[comp.sys.mac.comm] More about Mac ARP and Telnet

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (06/02/91)

A while ago I posted a desperate question on the format of Hosts file for
MacTCP. I got a few helpful replies - thanks a lot!

Here's what I've found: the problem was not really the Hosts file, but
rather the fact that I was using the BYU modification of NCSA Telnet. BYU
Telnet, as far as I could determine, doesn't use the MacTCP resolver!

I massaged my Hosts file a bit following the hints I received, and it
didn't help. First I suspected our network which is still a bit screwy, so
it took me a while to try changing Telnets - NCSA version worked like a
charm! Trouble is that *if* there is a network problem (can't connect, or
some such), then NCSA variant is much more likely to crash on a small Mac
than the BYU mod (has anyone else experienced this? I don't want to bother
the NCSA developers with unconfirmed bugs).

I remember that there were others who had Hosts file problems. Here's what
works for me (in the meantime, I've read the DNS RFC 1034...)

; I'm on a Mac on an acs network, the main Internet machine is
; rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu = 138.87.1.2

rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu.      A    138.87.1.2
risc.                    CNAME  rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu.
rs6000.                  CNAME  rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu.

; contrary to some advice I got, this seems to work fine, only remember
; the trailing period! it's not shown in the MacTCP manual we have...

; the risc is a root and local nameserver (when it works...)

.                        NS     rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu.
.ilstu.edu.              NS     rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu.

; but since it goes down quite often, let's use a friendly well-connected
; machine nearby for backup - hope they don't mind...

ux1.cso.uiuc.edu         A      128.174.5.50
.                        NS     ux1.cso.uiuc.edu.

; that's it folks. Comments and corrections very welcome.    E.

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun02.033105.7873@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:

> ... rather the fact that I was using the BYU modification of NCSA Telnet.
> BYU Telnet, as far as I could determine, doesn't use the MacTCP resolver!

I'm running NCSA Telnet version 2.4 (MacTCP) 3/14/91 which I believe is the
latest available, and when I comment out the "nameserver" entries in the
config.tel file it no longer is able to convert names to numbers, even though
programs *I* wrote that *do* use the MacTCP dns stuff are quite able to lookup
host names at the same time.  Thus I claim that *no* NCSA telnet makes use
of the MacTCP lookup stuff, they ALL do it themselves...

Here is the config.tel in question, my claim is that by removing the last
four lines I can make NCSA telnet not be able to lookup names.

hardware=Ether		# Network connection type:
domain="umd.edu"		# default domain for name lookups
#passfile="HD20:Telnet:ftppass"	# name of file to find FTP passwords in
#
ftp=yes			# do you want ftp enabled?
arptime=5		# arp timeout in seconds
domaintime=2		# seconds to wait before trying second nameserver
domainretry=4		# how many times to query domain nameservers
commandkeys=yes		# do you want Command Keys as the default
#
name=default
scrollback=800			# number of lines of scrollback per session
vtwrap=no			# default mode is no wrap....
erase=delete                    # use delete or backspace?
contime=10                      # timeout in seconds to try connection
retrans=20                      # starting retransmit time out in ticks
mtu=1024                        # maximum transmit unit in bytes
maxseg=1536			# largest segment we can receive
rwin=512                        # most bytes we can receive without ACK
#
nfcolor="{0,0,0}"		# normal, foreground (Mac II)
nbcolor="{65535,65535,65535}"	# normal, background (Mac II)
bfcolor="{0,0,0}"		# blink, foreground (Mac II)
bbcolor="{65535,65535,65535}"	# blink, background (Mac II)
#crmap=4.3BSDCRNUL		# map of the CR key for compatibility
#duplex=half			# modifier for non-echo mode, forces send
clearsave=yes			# save lines on clear screen yes/no
#
name=terp host=terp.umd.edu hostip=10.1.0.17 nameserver=1
name=snoopy host=snoopy.umd.edu hostip=128.8.10.18 nameserver=2
name=umd5 host=umd5.umd.edu hostip=128.8.10.5 nameserver=3
name=trantor host=trantor.umd.edu hostip=128.8.10.14 nameserver=4

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (06/05/91)

zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) writes:
>In article <1991Jun02.033105.7873@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
>ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) writes:
>> ... rather the fact that I was using the BYU modification of NCSA Telnet.
>> BYU Telnet, as far as I could determine, doesn't use the MacTCP resolver!

>I'm running NCSA Telnet version 2.4 (MacTCP) 3/14/91 which I believe is the
>latest available

The most recent version is 2.4b11 5/8/91.

>and when I comment out the "nameserver" entries in the
>config.tel file it no longer is able to convert names to numbers, even though
>programs *I* wrote that *do* use the MacTCP dns stuff are quite able to lookup
>host names at the same time.  Thus I claim that *no* NCSA telnet makes use
>of the MacTCP lookup stuff, they ALL do it themselves...

I'm currently running 2.4b11 with no nameserver entries in my config.tel
and happily resolving names. I think the bug's been fixed by now...

--John

zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.173337.22@m.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> The most recent version [of NCSA Telnet] is 2.4b11 5/8/91.
> I'm currently running 2.4b11 with no nameserver entries in my config.tel
> and happily resolving names. I think the bug's been fixed by now...

As stated, am happily running without config.tel nameservers with 2.4b11
release.  Thanks for the tip, John!  Was probably either a bug in the old
version or something wrong with my old config.tel file, which I replaced
in the process of upgrading to 2.4b11 ...