[comp.sys.mac.comm] System 7 and Zterm 0.85

chines@xcluud.sccsi.com (Clifford Hines) (05/24/91)

Have there been any reports of any troubles with Zterm 0.85 running under
System 7.0? I am new to the nets so, bare with me if I make any dumb
mistakes...:)
Thanks
Cliff

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (05/26/91)

"Have there been any reports of any troubles with Zterm 0.85 running under
"System 7.0? I am new to the nets so, bare with me if I make any dumb
                                      ^^^^
"mistakes...:)

No matter how many mistakes you make, no matter how dumb they are,
I refuse to disrobe, alone or along with you!

(I could not resist this wonderful (Freudian?) typo! :-))
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

jsnell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Jason Snell) (05/26/91)

I've actually had problems with Zterm.. when doing a transfer of a
binhex file from the unix system with sz (sz -e -w 512 filename)... after
a while, my screen suddenly when mostly white with little dots of black here
and there. it beeped repeatedly, with the plain simple beep. (beep.. beep..
beep..) hitting command-option-esc didn't do anything. hitting the
programmer's button for breaking did nothing.. hitting the restart button
restarted, and for an instant before the restart, i could see things
"normally" on the screen.

it's happened to me twice. weird.

system: 7.0, mac se, 4 megs memory, zterm 0.85, 2400 modem.

I hope there's a new ZTerm soon.. it's a nice program. But maybe it's
time to invest in a 7.0 compatible term program, like the new Microphone II
that's coming out soon (or so I've heard)...

-jason

--
    Jason Snell / jsnell@ucsd.edu / University of California, San Diego
       "Of course, Shakespeare would have loved your ratings system--

evensen@husc9.harvard.edu (Erik Evensen) (05/26/91)

I, on the other hand, have not had any problems downloading with
ZTerm.  I just use sz and it works like a charm.  My setup: se/30,
2400 bps, 5 meg silicon with virtual memory on, Sys 7 (of course),
Eyeballs, gatekeeper, moire, and more...

--Erik (evensen@husc9.harvard.edu)

Dave.Alverson@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Dave Alverson) (05/27/91)

I have no idea what might be causing the screen to go white with black
dots during a transfer.  I do know of two possible problems.  Someone said
the key remapping for older machines (option for control) was not working.
Also, if you run ZTerm off a floppy or nearly full disk, you might get
8 beeps at startup.  Theres some stuff in there thats not really necessary.

(I really am working on a new version of ZTerm.  It is going  slowly.  I
must be spending too much time on things like usenet.)

Z   Dave Alverson, Mason, OH
Z   davea@kgw2.xetron.com   -or-  Dave.Alverson@bbs.oit.unc.edu

--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information

kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/27/91)

In article <3930@beguine.UUCP>, Dave.Alverson@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Dave Alverson) writes:
> I have no idea what might be causing the screen to go white with black
> dots during a transfer.  I do know of two possible problems.  Someone said
> the key remapping for older machines (option for control) was not working.
> Also, if you run ZTerm off a floppy or nearly full disk, you might get
> 8 beeps at startup.  Theres some stuff in there thats not really necessary.
>
> (I really am working on a new version of ZTerm.  It is going  slowly.  I
> must be spending too much time on things like usenet.)
>
> Z   Dave Alverson, Mason, OH
> Z   davea@kgw2.xetron.com   -or-  Dave.Alverson@bbs.oit.unc.edu

One thing that I did notice in Zterm, the first time I ran it under system 7
was that it was not a happy creature, and the keyboard didn't work properly,
and the Directory menu wouldn't choose.

I had remembered reading about someone talking about the keyboard remapping, so
this meant that there was a KCHR resource.

I used Resedit 2.1 to copy it into system 7, (You could get it out just by
double clicking system 7, and draggin it out...;), and now zterm works fine.  I
selected the ZCHR (I think) resource, using the keyboard control panel program,
and everthing is back to normal.

I don't have the slightest idea why this helped, and it may be entirely a
voodoo kind of approach that's not necessary...but it worked!...;)

I'm running a 4MB Mac Plus, gemini 25Mhz 68030accelerator, tons of inits, and
system 7 Golden.

(You figure it out...;)

\  Ken Corey, VAX/Unix Programmer/Operator  (And GOD am I confused...;)  /
 \          kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu  ken@isect.lonestar.org               /

dickie@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Garth Dickie) (06/03/91)

In article <1991May27.140234.47095@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>I had remembered reading about someone talking about the keyboard remapping, so
>this meant that there was a KCHR resource.
>
>I used Resedit 2.1 to copy it into system 7, (You could get it out just by
>double clicking system 7, and draggin it out...;), and now zterm works fine.  I
>selected the ZCHR (I think) resource, using the keyboard control panel program,
>and everthing is back to normal.

For some reason, it works to copy the KCHR into the system file, *even without
selecting it in the control panel*.  Having done this, ZTerm keyboard mapping
works better than it ever did under 6.0.x, in that it only applies to ZTerm.
So, I can still type, for example 'pi' or 'curly-f' in the finder while
ZTerm is running.  Definitely voodoo :-).
--

Garth Dickie -- Math Graduate Student? -- dickie@math.wisc.edu