[comp.sys.mac.comm] Responder & System 7.0?

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (05/29/91)

A stupidly simply question, but I can't find the answer.

What happened to Responder in Sys 7.0.  Interpoll reports Responder INIT
version 2.00.  But I can't find it anywhere on my disk (nor can Finder Find).

A second and related question.  _Some_ of our SE/30s when upgraded did
not ask "What is the name of this Mac".  I think this is responder wanting
to know what name to register.  Interpoll reports these Macs as <unknown>,
<unknown>-1, <unknown>-2 etc.

So where is responder and how do I get it to ask for a name.

Thanks.

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (05/30/91)

<1991May29.122531.2894@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au> bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au:

>A stupidly simply question, but I can't find the answer.
>
>What happened to Responder in Sys 7.0.  Interpoll reports Responder INIT
>version 2.00.  But I can't find it anywhere on my disk (nor can Finder Find).
>
>A second and related question.  _Some_ of our SE/30s when upgraded did
>not ask "What is the name of this Mac".  I think this is responder wanting
>to know what name to register.  Interpoll reports these Macs as <unknown>,
><unknown>-1, <unknown>-2 etc.
>
>So where is responder and how do I get it to ask for a name.
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
>Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

Hmmmm.  I just encountered a similar issue the other night when I upgraded one
of my hard drives to System 7.0....  I just wiped my 80M internal drive with
the new Apple HD SC Setup program (I had had a screwed-up A/UX partition on it)
and started from a clean slate....  It took me a bunch of restarts to get all
of the various INITs and CDEVs and such stuff as I like in the right places....
As reported here previously, the trick with MacTCP 1.0.1 is to put _it_ in the
_System Folder_ and an _alias_ of it in the _Control Panels_ folder....

My problem was with Liaison (that's Farallon PhoneNET Liaison, in case anyone
was confused by a previous erroneous post attributing this software to Berkeley
Systems...).  I had just gotten the new 3.0.2 version from Farallon (it looks
to be identical to the previous "3.02b16" version) and was very hopeful.  But
when I booted up System 7.0 Liaison complained about not having a User Name
defined.  I was allowed to let it load, but when I tried to USE it I would get
the same complaint and the same advice to set a User Name in the Chooser dialog.

I was very puzzled by this, as I could find no such item in the new 7.0 Chooser
dialog!  I poked around several places, and even looked in the index to the
manual (horrors!), all to no avail.  I could neither find a User Name field to
fill in anywhere, nor could I find the new Responder (or a replacement).  I
assume the Responder code is integrated into something else now....

The solution I used was to put the Responder from System 6.0.7 in the System
Folder and Restart.  Note that this will not work if you let System 7.0 put the
Responder in the Extensions folder (or wherever it wants to put it...).  You
will then get the fool prompt to name your Macintosh computer....  After you
have done this, you can trash Responder, as the Mac will remember its name....
All my problems were solved....

I guess I still don't understand several things.  Is there a way to set the
User Name under System 7.0?  Where is the User Name stored?

So, in the meantime, the Responder from System 6.0.7 works when put in System
7.0's System Folder....

I am sure all of this has been discussed and answered in comp.sys.mac.system,
but I imagine it would be daunting to read that group these few weeks...!

Best of luck everyone....

+----   C   o   n   r   a   d       C   .       N   o   b   i   l   i     ----+
|         Harvard University          | Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu |
|       Office for Info. Tech.        |           conrad@popvax.harvard.edu   |
|        Information Services         | BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA          |
|     Technical & User Services       |           CONRAD AT HARVSPHB          |
|        1730 Cambridge Street        | voice:    (617) 495-8554              |
+----    Cambridge, MA  02138         | fax:      (617) 495-0715          ----+

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (05/31/91)

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au writes:

>What happened to Responder in Sys 7.0.  Interpoll reports Responder INIT
>version 2.00.  But I can't find it anywhere on my disk (nor can Finder Find).

>A second and related question.  _Some_ of our SE/30s when upgraded did
>not ask "What is the name of this Mac".  I think this is responder wanting
>to know what name to register.  Interpoll reports these Macs as <unknown>,
><unknown>-1, <unknown>-2 etc.

>So where is responder and how do I get it to ask for a name.

>Thanks.

>--
>David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
>Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

In System 7, responder is built into the system file and is loaded at boot
time.  Do not put in the Responder INIT (That's why some of the SE/30's
ask for a name)  Two Responders is not good. The Human Interface folks
decided that having Responder ask for a user/machine name was a bad idea
so it no longer does this.  (There was also a major problem in the factory,
since there is nobody present to press "OK" when the machine boots
for the first time!)

Responder uses the 'Machine Name' from the sharing setup control panel
as the name it registers on the network.

Ignore the message from Inter*Poll that says you are not running Responder.
It was not upgraded (Resources, timing, testing, etc) when System 7 was
released.

Mike Shoemaker

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/31/91)

In article <6902@husc6.harvard.edu>
           conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) writes:
> bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au writes:
> >
> >A stupidly simply question, but I can't find the answer.
> >
> >What happened to Responder in Sys 7.0.  Interpoll reports Responder INIT
> >version 2.00.  But I can't find it anywhere on my disk (nor can Finder
> >Find).
> >
> >A second and related question.  _Some_ of our SE/30s when upgraded did
> >not ask "What is the name of this Mac".  I think this is responder wanting
> >to know what name to register.  Interpoll reports these Macs as <unknown>,
> ><unknown>-1, <unknown>-2 etc.
> >
> >So where is responder and how do I get it to ask for a name?

 ...[skipping most of long detailed reply written by Conrad - gad]...

> I guess I still don't understand several things.  Is there a way to set the
> User Name under System 7.0?  Where is the User Name stored?
>
> So, in the meantime, the Responder from System 6.0.7 works when put in System
> 7.0's System Folder....

  that's the wrong solution though...

> I am sure all of this has been discussed and answered in comp.sys.mac.system,
> but I imagine it would be daunting to read that group these few weeks...!

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, I think all you want to do is bring
up the control device called "Sharing Setup".  It lets you set the name for
your machine, and the name for the person using that machine.  There's two
separate names now.

A suggestion iff Apple-type people are seeing this:  Have the things that
complain about no-username-set to tell the person what they have to bring up to
set that name.
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

russell@acf3.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell) (05/31/91)

Use the Sharing Setup control panel - you get to set your name, password
and the name of the machine.

--
--------
Bill, the Network Curmudgeon, Russell                   +1 212 998-3054

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (05/31/91)

<gpnhftf@rpi.edu> gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:

>A suggestion iff Apple-type people are seeing this:  Have the things that
>complain about no-username-set to tell the person what they have to bring up to
>set that name.

Actually, I think that Apple software probably _does_ point people in the right
direction....  I was using Liaison, which was still telling me to remedy the
situation with the Chooser.  (Liaison is from Farallon.)  I found the _real_
answer _after_ posting my message last night.  I hadn't thought that it might
be in the Networking manual and _not_ in the Reference manual....  Oh, well....

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (05/31/91)

In article <12720002@acf3.NYU.EDU>, russell@acf3.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell) writes:
> Use the Sharing Setup control panel - you get to set your name, password
> and the name of the machine.

That of course is the answer.  I was just confused/ distracted by interpoll
referring to Responder INIT 200 as part of Sys 7.0

The problem was that with upgrading going on all over the place, the poor
old net admin really wants to know who is not running the (in)correct s/ware;
and <unknown> as a username is not very helpful :-)

Cheers.