[net.railroad] Ties

Nicholas.Spies@H.CS.CMU.EDU (09/19/85)

	 The interesting messages about rail technology prompts me to
	 ask whether any of you know what has happened to the idea of
	 using pre-stressed concrete for RR ties. Also, what is the
	 service life of rails, ties, and the track bed? As the three
	 are a integral unit it would be interesting to know what the
	 ideal qualities of each would be, which may suggest new ways
	 to build tracks requiring less maintenance, give longer
	 service life, etc.

	 For instance, would simple heat pipes driven into the ground
	 dissipate heat and relieve thermal stress on rails or is it
	 not important enough to justify the expense? Would rails (and
	 wheels) benefit from laser annealing to reduce deformation? Or
	 is this not cost-effective? Would magnetized "sleds" using a
	 generator driven by wheels during breaking be more effective
	 than breaking only with wheels?

In article <1591@brl-tgr.ARPA> Nicholas.Spies@H.CS.CMU.EDU writes:

>	 The interesting messages about rail technology prompts me to
>	 ask whether any of you know what has happened to the idea of
>	 using pre-stressed concrete for RR ties. Also, what is the
>	 service life of rails, ties, and the track bed? As the three
>	 are a integral unit it would be interesting to know what the
>	 ideal qualities of each would be, which may suggest new ways
>	 to build tracks requiring less maintenance, give longer
>	 service life, etc.

The AMTRAK line from DC to NY is all laid with concrete ties.  It's the most
massive-looking right-of-way I've ever seen.

Charley Wingate

drockwel@CSNET-SH.ARPA (Dennis Rockwell) (09/19/85)

	From: Nicholas.Spies@h.cs.cmu.edu
	Date: 18 Sep 1985 19:18-EST
	Subject: Ties

	 The interesting messages about rail technology prompts me to
	 ask whether any of you know what has happened to the idea of
	 using pre-stressed concrete for RR ties.

I can report on what I've seen recently.  AMTRAK is apparently using
concrete ties in the Washington area (specifically in the NE Corridor near
New Carrolton), but not in other places (like around DC Union Station). The
MBTA is using concrete base plates (each taking the place of about four
ties) in new tunnels (esp. in new areas of the Red Line subway), but is
still using wooden ties for new track outdoors, and in the reconstructed
areas of the Green Line (LRVs and PCCs).  The DC Metro follows the Red Line
scheme.  B&M, while laying all this new welded rail, is still using wooden
ties, at least in the places I've seen.

jar@siemens.UUCP (09/23/85)

	                             Would magnetized "sleds" using a
	 generator driven by wheels during breaking be more effective
	 than breaking only with wheels?

It seems to be effective because in Germany every passenger car which
may run 125 mph has magnetic brakes. There are 4 sleds per car and they
are powered by the locomotive (as far as I know). This breaking system
is in addition to the regular system (with air pressure). I do not know
which system is used in which case although I used such a train because
the regular system has now discs just like the cars have and it doesn't
make the awfully noise. There is also a third system only on the locomotive
where the motors are used as generators. This system is the most effective
one because the energie feeds the powersupply and is not converted to heat.
This system is in use as long as it provides a sufficient reduction of
speed, if necessary another system is used in addition. Just another detail
I read in a railroad magazine in Germany: If you use the magnetic brakes in
an emergency to reduce the speed from 125 mph to zero, the force will be as
strong as a DC-10 during take-off and you must repair the tracks thereafter
because in this case the slids are nearly clued to the tracks.

Dan_Bower%RPI-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (09/23/85)

Concrete ties have a number of advantages.  They mass 3 to 4 times that of
a wood tie, giving the track far greater inertia.  This makes it harder
for a train to knock it out of alignment.  With the quality of concrete
used today, life estimates range from 40 to 50 years.  (This compares to
30 years for a wood tie.  Both figures are for ideal conditions.  Poor
drainage, extremely heavy traffic, etc. can cut the life of any tie in
half or less.)
Also, because of the way a concrete tie deteriorates (it's either broken
or it ain't) you can use a wider spacing between them than with wood ties.
With wood, you expect a gradual deterioration and compensate by putting in
more than is needed if they performed like new for their entire lives.
19 1/2" to 22" is typical on mainlines for wood ties.  With concrete,
30" is common, as a 30" inch spacing is adequate for support and gauge, IF
all the ties are up to snuff.

There are some disadvantages with concrete ties.  One, you can't mix them
with wood.  Because of concrete's greater rigidity, the concrete ties in
mixed track would quickly end up supporting all the load of the train.
If you want to use concrete, you have to replace all the ties all at once.
Concrete is a lot harder to handle.  Two guys can't just grab one and walk
away with it like they can with wood.  Concrete ties make for more ridgid
track, giving a noiser, rougher ride than wood ties.  (There are special
cushion pads to go between the rail and tie, at an extra cost, of course.)
Finally, going with concrete requires a very large capital expendature.
As you may know, new capital is scarce on most railroads these days.

Also, most concrete ties are not adjustable for gauge.  On curves, rail
will wear allowing a widened gauge.  With wood ties, you pull the spikes,
plug the holes, move the rail into gauge and spike it back down.  With
concrete, you only have the choice of transposing the rail or swapping it
with the low side of the curve.  Both alternatives require immediate
rail grinding to undo the high side wear and low side deformation.

Re: rail life
It depends on where the rail is, what steel it's made of, and what runs on
it.  On lightly used branch lines, rail lasts (practically) forever.
On heavy mains, rail on tangents may last as long as 35 to 45 years if
the track is kept in good surface.  On curves, the faster the trains go
the more they will abrade the high side rail.  They heavier they are,
the more they deform the low side.  In the worst cases, rail gets worn
faster than the traffic can work harden the surface, and it wears out in
3 or 4 years.  If the rail was heat treated or of a special alloy, you
might get 50% to 100% more life out of it.  There are also some asymetrical
grinding tricks that can prolong rail life on moderate curves.  These
involve grinding the high rail so that the wheel is in contact close to
the flange (where the radius of the wheel is greatest) and grinding the
low rail so the wheel rides on the outside of the tread.  This has a
slight self steering effect which can double rail life on curves up to
2 to 3 degrees.  Curve lubrication has been used for some time.  This
does reduce abrasive wear, but it reduces traction and has been observed
to increase deformation.  (The problem with reducing traction is that if
the engine slips, the engineer drops sand.  The grease holds the sand
to the rail, greatly increasing abrasive wear.  Some railroads with
double track lines only put curve greasers on the track where traffic is
mostly downgrade.)

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (09/25/85)

> 	 The interesting messages about rail technology prompts me to
> 	 ask whether any of you know what has happened to the idea of
> 	 using pre-stressed concrete for RR ties.

British Railways has been using concrete ties* for all new track on fast
lines for years.  I don't know if they still have any wooden ties left.
In a few places they have experimented with a continuous concrete trackbed.

*Called "sleepers" in Britain, of course.

The French TGV line has concrete ties that disappear below the ballast
in the center, giving the appearance of those antique British lines that
had no cross-ties at all, only stone blocks under the rails.

Speaking of antique British lines, I think it might be of interest to
remind people of the original track construction on the Great Western
Railway (of Britain).  This track was 7 feet 1/4 inch in gauge (so that
the wheel flanges were 7 feet apart  exactly).  The load-bearing sleepers
were laid longitudinally, so that the rails were continuously supported.
Cross-ties were placed at intervals of about 10 feet, I think, to maintain
the gauge.  Originally the cross-ties ran continuously across both tracks
(I don't know how they were fastened to the sleepers), and were supported
on vertical piles.  All of this was in wood, of course.  The piles were
removed early on when it was realized that they only impeded resilience,
but the longitudinal-sleeper system survived for many years.  When the GWR
was finally regauged to standard gauge* in 1892, the cross-ties had to be
sawed to the proper length and the rail and longitudinal sleeper moved in.

There is still longitudinal-sleeper track in Paddington Station, London.

*Standard gauge means whatever your 4 feet 8 1/4 inch wheel flanges will
fit.  Traditionally this has been 4 feet 8 1/2 inches, but lines with
stricter tolerance use 4 feet 8 3/8 inches.

Here in Toronto, some of the newer above-ground parts of the subway
system (which, incidentally, is 4 feet 10 7/8 inches gauge) use concrete
ties and Pandrol clips.

Mark Brader