[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacX cursor bug?

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/30/91)

If MacX is in the background, and the foreground program closes
a window, MacX changes the cursor if it happens to be over
a MacX window at the time. It took me a while to work this out,
because it only happens with applications that don't themselves
change the cursor when the window disappears, and when the cursor
is over the frontmost MacX window, which must also be an xterm
window.

To make it just that little bit more puzzling, I only seem to
get this behaviour with xterm windows.

Here's a repeateable way of getting this to happen:
o put an xterm window frontmost in MacX
o switch to the Finder and open a window
o position the cursor over the content region of the
  front xterm widow (without clicking), and type
  COMMAND-W to close the Finder window
The cursor changes to the cursor appropriate for the
xterm (text, or scroll bar double-arrow) for a few seconds.

All this is with System 7.0, and a IIcx. Can anyone else
reproduce this? I hope this is just a cosmetic bug, not a
symptom of deeper trouble.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.211302.13170@neon.Stanford.EDU>, philip@pescadero (Philip Machanick) writes:
>Here's a repeateable way of getting this to happen:
>o put an xterm window frontmost in MacX
>o switch to the Finder and open a window
>o position the cursor over the content region of the
>  front xterm widow (without clicking), and type
>  COMMAND-W to close the Finder window
>The cursor changes to the cursor appropriate for the
>xterm (text, or scroll bar double-arrow) for a few seconds.
>
>All this is with System 7.0, and a IIcx. Can anyone else
>reproduce this? I hope this is just a cosmetic bug, not a
>symptom of deeper trouble.

Couldn't reproduce this with 7.0 and MacX 1.0.1 on my fx.

anders

ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.211302.13170@neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>If MacX is in the background, and the foreground program closes
>a window, MacX changes the cursor if it happens to be over
>a MacX window at the time. It took me a while to work this out,
>because it only happens with applications that don't themselves
>change the cursor when the window disappears, and when the cursor
>is over the frontmost MacX window, which must also be an xterm
>window.

As long as we're reporting MacX bugs, here's another one. ResEdit
complains that settings files stored by MacX 1.1 are damaged. The
reason seems to be that MacX repeatedly adds STR -16396 ("MacX") to
the file. ResEdit, like the rest of the world, figures that duplicate
resource IDs are a sign of brain damage, so it complains.

--
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142