[comp.sys.mac.comm] System 7 and the Comm toolbox

kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) (06/02/91)

Perhaps its simply my deranged imagination, which tends to be a bit more
vocal at this time on a weekend morning, but wasn't the communications
toolbox supposed to be a part of System 7?  Or was it actually
intended as a completely separate entity?

Even with the new ftp.apple.com site, which seems to have leaped
tremendous legal barriers, is not distributing the comm toolbox.

Any answers?  Thoughts?  Anecdotes?  Fantasies?  Stock quotes?

Lars
--
~ ~ | Lars Kellogg-Stedman                 | "The art of life
O-O | kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu |   is to be thought odd"
 |  +--------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
-=- |   I'm rarely responsible for what I say, do you think anybody else is?

guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) (06/03/91)

In article <14324@ur-cc.UUCP> kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) writes:
>Perhaps its simply my deranged imagination, which tends to be a bit more
>vocal at this time on a weekend morning, but wasn't the communications
>toolbox supposed to be a part of System 7?  Or was it actually
>intended as a completely separate entity?

From the System 7 manual (Networking Reference p98): The Macintosh
Communications Toolbox is a part of Macintosh System 7. ... Do not
install the Communicatopns Toolbox on your Computer. The ... is now an
integrated part of system software... Wherever programs that use the
Communications Toolbox referred to the "Communications Folder" in the
program itself or its documentation, substitute the "Extensions folder".

--
Andreas J. Guelzow                       <guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Department of Mathematics & Astronomy        University of Manitoba

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (06/03/91)

In article <14324@ur-cc.UUCP>, kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) writes:
> Perhaps its simply my deranged imagination, which tends to be a bit more
> vocal at this time on a weekend morning, but wasn't the communications
> toolbox supposed to be a part of System 7?  Or was it actually
> intended as a completely separate entity?
>
> Even with the new ftp.apple.com site, which seems to have leaped
> tremendous legal barriers, is not distributing the comm toolbox.

The Comm Toolbox IS a part of System 7.  However, the tools are not.  The
only ways you can get the tools is to purchase them from APDA, or to purchase
a package which includes the tools, such as MacTerminal or uAccess.

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Don't take me too seriously -- I never do!  :-)                             |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (06/04/91)

In article <14324@ur-cc.UUCP> kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) writes:
>Perhaps its simply my deranged imagination, which tends to be a bit more
>vocal at this time on a weekend morning, but wasn't the communications
>toolbox supposed to be a part of System 7?  Or was it actually
>intended as a completely separate entity?
>
>Even with the new ftp.apple.com site, which seems to have leaped
>tremendous legal barriers, is not distributing the comm toolbox.

YUP, It's in there! It works just fine. What is not in the package is
the various toolbox modules that make it work. Those will either come
from a vendor selling CTB compatible software, or from APDA.

By the way, anyone notice yet that under MPW 3.3 you need the CTB just
to open the serial port driver? It appears that RAMSDOpen has been removed!
Interesting...

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

jasons@pendragon.TEK.COM (E. Jason Scheck) (06/04/91)

In article <0E010021.d9sjxf@gla-aux.uucp>, glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) writes:
|> The Comm Toolbox IS a part of System 7.  However, the tools are not.  The
|> only ways you can get the tools is to purchase them from APDA, or to purchase
|> a package which includes the tools, such as MacTerminal or uAccess.

As an aside, I bought the original MacTerminal for the Mac 128K, and upgraded
to version 2.x a year or so later.  Is there any upgrade to the current
MacTerminal?  It is still the best terminal emulator I have run across.

------------------------------------
Jason Scheck
jasons@master.CNA.TEK.COM
------------------------------------

woody@nntp-server.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun2.183602.22433@ccu.umanitoba.ca> guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) writes:
>In article <14324@ur-cc.UUCP> kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) writes:
>>Perhaps its simply my deranged imagination, which tends to be a bit more
>>vocal at this time on a weekend morning, but wasn't the communications
>>toolbox supposed to be a part of System 7?  Or was it actually
>>intended as a completely separate entity?
>
>From the System 7 manual (Networking Reference p98): The Macintosh
>Communications Toolbox is a part of Macintosh System 7. ... Do not
>install the Communicatopns Toolbox on your Computer. The ... is now an
>integrated part of system software... Wherever programs that use the
>Communications Toolbox referred to the "Communications Folder" in the
>program itself or its documentation, substitute the "Extensions folder".

But but but...

It ain't documented in my copy of Inside Macintosh v.6 that I just picked
up today from B. Daltons's Software Etc...

Does that mean that I have to order the documentation from APDA or am I
just not looking carefully enough in IM?

					-- Bill

--
	William Edward Woody		   | Disclamer:
USNAIL	P.O.Box 50986; Pasadena, CA 91115  |

leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun3.180054.3482@MDI.COM>, jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) writes:
> By the way, anyone notice yet that under MPW 3.3 you need the CTB just
> to open the serial port driver? It appears that RAMSDOpen has been removed!
> Interesting...

	That's because you SHOULD NOT be using RAMSDOpen anymore.  There is a Tech
Note, somewhere in the 100 range, which discusses the change from RAMSDOpen to
OpenDriver.  Check it out!  The only problem that arises out of making the
change is that you will noonger get 'portInUse' errors due to a bug in _Open
that the glue in  RAMSDOpen worked around.

Leonard Rosenthol

+ Leonard Rosenthol                | AppleLink: MACgician            +
+ Software Ventures                | GEnie:     MACgician            +
+ Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com | AOL:       MACgician            +

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.035059.9684@nntp-server.caltech.edu> woody@nntp-server.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) writes:
>But but but...
>
>It ain't documented in my copy of Inside Macintosh v.6 that I just picked
>up today from B. Daltons's Software Etc...
>
>Does that mean that I have to order the documentation from APDA or am I
>just not looking carefully enough in IM?

Mac CommToolbox manual. It's got a LOT of info that is applicable to
both System 7 AND the Comm Toolbox under System 6. I believe the price
is 22.95. I'm still waiting for my copies of this book AND IM vol VI. I
was "smart" and ordered them directly from AW...

Jack B.
ham radio: wa4fib/7

kazim@Apple.COM (Alex Kazim) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.035059.9684@nntp-server.caltech.edu> woody@nntp-server.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) writes:

>It ain't documented in my copy of Inside Macintosh v.6 that I just picked
>up today from B. Daltons's Software Etc...

Yeah, it never made it into Inside Mac 6 for temporal reasons.  The Sys6
manual is available thru Addison Wesley and your neighborhood book store.
The changes made for System 7 were supposed to be put into a tech note,
so talk to DTS if you're interested.

Alex Kazim, Apple Computer
No longer CommToolbox loudmouth

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.035059.9684@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, woody@nntp-server.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) writes:
> [Info about Comm Toolbox in System 7 deleted]
>
> But but but...
>
> It ain't documented in my copy of Inside Macintosh v.6 that I just picked
> up today from B. Daltons's Software Etc...
>
> Does that mean that I have to order the documentation from APDA or am I
> just not looking carefully enough in IM?

Yes.  Since CTB came out BEFORE System 7, it ended up with its own manual.
However, it is also on the Golden System 7 CD in DiskPaper format.