[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacTCP and System 7.0 w/ AppleTalk

fosler@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (John Eric Fosler) (06/06/91)

I know the nets have been blazing with talk of MacTCP and how to get it
working, but we're stumped as to how to get TCP running again after installing
System 7.

Here's the setup:
Mac IIx, running System 7
Mac TCP set up for Dynamic Addressing
AppleTalk Phase I

Here's the situation...
The computer worked fine before System 7.  Sometimes it took a while to get
an address dynamically (i.e. a few tries with telnet).
We installed System 7, and TCP no longer gets an address.
We tried switching the TCP to manual addressing w/ a valid IP address.  Nope.
We tried a clean System 7 disk, installed TCP from a clean source, configured
it, still no luck.
We tried a System 6 disk w/ TCP.  Still nothing.
We removed everything but the bare bones of the System and we still had zero.

Any suggestions as to what we can do?
Thanx,
Eric Fosler
J. Eric Fosler			| Phone: 215-222-7977	| Your ad here!
CETS Macintosh Administrator	| Office: 898-2476	|
CETS Coordinating Consultant	| CETS Office: 898-4707 | Call 1-800-HEY-ZEUS
fosler@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	|			|

In article <44197@netnews.upenn.edu> fosler@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (John Eric Fosler) writes:
>I know the nets have been blazing with talk of MacTCP and how to get it
>working, but we're stumped as to how to get TCP running again after installing
>System 7.
>
>Here's the setup:
>Mac IIx, running System 7
>Mac TCP set up for Dynamic Addressing
>AppleTalk Phase I
>
>Here's the situation...
>The computer worked fine before System 7.  Sometimes it took a while to get
>an address dynamically (i.e. a few tries with telnet).
>We installed System 7, and TCP no longer gets an address.
>We tried switching the TCP to manual addressing w/ a valid IP address.  Nope.
>We tried a clean System 7 disk, installed TCP from a clean source, configured
>it, still no luck.
>We tried a System 6 disk w/ TCP.  Still nothing.
>We removed everything but the bare bones of the System and we still had zero.
>
>Any suggestions as to what we can do?

Sorry to follow up to my own article, but since I've been getting mail about
this:

We have, as suggested, left MacTCP in the System Folder and aliased it to
the Control Panels folder.

Also, the version we are running is 1.0.2.

Thanx again,
Eric