[comp.sys.mac.comm] Summary: Download files in one-go.

lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Tony Lim) (05/26/91)

Two weeks ago, I posted here to ask if there are any applications that enable
me to download files in one-go.  I have got overwhelming answers. Thanks to
everyone who has emailed me directly or posted on the net regarding the
question.  I appreciate your responses.  Due to the large number of responses
I received, I won't be able to reply to you individually.

The following are the original question and the responses.

QUESTION:

>Can anyone tell me if there are any communication application which allow me
>to download/upload files in one-go?  I am using a Mac+ connecting to the
>Unix system through Telnet.  To download files from an anonymous FTP site,
>I have to

>A)  Transfer file from anonymous FTP site to our Unix system
>    1)  ftp  ftp_site_address
>    2)  TYPE anonymous
>    3)  Type anything as password
>    4)  Go to the right directory
>    5)  Type get filename
>    6)  Quit from ftp by typing "bye"

>B)  Transfer file from Unix to Mac
>    1) In Telnet, choose "Set Transfer Directory..."
>    2) choose "Send FTP command" under Network
>    3) type "Send filename"
>    4) type "bye" to quit from ftp

>C)  Decode binaries files
>    1) Decode the BinHexed file
>    2) Unstuffit file
>    3) Using other decompress application if the above procedure fails.

>All the above involve a lot of work (and repeat every time).  So, I am
>looking for an application which only need me to put in

>    1) Where is the file from:  ftp_site_address, directory, and filename
>    2) Where is the file to: the folder name in my Mac disk

>and the application takes care all other procedures.

>Is such a smart thing avaiable?  I am sure this is the way to go.

ANSWERs:

1)  If your Mac is connecting to Unix via MacTCP, the best is to run
    XferIt and Downline at the same time under multifinder.  Downline
    will automaticaly un-binhex and un-stuff files.  It is GREAT!!!

    This is almost what I want!

    I like this approach, but XferIt (1.3.1 or order) still does not work
    for some people.  The author of XferIt just released (5/24/91) a new
    version 1.4b1.  I have tried it, it works great.  You can anonymous ftp
    the file at mondo.engin.umich.edu under the directory /pub.

    The Downline can be anonymous ftped at sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  It can
    automatically un-binhex and decompress those filed compressed by stuffit
    or packit. According to the author of Downline:

    "Stuffit Classic, Stuffic Deluxe, and Compator files are not decoded by
     Downline, and won't be until the creators of these products publish their
     archive format or send me the specifications.  If you want to speed up
     process, write them and tell them that archive formats by their nature
     should be public domain and that you are boycotting any proprietary
     formats, including theirs".

    So, let us write to the authors of above compressing products and ask them
    to forward their archive formats to the author of Downline.  In that case,
    We would only need to run  XferIt and Downline, and quickly get those
    ready-to-use applications.

2)  Using HyperTCP and Downline. HyperTCP seems works well for most people.
    However, it seems much slow than XferIt.  So, if XferIt don't like you,
    just use HyperTCP.

3)  A commercial application called MacFTP which will download, un-binhex
    and un-stuff all at once.  It also handles multiple files, folers, etc.
    It's being sold by Network Resources Corp. as MacFTP;
    you can call (408) 263-8100 or send mail
    to NRC.MKTG@applelink.apple.com for more information.

    I sent an email to them, but yet to receive their response.

4)  Using 'proxy' feature in NCSA's Telnet to directly transfer files from
    anonymous_site to your Mac, so forget the midman Unix.

    I have tried this, but failed in the last step. ie. "proxy get <filename>"
    I have not found out the problem yet.  Has any people directly anonymous
    FTP files from remote site to Mac?

5)  If your mainframe is Unix, then write scripts.

6)  You can use macros companying with terminal emulator, like "Red Ryder"
    or "White Night" or third party macros like "QuicKeys"

For more details, read the following responses.

The following are responses, either through email or post to the newsgroup:

From: Matti Pellinen <k34340j@puukko.hut.fi>

If there is such a macro or program that does all you asked,
please let me know too. I wonder why all this have to be
so complicated so that only very skilled persons are capable
to do ftp:ing etc. with computers. In fact I made a script
that:
-opened microphone II when the mac was started
-opened a script that called my University
-logged to my account there
-transferred files that I put there earlier to my directory
-finished and logged out
-saved the session
-and shut down the machine

after all this a timer switched off the power automatically
within about 30 minutes or so what was left.
Anyway, this happened during the night and I was so
excited that I couldn't sleep, I had to wake up
and see is it working there or not...

                                Matti Pellinen

----------------------------
Date: Tue, 14 May 91 01:39:35 EST
From: r.addie@trl.oz.au (Ron Addie)
To: lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au
Subject: Re: Downloading files in one-go?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm

Something I have started doing recently to simplify the Unix->Mac
process is to tar the files on the Unix host and download the tar file
then untar the tar file on the Mac, using a tar program which I got from
the net. It is also possible to use shar, because shar is also available
on the Mac (you can find it on the ditmela info-mac shadow archive, or
presumable on the original). To improve efficiency, it would also seem
top be possible to compress the tar file or shar file on the Unix host
and then uncompress it on the Mac (uncompress is also available from
ditmela).

Another very handy facility is the Mac utility dehqx (I think thats the
name) which will de-hex a whole folder in one go. This is also available
on ditmela. This usually leaves the task of un-stuffit-ing the dehqx-ed
files -- I dont know of a utility to do this.

If you here about a way of doing all that you have suggested, let me know.

Ron Addie
r.addie@trl.oz.au
Telecom Australia Research Laboratories

----------------------
--------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 May 91 12:03:34 EDT
From: hoepfner@heawk1 (Patrick Hoepfner)
To: lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm

   You can record much (if not all) of the above in the form of a script
from you Terminal emulator (assuming your terminal emulator has scripting
ability) or you can use a 3rd party macro recorder like QuicKeys 2.

   NOTE:  Some of the macro recorders have the ability to have you enter
a string to be used by the recorder at a later date.  Also, Tempo II Plus
is a good macromaker but there are some deficiencies in that it may not
run with some macs (my IIsi has problems with it).  What I am saying is
that you can enter the name of the file to be FTPed with the full path
(e.g. 'info-mac/games/xxx.hqx') and have it wake up and FTP these files
after midnight while you are sleeping.

   One additional thing.  Since you can FTP from your Mac, why not directly
FTP from the source and leave out the unix middleman?  That is unless you
don't have the ability to FTP outside of your domain and that is where you
want to go.

   Another suggestion.  Check out LISTSERV.  This allows you to mail a
request to a machine and that machine will mail back the files (or a
directory listing of available file) to you.  This way you don't have to
waste your time sitting around while these files are being FTPed.

                          Hope this helps.

                             -- Pat --

      +--------------------------+---------------------------------------+
     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \
   +-----------------------------+------------------------------------------+

-----------------
Date: Mon, 13 May 91 09:34:40 +1200
To: lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm

What you want is a conmbination of two programs, you need XFerIt 1.3.1 which is
a ftp client that works directly from your mac (you need MacTCP drivers in your
system folder as well), and Downline which works in the background and unbinhexs
 and unstuffs files automatically.

>From memory both of these applications are available from sumex (36.44.0.6).

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, drop me a line and I'll see what I c
an do.

Cheers
Al

Allan Burton           Phone +64 63 69099 x8564, Fax +64 63 505607
Macintosh Consultant,  TimeZone GMT +12,  Internet A.K.Burton@massey.ac.nz
Computer Centre, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand

---------------------
Date: Mon, 13 May 91 08:07:27 -0400
From: Jim Matthews <Jim.Matthews@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>
To: lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Tony Lim)

> Is such a smart thing avaiable?  I am sure this is the way to go.

I thought so too, so I wrote an FTP program that basically does what you want
(i.e. it downloads, un-binhexes, and un-stuffs all at once).  It also handles
multiple files, folders, and has some other cute features.  It's being sold by
Network Resources Corp. as MacFTP; you can call (408) 263-8100 or send mail
to NRC.MKTG@applelink.apple.com for more information.

Jim Matthews
Dartmouth Software Development

---------------------
Date: Sun, 12 May 91 17:20:18 EDT
From: Fuat C. Baran <fuat@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
To: lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au
Cc: fuat@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm

In article <2281@diemen.utas.edu.au> you write:
>Hi, netters,
>
>Can anyone tell me if there are any communication application which allow me
>to download/upload files in one-go?  I am using a Mac+ connecting to the
>Unix system through Telnet.  To download files from an anonymous FTP site,
>I have to

You seem to be using ftp between your UNIX machine and your Mac.  Can
you ftp the file directly to your Mac from the archive site?  If so,
try that and also this new item I saw on info-mac (comm/downline.hqx):

----------

Date: Tue, 19 Mar 91 07:54:51 EST
From: saher@neptune.aoe.vt.edu (Saher Lahouar)

  Presenting Downline, a really useful Multifinder utility for those of you
who constantly download binhexed and stuffed files from SUMEX and similar
archive sites.
  It performs batch de-binhexing and unstuffing in the background using the
convenient DROP FOLDER concept.  To operate it, you designate an input and
an output folder (which could be the same) in which you drop various binhexed,
stuffed and packed files.  The application magically performs the necessary
operations.  One extremely handy benefit of the program is that it can run
at the same time as files are being downloaded (if you download them to the
right folder) so you end up with ready to use files.  It is very easy to use,
so enjoy...

(I'm posting this with permission of the author.  Please report bugs to the
addresses specified in the ABOUT box, or to SAHER@VTCC1.VT.CC.EDU)

Saher Lahouar
Virginia Tech
----------

--------------------

--------------------
Date: Sun, 12 May 91 15:09:39 -0400
From: Stuart M Castergine <scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
To: lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm

The answer to your question is: SCRIPTS! (plus maybe the unix programs
unsit and mcvert)

First, make a file in your hom edirectory called .netrc

It's contents should look something like this:

machine sumex-aim.stanford.edu login anonymous password scasterg@magnus.ircc.ohi
o-state.edu
machine titan.rice.edu login anonymous password scasterg@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.
edu
machine ftp.apple.com login anonymous password scasterg@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.e
du

------------------------

That will eliminate the need to type a password when you log on.

Next make a file called anything you find easy to remember, like "sumex.scr"

In that file write a script of the procedure you want to go through
once you long onto sumex:

cd info-mac/comm
get maclayers-10.hqx
cd ../util
get extractor.hqx

-------

then make an alias for the command you usually use in your .cshrc
file:

alias sumex     'ftp sumex-aim.stanford < sumex.scr'

from then on, all you have to do is edit the script file, type sumex,
and the transfers will be taken care of for you.

this can be further automated.

get the file mcvert.shar from sumex in info-mac/unix. It is a program
that unbinhexes files.

You can then write a script that will go something like this (I
haven't test it so there may be minor errors, but it will probably
work OK):

ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu < ~/sumex.scr
mcvert *.hqx
ftp yourmac < ~/send.scr

(before you can use this script, you will have to make sure it is
executeable by running the following command:
chmod u+x myscript

------

the file send.scr will look something like this

binary
mput *.bin

------

.bin is the extension mcvert gives to all the files it unbinhexes.

there is also a program called unsit.shar, but I don't use it and I
don't know if it creates the kind of files you need for ftp. I send
via modem, so I prefer to keep the file stuffed until I get it to my
mac, to cut down on transmission time.

If unsit works for you, you can work it into the script, so that files
arrive on your mac all unstuffed and ready to use.

-----

What will be really helpful to you is if you read up a little bit on
how shell scripts are written.

try 'man sh'
or 'man csh'
or 'man whatever-your-login-shell-is' (mine is tcsh)

You'll get some info on all the commands available in shell scripts.
the better shells have almost complete programming languages available
for writing scripts.

Good luck. Drop me a message if this was totally confusing ... or if
it wasn't!

--
scasterg@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu     Stuart M Castergine
        "Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."

-----------------
Date: Sun, 12 May 91 09:56:26 EDT
From: jorgej@cs.rpi.edu (Joaquim Jorge)
To: lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Tony Lim)
Subject: Downloading files in one-go?

Actually, there is something close to what you described, if your Mac is con-
nected to the ethernet network (it looks like it does by your posting): check
the stack hyperftp in sumex-aim.stanford.edu (should be in /info-mac/comm under
the name hyperftp-13.hqx). Here is an excerpt from the description:

"HyperFTP is a HyperCard stack that acts as an FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
client.  With it you can transfer files between your Macintosh and FTP host
computers over the TCP/IP internet.  You must have HyperCard version 1.2 or
later, and MacTCP (Apple Computer's TCP/IP drivers) installed.  MacTCP is
available for about $100 from APDA (800/282-2732)."

HyperFTP will de-binhex the files for you, but I don't think it will invoke
stuffit to de-compress them. You'll still have to do that manually :-)

If you don't have MacTCP, there are some tools to alleviate the pain of down-
used it personally, but it can be used to generate scripts for the unix ftp
program from the recent-files.txt and all-files.txt lists available in
sumex-aim. I use a small shell script to to this, in conjunction with my
.netrc file. Incidentally, you can save yourself the trouble of typing the
Username "anonymous" and Password "<anything>" when dowloading, if you create
a file called ".netrc" in your login directory (in the unix host), with a line
like this:
machine sumex-aim.stanford.edu login ftp password anything

You can have as many lines as the machines you want to download from. ftp will
look for the entry corresponding to the machine you are trying to connect to,
and send the username and passwd for you, if it finds one.

Also you might want to look into a couple of unix tools in sumex-aim.stanford.ed
u. They are in /info-mac/unix, and are very useful in their own right - I use
them all the time:

mcvert-16.hqx - de'binhexes files in the Unix host
macbin-??.hqx - convert macget/macput to macbinary format
unsit-16.hqx  - unstuffs Stuffit 1.5 archives on the unix host. You need macbin
                to convert the unstuffed files to download them, though.

Hope this helps

Joaquim Jorge
Rensselaer Design Research Center | E-mail: jaj@rdrc.rpi.edu
CII 7015                          |         jorgej@turing.cs.rpi.edu
RPI,Troy, NY 12180                | Phone:  (518) 276 5762

Date: Sun, 12 May 91 9:37:17 EDT
From: scharff@ucunix.san.uc.EDU (Guillermo Scharffenorth)
Subject: Smart Communication Software
To: lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.AU

Hi,

You can use "Red Ryder" or "White Night" macros to accomplish what you want.
If youuse binhex and stuffit on your mac you can write a macro to do
a1-6 and b1-4.  If you use mcvert and unstuff on your unix machine you
can do the whole thing with a macro.

If you want to try this you can download "Red Ryder9.4" from sumex.stanford.edu
which is shareware.  I am sure this will do the job find, but if you want
to create more sophisticated macros you should buy "White Night"

Hope this helps.

Guillermo Scharffenorth
scharff@ucunix.san.uc.edu

------------------

Date: Sat, 11 May 91 21:59 CDT
From: george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544)
To: lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm

If you are using MacTCP, there are a couple of options I know of.

1) HyperFTP-  A HyperCard stack that does FTP.  Should be on sumex.

2) XferIt (or something like that) - An application that does what you want.
                                     I'm not sure if it is on sumex or not.

Both can handle several formats (i.e. they go from an .hqx to a sit file
automatically)

--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

From: bskendig@dew.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig)

In article <2281@diemen.utas.edu.au> lin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Tony Lim) writes
:
>Can anyone tell me if there are any communication application which allow me
>to download/upload files in one-go?  I am using a Mac+ connecting to the
>Unix system through Telnet.

Yes, there is an easier way that what you describe.

>To download files from an anonymous FTP site, I have to

>A)  Transfer file from anonymous FTP site to our Unix system

A friend of mine told me (just last night, even!) about a command
named `proxy' in ftp, whereby you can open two connections at once in
one session, and files you `get' from one would be automatically `put'
to the other.  I haven't tried it yet, but I believe you just type
`proxy <command>' instead of just `command' for everything you want to
go to the second connection.  Therefore at this point you would:

- Hit Command-F to open an ftp session from NCSA Telnet to your Mac
- Go to the right directory
- Type `proxy open sumex-aim.stanford.edu' (or whatever other site name)
- Type `anonymous' as the user name, then anything at all for the password
- Type `proxy cd <path>', `proxy ls', or whatever else to navigate
- Type `proxy get <file>' or `proxy mget <regexp>' or whatever
- Quit from ftp by typing `bye'

If I'm right, the files should end up on your Mac without ever landing
on the Unix machine.  Am I correct?  (I haven't tried this yet.)

>C)  Decode binaries files
>    1) Decode the BinHexed file
>    2) Unstuffit file
>    3) Using other decompress application if the above procedure fails.

There's a Multifinder program named `Downline' (available from all the
normal places) that will watch a folder for files to appear in it.
When it finds a text file there it will un-binhex it, then it will
unstuff stuffed archives, and finally place the finished product into
another folder.

So it seems to me that the easiest way to cope with ftp is to set up
Downline on your Mac, then feed files to it through a proxy ftp
connection.

Piece of cake!  (Downline works like a charm.)

-