[comp.sys.mac.comm] NFS client software

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (05/19/91)

I would like to hear some opinions of various NFS client software
packages in existance. I want to mount my 660meg drive on my SE.
I already have an ethernet card and MacTCP.

I would also like to able to print to the Network printer, which
is postscript, but not Appletalk.

Thanks,
MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
	- Celibacy is a curable condition -

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May18.200809.21458@wam.umd.edu>, mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D.
Callaghan) writes:

> I would like to hear some opinions of various NFS client software
> packages in existance. I want to mount my 660meg drive on my SE.
> I already have an ethernet card and MacTCP.
>
> I would also like to able to print to the Network printer, which
> is postscript, but not Appletalk.
>
> Thanks,
> MikeC
>
> --
> Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
> 	- Celibacy is a curable condition -

Ok,

There are three packages that I know of.  NFS/Share (ours), MacPathWay NFS
Client (Wollongong), and GatorShare (Cayman).

I will let others tell you of the differences between them,  but I would like
to point out something about printing.  Printing from the Mac to another non
AppleTalk printer will most likely always be a seperate package (because of
some problems that are just there).  Hence Wollongong provides a LPR server
with their NFS but it is only good for printing from UNIX to the Mac, not bi-
directionally.  GatorPrint is a much better solution, but it is a seperate
package.  We currently do not provide a printing solution, but point people at
the PD packages that are out there, or towards GatorPrint, if that is what they
need.

What we feel would be better is being kicked around here at InterCon, and
perhaps we will at some point have something that answers these needs, but
currently we feel that what is on the market, both PD and commercial doesn't
really do the entire job.

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh

malc@equinox.unr.edu (Malcolm Carlock) (05/22/91)

In article <28380DFA.964@intercon.com> kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:

>We currently do not provide a printing solution, but point people at
>the PD packages that are out there

Would you be willing to post some of these pointers?

--

Malcolm L. Carlock                      Internet:  malc@unr.edu
                                        UUCP:      unr!malc