[comp.sys.mac.comm] Help: Problem with Zterm and System 7.0

smisra@eos.ncsu.edu (SAURABH MISRA) (06/02/91)

I am using a Mac Plus running System 7.0  Ever since
I installed 7.0 I have been unable to give any control
commands (Under system 6.x, when i wanted to enter control-c
I would hit Option-C)  But now when I hit option-Z for example
I just get an omega sign. Does anyone know a way to fix this
so I can get my control characters back..  And yes, escape
doesn't work either.  Ever tried using vi in unix without
escape and control keys??  :-))

Saurabh

kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (06/02/91)

> I am using a Mac Plus running System 7.0  Ever since
> I installed 7.0 I have been unable to give any control
> commands (Under system 6.x, when i wanted to enter control-c
> I would hit Option-C)  But now when I hit option-Z for example
> I just get an omega sign. Does anyone know a way to fix this
> so I can get my control characters back..  And yes, escape
> doesn't work either.  Ever tried using vi in unix without
> escape and control keys??  :-))

Zterm uses a special resource called a kCHR resource.  It's in the Zterm
application.  For system 7, You've got to use resedit, copy that resource from
Zterm, and paste it into the system.  Then, choose the zCHR name in the
keyboard control panel device, and boom! Zterm runs just like it always did
before.

\  Ken Corey, VAX/Unix Programmer/Operator  (And GOD am I confused...;)  /
 \          kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu  ken@isect.lonestar.org               /

juh@cs.hut.fi (Juha Hyv|nen) (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun1.204804.47213@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>
kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
+------------------------
! Zterm uses a special resource called a kCHR resource.  It's in the Zterm
! application. For system 7, You've got to use resedit, copy that resource from
! Zterm, and paste it into the system.  Then, choose the zCHR name in the
! keyboard control panel device, and boom! Zterm runs just like it always did
! before.
!........................

A better way:

	1. Copy the "zKCHR" resource into a (new) file
	   (e.g. "ZTerm Keyboard").
	2. Change the file type    to 'kfil'.
	3. Change the file creator to 'movr'.
	4. Save the changes.
	5. Quit all applications (except the Finder).
	6. Drag the "ZTerm Keyboard" file into the System file
	   (not folder).

ZTerm will automatically use the new keyboard layout (if you use
ZTerm key re-mapping); no need to select it with the keyboard control
panel device.

The same method should work with all applications that define a new
keyboard layout using a KCHR resource (in the application).

	   / (.__o
	  /_/ __/
	! /  !		Juha.Hyvonen@hut.fi
	!/ ) !