[comp.sys.mac.comm] ftp.apple.com & system 7.0

cmp9133@sys.uea.ac.uk (A.C. Lock) (05/31/91)

I have been trying to download system 7.0 from ftp.apple.com but I am
having a bit of trouble.

My problem is that there are no installation dox on what files you need & what
files you don't.
Because of this I downloaded the files image1.hqx & image2.hqx from
dts/mac/system7/hdfd.images and unstuffed them. Now I have two .image files
and I don't know what to do with them.

Could some kind soul explain what an image file is, and what to do with them
so that I can use system 7.0 on my Mac.

Thanx in advance

Adam Lock

rpike@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (06/01/91)

I'm no expert in the area but if you have a .image file I believe you can just use Diskcopy 4.1 to retrieve the data and then throw the .image files away.

Ron Pike
rpike@oavax.csuchico.edu

jah@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Jonathan Helton) (06/01/91)

In article <1241@sys.uea.ac.uk> cmp9133@sys.uea.ac.uk (A.C. Lock) writes:
>I have been trying to download system 7.0 from ftp.apple.com but I am
>having a bit of trouble.
>
>My problem is that there are no installation dox on what files you need & what
>files you don't.
>Because of this I downloaded the files image1.hqx & image2.hqx from
>dts/mac/system7/hdfd.images and unstuffed them. Now I have two .image files
>and I don't know what to do with them.
>
>Could some kind soul explain what an image file is, and what to do with them
>so that I can use system 7.0 on my Mac.
>
>Thanx in advance
>
>Adam Lock

You'll need to get ALL the image files from ftp.apple.com before you can
install System 7.0.

They are:

in the dts/mac/system7 directory:

	7-compat-checker.hqx
	7-readme.support.txt

in the dts/mac/system7/7.0.software/fdhd.images directory:

	install-1-image..
	install-2
	printing-
	tidbits-...

This assumes you've got a FDHD.  If you've only got 800k drives you'll need
to get all the images in the dts/mac/system7/7.0.software/800k.images
directory (there are 3 install disks and two tidbits disks).

You should run the compatibility checker and read the docs that come with
it before attempting to install anything.  Also, you need ALL of the
software discs before you begin to install.

These image files are meant to be used with the DiskCopy program (version
4.2 if you want to make HD floppy copies).  This is available at
ftp.apple.com in the dts/utils directory.  (docs too!)

Get a pile of floppy disks, run the DiskCopy program and make your
installation discs!

Have fun!

(BTW, file locations at ftp.apple.com have been changing a bit recently.  I
just checked the location of all these files, they're all in very locgical
locations, so I don't imagine they'll change any more.)
--
Jonathan Helton
jah@casbah.acns.nwu.edu