[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacTCP applications: What's good, what's bad, what's where?

ckd@eff.org (Christopher Davis) (05/24/91)

I used to sit and read comp.sys.mac.comm and say "Hey, that program
there sounds really cool, but it requires MacTCP, and all I have is a
weenie little 2400 non-MNP modem.  Oh well."

Well, now I have a job, and the job has Macs, and the Macs have Ethernet
and Fastpaths and all sorts of spiffy networking stuff.  And MacTCP.

(Oh, and System 7.0, too. ;-)

So what's out there to do what?  What's good?  What's not so good?  I'm
looking for ANYTHING that uses MacTCP; commercial stuff is not excepted
(though it may lose out to freeware sometimes).

And, just as importantly, where do I get it?  Quite a bit of this stuff
is ftpable (after all, they *ARE* TCP/IP programs), but where?

I'd say "mail me and I'll summarize," but this is the kind of thing that
benefits from a vigorous discussion.  Besides, it'll give everyone a
chance to say "but it doesn't work with System 7". ;-)

--Chris
--
Christopher Davis, System Manager & Postmaster, Electronic Frontier Foundation
 Email -- Domain: <ckd@eff.org>,  Bangist: <{uunet,bu.edu,...}!world!eff!ckd>

ukt101@ukcc.uky.edu (Charles Bynaker) (05/28/91)

In article <CKD.91May24112306@eff.org> ckd@eff.org (Christopher Davis) writes:
>I used to sit and read comp.sys.mac.comm and say "Hey, that program
>there sounds really cool, but it requires MacTCP, and all I have is a
>weenie little 2400 non-MNP modem.  Oh well."
>
>Well, now I have a job, and the job has Macs, and the Macs have Ethernet
>and Fastpaths and all sorts of spiffy networking stuff.  And MacTCP.
>
>(Oh, and System 7.0, too. ;-)
>
>So what's out there to do what?  What's good?  What's not so good?  I'm
>looking for ANYTHING that uses MacTCP; commercial stuff is not excepted
>(though it may lose out to freeware sometimes).
>
>And, just as importantly, where do I get it?  Quite a bit of this stuff
>is ftpable (after all, they *ARE* TCP/IP programs), but where?
>
>I'd say "mail me and I'll summarize," but this is the kind of thing that
>benefits from a vigorous discussion.  Besides, it'll give everyone a
>chance to say "but it doesn't work with System 7". ;-)
>
>--Chris
>--
>Christopher Davis, System Manager & Postmaster, Electronic Frontier Foundation
> Email -- Domain: <ckd@eff.org>,  Bangist: <{uunet,bu.edu,...}!world!eff!ckd>
>  Snail Mail: 155 Second Street, Cambridge, MA 02141 - PSTN: +1 617 864 1550
>   [ For information on the EFF, mail me or ftp to eff.org (192.88.144.3) ]

Xferit from sumex-aim is excellent for transfer and viewing text files online.
TheNews an NNTP reader, the one used to post this followup.
Brown's tn3270
NCSA telnet
MacUWS from Ungermann - Bass a lot like Xferit but with terminal emulators.

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (05/29/91)

ukt101@ukcc.uky.edu (Charles Bynaker) writes:
>In article <CKD.91May24112306@eff.org> ckd@eff.org (Christopher Davis) writes:
>>
>>So what's out there to do what?  What's good?  What's not so good?  I'm
>>looking for ANYTHING that uses MacTCP; commercial stuff is not excepted
>>(though it may lose out to freeware sometimes).

>Xferit from sumex-aim is excellent for transfer and viewing text files online.

In case you missed the announcements: get XferIt 1.4 from
mondo.engin.umich.edu; Sumex has a rather old version.

BTW, 1.4 no longer crashes small Macs, and is generally usable - thanks
Steve! The check is somewhere in the bowels of State Bureaucracy...   E.

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.234934.5447@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:
> >>So what's out there to do what?  What's good?  What's not so good?  I'm
> >>looking for ANYTHING that uses MacTCP; commercial stuff is not excepted
> >>(though it may lose out to freeware sometimes).

I cannot live without :

NCSA Telnet - Terminal Emulator
Eudora - Pop / SMTP mail
Net News Reader HyperCard Stack - NNTP News reader
NetWork Time - Gets the unix time from your local TimeServer and sets the
Mac clock.

Is it time for a list of MacTCP based software.....

I volunteer to be the curator. Mail the name, description and contact
comapny / ftp info to me and I'll post a summary.

Angus Fox
Sun Microsystems Europe Inc - Sitka
Internet:Angus.Fox@uk.Sun.com
Janet:Angus.Fox@sun.co.uk
AppleLink:SITKAEUROPE
Phone: +44 276 51440

chooper@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper) (05/30/91)

In article <CKD.91May24112306@eff.org>, ckd@eff.org (Christopher Davis) writes:

> So what's out there to do what?  What's good?  What's not so good?  I'm
> looking for ANYTHING that uses MacTCP; commercial stuff is not excepted
> (though it may lose out to freeware sometimes).

Well, I've got a couple. Most are pretty standard but here goes anyway -

BYU Telnet - this has some probs with Sys7 - you can't access the Apple menu
             whilst BYU is in the foreground. Otherwise it is great. The ftp
             server mode is neat but could do with some more security options.

XferIt 1.4 - this is probably the best FTP client I've seen, although it
         still needs a tiny bit of work. Works fine with Sys 7.

HyperFTP 1.4b3 - before Xferit, this was the best FTP client. Works ok
                 with HC 2.0.

Eudora - a great POP client from Steve Dorner at U of Illinois. Some slight
         quirks with Sys 7 but nothing major.

LeeMail - an SMTP mailer - very simple and it crashes SE's. Great for testing
          mailers if nothing else.

Mews - a Hypercard based POP/News client - it seemed to crash lots under Sys 6
       and I guess it would be similar under Sys 7!

The News 1.4 - an NNTP client. Almost good enough to convince me to give up
               reading News on the mainframe here. Has mail support as well.

PSIWP - X.500 White Pages client - very interesting. FTP from uu.psi.com under
        the directory wp.

TCP Play - an Apple product which lets you play sounds over the network from
           a Unix host to a Mac. FTP'able from apple.com last time I checked.

Most of these are available via ftp from info-mac.

I've yet to see -

 - a finger client
 - a talk client/server

--
Todd Hooper (Postmaster)                                   Computing Centre
                                            Curtin University of Technology

laf@mitre.org (Lee Fyock) (05/30/91)

writes:

>> So what's out there to do what?  What's good?  What's not so good?  I'm
>> looking for ANYTHING that uses MacTCP; commercial stuff is not excepted
>> (though it may lose out to freeware sometimes).
>
>Well, I've got a couple. Most are pretty standard but here goes anyway -
>
>LeeMail - an SMTP mailer - very simple and it crashes SE's. Great for testing
>          mailers if nothing else.

LeeMail 1.1 should be out within a week.  A few of the changes between 1.0 and
1.1 are

Doesn't crash 68000 machines (sorry!)
Multiple incoming/outgoing mail windows
All windows are resizeable/zoomable/movable
Aliases for long email addresses
Better error checking
Closer adherance to the RFC
Use of the notification manager
Saving of mail messages
Reply with autoquote
Read/Delete/Save multiple messages

and many many more!  All told, it's a much easier program to use.

>Most of these are available via ftp from info-mac.
>
>I've yet to see -
>
> - a finger client
> - a talk client/server

There is supposedly a finger client MPW tool on the latest develop CD, but I
haven't
had time to take a look at it.

I also started a talk client/server but ran into some problems...  There's a
System 7
IAC version (instead of MacTCP) on the System 7.0b4 CD.

Lee Fyock
laf@mitre.org

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.123805.8504@cc.curtin.edu.au>
           chooper@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper) writes:
> In article <CKD.91May24112306@eff.org>,
             ckd@eff.org (Christopher Davis) writes:

> > So what's out there to do what?  What's good?  What's not so good?  I'm
> > looking for ANYTHING that uses MacTCP; commercial stuff is not excepted
> > (though it may lose out to freeware sometimes).
>
> Well, I've got a couple. Most are pretty standard but here goes anyway -
      [skipping along - gad]
> The News 1.4 - an NNTP client. Almost good enough to convince me to give up
>                reading News on the mainframe here. Has mail support as well.

Note that the current version of TheNews is 2.02.  It has improved quite a bit
over version 1.4, and runs fine on system 7 (well, version 1.4 did too, if I
remember right).  Bill Cramer sent this off to sumex a few weeks ago, but I'm
not sure if it has showed up there yet.  He sent it out to anyone who
registered for version 1.4 (or at least he sent it to me because I was
registered, when it didn't seem to be appearing on sumex).

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (05/31/91)

<1991May30.123805.8504@cc.curtin.edu.au> chooper@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper):

>I've yet to see -
>
> - a finger client
> - a talk client/server

I have mentioned the SuperServer/Client DA combination here previously....  It
provides _general_ access to various Internet services.  I.e., it is not a fin-
ger client per se, but rather a client of any of a rather broad class of ser-
vices that can be "published" by _any_ user of a SuperServer-equipped UNIX box.
So, you can use a DA as a whois, finger, who, nslookup, etc. client....

You can get the SuperServer/Client pair from ssyx.ucsc.edu.  I just checked to
be sure and noticed that there is also a directory called "hyperunix".  I can
only guess at what this is.  I did notice something in that directory called
"finger.sit.hqx".  Perhaps this is another answer to one of the questions above?

Check 'em out....

>--
>Todd Hooper (Postmaster)                                   Computing Centre
>                                            Curtin University of Technology
>                                                          Western Australia
>Internet : hooper_ta@cc.curtin.edu.au
>Phone    : +61 9 351 7467 (24 hour messaging system) Fax +61 9 351 2673

+----   C   o   n   r   a   d       C   .       N   o   b   i   l   i     ----+
|         Harvard University          | Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu |
|       Office for Info. Tech.        |           conrad@popvax.harvard.edu   |
|        Information Services         | BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA          |
|     Technical & User Services       |           CONRAD AT HARVSPHB          |
|        1730 Cambridge Street        | voice:    (617) 495-8554              |
+----    Cambridge, MA  02138         | fax:      (617) 495-0715          ----+

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.123805.8504@cc.curtin.edu.au> chooper@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper) writes:
>Eudora - a great POP client from Steve Dorner at U of Illinois. Some slight
>         quirks with Sys 7 but nothing major.
>I've yet to see -
> - a finger client

This script will turn Eudora's ph window into a finger window.  Finger formats
vary a bit; this script is looking for a standard bsd finger.  Making it
more general would be simple; just delete the line with "/^Login"
in it.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
#
# Written by Steve Dorner, UIUC, 1991.
#
# This program looks like qi to Eudora's ph window, but really just does
# finger.  If you don't want to install qi, this will get you at least
# a little functionality out of the ph window.
#
# You'll need this in /etc/services:
#	ns	105/tcp
# And this in /etc/inetd.conf:
#	ns	stream	tcp	nowait	nobody	/<path>/fingerqi fingerqi
# (you must of course make <path> be the path to this script.

#
# no buffering, please
$| = 1;

#
# grab name, strip lf, sanitize
$_ = <>;
chop;
tr/|;<>//;

#
# execute finger
if (!open(FINGER,"/usr/ucb/finger " . $_ . "|"))
{
  print "500:Botched!\n";
  die;
}

#
# pass the response
$curNum = 0;
while (<FINGER>)
{
  chop;
  if (/^Login name:/) {$curNum++;}
  printf "-200:" . $curNum . ": ". $_ . "\n";
}
print "200:Ok.\n";

#
# read and respond to Eudora's quit
<>;
print "200:Bye.\n";
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu (Tom McDougal) (06/02/91)

In article <6911@husc6.harvard.edu> conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili)
writes:
><1991May30.123805.8504@cc.curtin.edu.au> chooper@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd
Hooper):

>>I've yet to see -
>>
>> - a finger client
>> - a talk client/server
>
>I have mentioned the SuperServer/Client DA combination here previously....  It
>provides _general_ access to various Internet services.  I.e., it is not a
fin-
>ger client per se, but rather a client of any of a rather broad class of ser-
>vices that can be "published" by _any_ user of a SuperServer-equipped UNIX
box.
>So, you can use a DA as a whois, finger, who, nslookup, etc. client....
>
>You can get the SuperServer/Client pair from ssyx.ucsc.edu.

I just fetched this stuff by FTP and w/in an astoundingly short time got
it up and running, and this is cool.  Even before I got the server running
on a local machine, I was able to use the Client DA on my Mac to finger
someone here using the server on ssyx.ucsc.edu.  The response was pretty fast.
Once I started a local server (& I'm no superuser), finger, who, etc.
was really fast.

The only drawbacks I have noticed so far are 1) I can't seem to compile it on
our Sun 3 (but I haven't tried very hard); 2) It is restricted to programs
that can work through a pipe, hence programs like talk that require a tty don't

work.

-Tom (mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu)

johnroc@cats.ucsc.edu (John Rocchio, (x3511)) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.012934.7825@midway.uchicago.edu> mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu (Tom McDougal) writes:

....stuff deleted....

>>So, you can use a DA as a whois, finger, who, nslookup, etc. client....
>>
>>You can get the SuperServer/Client pair from ssyx.ucsc.edu.
>
>I just fetched this stuff by FTP and w/in an astoundingly short time got
>it up and running, and this is cool.  Even before I got the server running
>on a local machine, I was able to use the Client DA on my Mac to finger
>someone here using the server on ssyx.ucsc.edu.  The response was pretty fast.
>Once I started a local server (& I'm no superuser), finger, who, etc.
>was really fast.
>
>The only drawbacks I have noticed so far are 1) I can't seem to compile it on
>our Sun 3 (but I haven't tried very hard); 2) It is restricted to programs
>that can work through a pipe, hence programs like talk that require a tty don't
>
>work.
>
>-Tom (mcdougal@cs.uchicago.edu)

The newest version (1.4) of the wonderful server software has just
recently been posted to comp.sources.reviewed.  I will hopefully get it
on the ssyx machine very soon.  The Mac client is on ssyx, but I have
had trouble getting it to work under System 7.0 :-(  I mailed the
author and hopefully a fix is on the way.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
John Rocchio
Workstation Consultant
Univ. of California, Santa Cruz

daveg@Apple.com (Dave Green) (06/04/91)

In the latest issue of develop Magazine, they cover MacTCP development.

one of the examples is an MPW tool which implements the FINGER command.

The same article has source for NNTP and FTP capabilities which are worked
into an application called NewsWatcher.  It is a very nice application
for reading news.  I'm using it right now.

Dave
d, can I
>contribute to this discussion :)
>
>I'm surprised that amongst all the discussion of Pipkins, Pogle's Wood,
>The Herbs, Hector's House and so on that nobody has seen fit to discuss
>something of even greater vintage - Larry The Lamb. Any comments? I can only
>vaguely remember seeing it on a few occasions when I was very young. What
>was his pal the dog called?

Er - isn't that Larry the Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamb?
His chum vas Dennis the Dachshund, nein?

I remember these from radio (we didn't have television). I think the narrator
was David Davies - the series was called "Tales from Toytown" or somesuch.

wlarkin@hounix.uucp (Ward Larkin) (06/05/91)

In article <1737@west.West.Sun.COM> Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) writes:

>I cannot live without :
>
>NCSA Telnet - Terminal Emulator
>Eudora - Pop / SMTP mail
>Net News Reader HyperCard Stack - NNTP News reader
>NetWork Time - Gets the unix time from your local TimeServer and sets the
>Mac clock.
>
>Is it time for a list of MacTCP based software.....
>
>I volunteer to be the curator. Mail the name, description and contact
>comapny / ftp info to me and I'll post a summary.

Great idea, and thanks for volunteering to be curator.

For the moment I'm looking for Apple Macintosh application software that
will simulate UNIX's uucp.  I'd like to get my system on the net without
having to install A/UX.

I'd want to have the application software be able to call up a couple
of hosts -- with their prior permision, of course -- and transfer email,
news groups message and any other file transfers just like UNIX uucp
does.

Does anyone know of any software that will do this?  Please address
all responses directly to me.  I'll sumarize.

-- Ward Larkin
   wlarkin@hounix.uucp
   ...!uunet!shell!lobster!hounix!wlarkin