[comp.sys.mac.comm] Need help for Zterm file transfer

yguo@cci632.cci.com (Yi Guo) (05/17/91)

I got a Zterm-085 program from sumex, but I don't know how can I transfer
a file (Text or Binary) from a Unix machine at work to my LC at home.
Do I need some program at Unix machine to send the file first just like
what Kermit does?

I heard that Zterm transfers file very fast. So I really like to have
some experience before I send the registration.

Thanks for any help in advance!

yguo@sunsrvr2.cci.com

david@world.std.com (david c spiegelman) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.183741.12640@cci632.cci.com> yguo@sun85.UUCP (Yi Guo) writes:
>I got a Zterm-085 program from sumex, but I don't know how can I transfer
>a file (Text or Binary) from a Unix machine at work to my LC at home.
>Do I need some program at Unix machine to send the file first just like
>what Kermit does?
>
>I heard that Zterm transfers file very fast. So I really like to have
>some experience before I send the registration.

First off, the only thing that makes Zterm fast is its ability to transfer
files using the Z-Modem protocol (hence the name Zterm).  In order to use this
capability, your host (Unix machine) must support this.  If it does, do the
following:

     For binary downloads (receive file(s) from host)

     % sz file1 file2 file3 ...

     For text downloads

     % sz -a file1 file2 ...

For uploads (send file(s) to host ), you will to first configure <ZModem Parms>
in the Settings Menu.  Select rz (Unix).  To upload a binary file, simply
select <Send Zmodem...> from the <File> menu.  And select the file(s) you wish
to upload.

To upload text you must modify the " rz^M " to " rz -a^M ".  You send the file
as in the previous example.

Note: None of this works if your host does not support Zmodem transfers.

Note: Zmodem is only slightly faster than XModem-1K.  What makes it so
      desirable is its many added features which makes it my first and only
      choice.  These are:

      1) Auto file receive detect
      2) Batch Transfers
      3) Ability to resume partial transfers
      4) Heavy duty error correction (32 bit)
      5) Auomatic 1K block size

I hope I haven't left anything important out.  It should get you pointed in
the right direction at least.

+--------------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| David C. Spiegelman                        |  "Capitalism is not Democracy"  |
|    david@world.std.com (Internet)          |        - Consolidated           |
| ...!uunet!world!david  (Usenet)            |  "I was up above it.            |
| THE WORLD, Public Access UNIX for the '90s |   Now I'm down in it."  - NIN   |
+--------------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Anyone who says you're living in a free country is not lying, just mistaken. |

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May17.131326.19179@world.std.com>, david@world.std.com (david c spiegelman) writes:
> Note: Zmodem is only slightly faster than XModem-1K

This is not entirely true.  XMODEM-1K still is a half-duplex transmission,
which means that every block must be acknowledged.  ZMODEM only acknowledges
when the transfer is complete, and requests bad blocks as it goes along.
Therefore, a good ZMODEM transfer will have a start send message, then the
file gets sent, and the receiver acknowledges that the transfer was successful.
XMODEM, regardless of flavor, still requires an acknowledgement (positive
OR negative) on every block, which means that the receiver still has to
send that a block was successfully received.

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:   G.AUSTIN3                  | AOnline:   GAustin                    |