[comp.sys.mac.comm] NCSA Telnet 2.4b11

sbulmahn@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Dr Thrasher) (05/10/91)

NCSA Telnet version 2.4b11 is now available on anonymous ftp from
zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  This version fixes the problem with TEK images not
being able to zoom.  Now both TEK4014 and TEK4105 images are able to zoom,
including full-color zooms for 4105 emulation.

There is also a screen updating bug that has been fixed, which was causing
problems with full
screen editors on VMS systems (such as EVE).  The connection dialog now
only allows valid characters as input, and filters out all
control/option/command sequences.  Some other minor cosmetic problems have
been fixed.

If you are interested, please take the time to upgrade to this version,
and let us know how it goes.  Any bug reports/comments should be sent to:
mactelnet@ncsa.uiuc.edu

Thanks for your time
Scott Bulmahn
NCSA

park@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Yongsup Park) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May9.173511.8909@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> sbulmahn@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Dr Thrasher) writes:

>NCSA Telnet version 2.4b11 is now available on anonymous ftp from
>zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  This version fixes the problem with TEK images not

This version can't be launced from a saved set.
Is there any other trick or just a plain bug ?

>If you are interested, please take the time to upgrade to this version,
>and let us know how it goes.  Any bug reports/comments should be sent to:
>mactelnet@ncsa.uiuc.edu

Mail bounces.
--
Yongsup Park                 / park@casbah.acns.nwu.edu / Man can apprehend
Physics and Astronomy Dept. / park@anmsd3.msd.anl.gov  / things beyond the pale

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May17.034331.27876@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> park@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Yongsup Park) writes:
>In article <1991May9.173511.8909@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> sbulmahn@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Dr Thrasher) writes:
>>
>>NCSA Telnet version 2.4b11 is now available on anonymous ftp from
>>zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  This version fixes the problem with TEK images not
>
>This version can't be launced from a saved set.
>Is there any other trick or just a plain bug ?

Hmmm.  I have been launching 2.4b11 (MacTCP) from saved sets since the day Scott
posted his notice.  I suspect there might be something else going on....  One
kind of weird and disturbing thing that I noticed might shed some light....

Here at home I have a monster E-Machines Z21 monitor set at 80dpi.  At this
resolution I have 1280 x 960 = 1,228,800 pixels.  You get the idea, big.  I have
a telnet set saved for popvax.harvard.edu which is 24 x 80 Courier 18pt.  (I use
Liaison to establish a _network_ connection from home....)  (I would LIKE to be
able to use _other_ fonts and _larger_ font sizes, but this seems to be a low
priority bug in telnet, as it has been around for many versions....)  I have my
telnet session along the bottom of my screen, and a tn3270 session at the top.
The saved sets and settings remember this day to day without any problems.

Here is the interesting part.  With 2.4b11, all of a sudden I noticed that when
I was firing up the popvax set on the SE/30 at work without an external monitor,
it was taking a _real_ long time to open a session.  In fact, longer than I get
before telnet gives up and presents a dialog when there are network problems.
(Oh yeah, I have an iDS Wip 120 MB (very) portable drive, which is why I was
using the same telnet set....)  Needless to say I was looking curiously in the
Connections menu, and noticed that in fact it looked like I had a session open.
The check mark next to the name tipped me off....

So, it seems that my saved session was opening up OFF SCREEN!  The location of
my window _right now_ is in fact beyond the reach of the pixels of a "classic"
screen.  It sure seems like someone forgot something....  (In the past, the ses-
sion would simply come up in a smaller font in a window scaled appropriately for
the tiny screen....)

>>If you are interested, please take the time to upgrade to this version,
>>and let us know how it goes.  Any bug reports/comments should be sent to:
>>mactelnet@ncsa.uiuc.edu
>
>Mail bounces.

_I_ am lazy.  And besides, they probably read this newsgroup.

>--
>Yongsup Park                 / park@casbah.acns.nwu.edu / Man can apprehend
>Physics and Astronomy Dept. / park@anmsd3.msd.anl.gov  / things beyond the pale
>Northwestern University    / B40180@ANLCV1.BITNET     / of his imagination.
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+----   C   o   n   r   a   d       C   .       N   o   b   i   l   i     ----+
|         Harvard University          | Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu |
|       Office for Info. Tech.        |           conrad@popvax.harvard.edu   |
|        Information Services         | BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA          |
|     Technical & User Services       |           CONRAD AT HARVSPHB          |
|        1730 Cambridge Street        | voice:    (617) 495-8554              |
+----    Cambridge, MA  02138         | fax:      (617) 495-0715          ----+

kanala@sc2a.unige.ch (05/21/91)

In article <1991May17.034331.27876@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, park@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Yongsup Park) writes:
[...deleted...]
> This version can't be launced from a saved set.
> Is there any other trick or just a plain bug ?
>
> Yongsup Park                 / park@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

I have noted that in former versions of Telnet, b9 and b10, and mailed to ncsa.
The remedy is easy: just set the bundle bit on. With ResEdit, "Get File/Folder
Info..." from File menu, select NCSA Telnet, and set the "Bundle" check box on.
Save the changes, update directory (the easiest way is to restart), it should
run. It works for me.

Roman Kanala, CUEPE, University of Geneva, Switzerland, kanala@sc2a.unige.ch