ring? Any helpful information would be appreciated.