[comp.sys.mac.comm] QuickMail or Microsoft Mail

chen@sun4.AER.COM (Chin-tien Chen) (05/16/91)

I am in the process of selecting an E-Mail system for our Appletalk network.
Our Appletalk network will consists of about 30 Mac's( SE/30's and IIsi's ),
an SE/30 serving as Appleshare File server and router and A GatorBox
connecting the AppleTalk to the ethernet of our UNIX computers.

My predecesor purchased a 10-user license QuickMail and a 10-user GatorMail-Q
( for connecting Macintosh mail system to the UNIX users and outside world,
we are on the Internet ). Recently the company also purchased 11 copies of
Microsoft Office package. The Microsoft Office includes Microsoft Mail.

I got the impression for our dealer that QuickMail and Microsoft Mail can't
coexist on our network. Is it correct? If yes, then I have to select one of
something equivalent. Which one is better for our kind of environment?

If you have any experience is using either one of the mail system,
I like to know about it. Thank you in advance!

Todd Strauch (05/24/91)

In article <557@sun4.AER.COM> chen@sun4.AER.COM (Chin-tien Chen) writes:
>I am in the process of selecting an E-Mail system for our Appletalk network.
>Our Appletalk network will consists of about 30 Mac's( SE/30's and IIsi's ),
>an SE/30 serving as Appleshare File server and router and A GatorBox
>connecting the AppleTalk to the ethernet of our UNIX computers.
>
>My predecesor purchased a 10-user license QuickMail and a 10-user GatorMail-Q
>( for connecting Macintosh mail system to the UNIX users and outside world,
>we are on the Internet ). Recently the company also purchased 11 copies of
>Microsoft Office package. The Microsoft Office includes Microsoft Mail.
>
>I got the impression for our dealer that QuickMail and Microsoft Mail can't
>coexist on our network. Is it correct? If yes, then I have to select one of
>something equivalent. Which one is better for our kind of environment?
>
>If you have any experience is using either one of the mail system,
>I like to know about it. Thank you in advance!

Both packages can co-exist on the same network, but they do not exchange
directories.  Our network within the medical campus consists of numerous QM
servers and a few MSM servers.

With the current release of MSM 3.0, the packages are about equal.  QM has
more bells and whistles and slightly better mail handling options, but MSM is
alittle more intuitive for the novice user and alittle easier to administer.

As to which you should go with, that depends on a number of things.  The MSM
package will probably require that you also purchase GatorMail-M to provide you
with a gateway connection.  I say probably because I don't know which version
of MSM you are working with and because I am not sure if MSM 3.0 comes with
gateway software or not (I read somewhere that it did, but we are currently
using MSM 2.0 and have only worked with the demo version of MSM 3.0).  Another
consideration is how long your users have been using QM or what their level of
computer literacy is.  The longer anyone uses a particular product, the less
inclined they are to switch to another product.  On the other hand, the more
computer literate they are, the less they will care if you switch, just so long
as it does what they want.  Last, are their other mail servers on your network
that you would like to share directories with?  What are they using and which
package will integrate more easily?

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (05/29/91)

Todd Strauch writes:

>...................................................................  The MSM
>package will probably require that you also purchase GatorMail-M to provide you
>with a gateway connection.  I say probably because I don't know which version
>of MSM you are working with and because I am not sure if MSM 3.0 comes with
>gateway software or not (I read somewhere that it did, but we are currently
>using MSM 2.0 and have only worked with the demo version of MSM 3.0). ........

Gatormail-M is still required for Microsoft
Mail 3.0 (as it is for Quickmail).
The structure of the gateways remains the same as
in Microsoft Mail 3.0.  I have never used QuickMail
but I find MSM very good.  It can be configured with
gateways for Speach/Sounds, MCI, Faxes, etc.
--
= Enjoy!                                                                   =
=          John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group       =

jenner@post.ntu.edu.au (05/30/91)

In article <6482@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>Todd Strauch writes:
>
>>...................................................................  The MSM
>>package will probably require that you also purchase GatorMail-M to provide
you
>>with a gateway connection.  I say probably because I don't know which version
>>of MSM you are working with and because I am not sure if MSM 3.0 comes with
>>gateway software or not (I read somewhere that it did, but we are currently
>>using MSM 2.0 and have only worked with the demo version of MSM 3.0).
>
>Gatormail-M is still required for Microsoft
>Mail 3.0 (as it is for Quickmail).
>The structure of the gateways remains the same as
>in Microsoft Mail 3.0.  I have never used QuickMail
>but I find MSM very good.  It can be configured with
>gateways for Speach/Sounds, MCI, Faxes, etc.
>--
>= Enjoy!                                                                   =
>=          John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group       =
May be of interest. QuickMail can be bridged with gateway software "SMTP\QM"
which is relatively inexpensive. The same company (Information Electronics)
also privides QM concierge which offers mail lists, re-routing and several
other features. We are quite content with this arrangement.
Cheers Bob Jenner