[comp.sys.mac.comm] Software for use with DAL ?

white@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Dave White) (05/21/91)

Is there any software (PD or otherwise) that uses DAL - the Database extension  that is installed with System 7 ?  Is there some way of using it without anything else ?  (You can tell that I haven't got the manuals :-))
	Anyone ?  Anyone ?

Thanks in advance (anyone come up with a word for that yet ? :)),

Dave.

--
|O|       Do you realise how long it's taken       |O|
|O|        me to think of this .signature ?        |O|

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May21.053216.1970@newshost.anu.edu.au> white@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Dave White) writes:
>Is there any software (PD or otherwise) that uses DAL - the Database extension  that is installed with System 7 ?  Is there some way of using it without anything else ?

Well, you can use Excel 3.0, 4th Dimension (with an addon), Clear Access,
and a few other packages (it's been strongly rumored that several Claris
products will soon support it, as well).  Of course, you need to connect
with some machine (like a VAX) which has a DAL server running on it.
Apple recently announced that DAL server software would be available for
a whole slew of machines, but at this point, you'll have difficulty
finding one, unless you install it yourself.

John Heckendorn
--
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A

patel@mwunix.mitre.org (Anup C. Patel) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May21.053216.1970@newshost.anu.edu.au> white@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Dave White) writes:
>Is there any software (PD or otherwise) that uses DAL - the Database extension  that is installed with System 7 ?  Is there some way of using it without anything else ?  (You can tell that I haven't got the manuals :-))
>	Anyone ?  Anyone ?
>
>Thanks in advance (anyone come up with a word for that yet ? :)),
>
>Dave.
>
>--
>|O|       Do you realise how long it's taken       |O|
>|O|        me to think of this .signature ?        |O|
>|O|         Dave.White@vulcan.anu.edu.au      	   |O|

I believe MS Excel 3.0 has DAL capabilities.  I have Excel 3.0 for Mac, and
want to access our SQL database on a IBM mainframe.  DAL should help, although
I think the mainframe also needs some form of a front-end process to accept
DAL connections.