[comp.sys.mac.comm] System 7 and EtherTalk

gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu (Mario Gonzales) (05/18/91)

Hello Netters:

I have recently installed system 7.0 and when I finally got the whole thing
in place I found the I could not get the Network to come up.

I Used the Install EtherTalk option in the Install and when I go into the
control Panels folder and select Networks: I get two icons:

Local AppleTalk and Ethertalk (Both Icons look like the Ones that came from
system 7.0)  One diffrence is the the new ethertalk Icon has double arrows
unlike the sigle arrowed Apple talk that we used to have.

We are trying to get the system running on a MacIIsi with No Inits.

One piece of software that we used in the older system intstalation was
DynaPort.  When I ran the Intallation program it said the The File System
was of the wrong type.

So does this mean no system 7.0 for us?  Do we need new software even though
we just purchased the DynaPort about a month ago?  Alot of If....

IF :-} any one out there has installed 7.0 and have a similar setup (maybe
even using EtherTalk and DynaPort) could you tell me what you did to set it up.

I can't figure out where to put some of the software that we had for the sytem
even though the system folder is supposed to smart.  I let the system place
the files and that didn't work either.

Configuration:
MacIIsi, No inits, Barebones System Software ver 7.0, hardDrive, Novell
FileServer runing off an IBM, DynaPort Ehternet Board.

Thanks for any Help in Advance,

Mario L. Gonzales

| Mario L. Gonzales    | gonzalm@prism.cs.orst.edu  <HOME>  | Oregon State   |
| Wilson Hall #311     | gonzalm@mist.cs.orst.edu           | Univeristy     |
| Corvallis, OR        |------------------------------------|================|
| 97331-1413           | Life is easier than you think; all | University     |
|                      | that is necessary is to accept the | Computing      |
|----------------------+ impossible, do without the         | Services (UCS) |
| IBM PC & MAC         | indispensable, and bear the        |----------------|
| Literate :-}         | intolerable. -Kathleen Norris      | Kerr Comp. Lab |
+----------------------+------------------------------------+----------------+

rpike@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (05/18/91)

The double arrow on the ethertalk icon means that it is an appletalk phase 2 driver.  If your network does not support phase 2 it would be a definite problem.Normally you can just drag copy the phase 1 icon into the system folder and then use either phase 1 or phase 2.  I have not tried it with system 7, however.  You could probably talk to the manufacturer of the card to make sure you have the appropriate drivers.

Ron Pike
CSU Chico
rpike@oavax.csuchico.edu

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (05/20/91)

rpike@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU writes:

>The double arrow on the ethertalk icon means that it is an appletalk phase 2 driver.  If your network does not support phase 2 it would be a definite problem.Normally you can just drag copy the phase 1 icon into the system folder and then use either phase 1 or phase 2.  I have not tried it with system 7, however.  You could probably talk to the manufacturer of the card to make sure you have the appropriate drivers.

>Ron Pike
>CSU Chico
>rpike@oavax.csuchico.edu

Yes, you can just drag an EtherTalk phase 1 file into the Extensions Folder
and it will work just fine after selecting it with the Network CDEV.
This is a tested/blessed configuration.

However, the original poster also had problems with a 3rd party Ethernet
card not working after upgrading to System 7.

Unless you run an Apple Ethernet card (or clone), you need to talk to your
vendor; you will need a new installer at a minimum, and if you want to run
virtual memory, your vendor needs to make some software mods to their
driver to ensure it does not cause a page fault at interrupt level.

In the interim, you can make your card work with a little ResEdit work.
Just copy the .ENET 'DRVR' resource from the your old installer disk and
paste it into your System 7 file.  Note that this is a HACK! When you get
your System 7 compatible installer from your vendor, you MUST re-run
the System 7 installer and reinstall EtherTalk before running the vendor's
installer.

Mike Shoemaker
Apple Computer, Inc.

diessel@exunido.uucp (Thomas Diessel) (05/22/91)

Today I have installed System 7 on a Mac II. This Mac has an ethernet card
from Novell/Shiva.  The original driver for this EtherPort II card doesn't
work under System 7. I have used all subfolders in the system folder to no
avail.  Trying to switch to EtherTalk in the network control panel doesn't
work.
Do I need a new driver?
If so where can I get it (preferably via ftp)?
Where do I have to install it?

Thomas Diessel
University of the Federal Armed Forces at Munich
CS Dept.
Werner-Heisenberg-Weg 39
D-W-8014 Neubiberg
Germany
E-Mail: diessel@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de

ukt101@ukcc.uky.edu (Charles Bynaker) (05/22/91)

In article <3270@laura.UUCP> diessel@exunido.uucp (Thomas Diessel) writes:
>Today I have installed System 7 on a Mac II. This Mac has an ethernet card
>from Novell/Shiva.  The original driver for this EtherPort II card doesn't
>work under System 7. I have used all subfolders in the system folder to no
>avail.  Trying to switch to EtherTalk in the network control panel doesn't
>work.
>Do I need a new driver?
>If so where can I get it (preferably via ftp)?
>Where do I have to install it?
>
>Thomas Diessel
>University of the Federal Armed Forces at Munich
>CS Dept.
>Werner-Heisenberg-Weg 39
>D-W-8014 Neubiberg
>Germany
>E-Mail: diessel@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de

The University of Kentucky was a beta site for System 7.0 and required the use
of ethernet on Etherport II cards. I was able to acquire the beta 7.0 driver
from Shiva for the EtherPort II (short card), we have also used it to update
existing SEs. I am not at liberty to distribute these.
																																														Charles