[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mac/gnuucp 4.3?

david@world.std.com (david c spiegelman) (05/30/91)

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Mac/gnuucp v4.3?  I have ftp
capabilities.

I also have these specific questions:

    - Is Mac/gnuucp 4.3 better that uupc2.1?
    - Does it handle news in addition to mail?
    - Is it any good?

No responses please from ICE.  I am very aware of your program.  Be nice, and
give someone else a try.

+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| David C. Spiegelman                        |  "Capitalism is not Democracy" |
|      david@world.std.com (Internet)        |        - Consolidated          |
|   ...!uunet!world!david  (Usenet)          |  "I was up above it.           |
| THE WORLD, Public Access UNIX for the '90s |   Now I'm down in it."  - NIN  |
+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| DISCLAIMER: I honestly believe, deep in my heart, every word I say.         |

stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.162639.4986@world.std.com>, david@world.std.com (david c spiegelman) writes:
  | Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Mac/gnuucp v4.3?  I have ftp
  | capabilities.

Check out the info-mac archives at sumex...

  | No responses please from ICE.  I am very aware of your program.  Be nice, and
  | give someone else a try.

Flame ON:  Dude.. you may also be aware that ICE _do not_ advertise
on the net.. dispite it being exactly the audience suited to uAccess!

What do you mean, Be nice, give someone else a try!!  GIVE ME A BREAK.. If
you have an opinion STATE IT.  If you have been bombarded with people
who tell you about uAccess, it is only because it's INDESPUTEABLY
the best Macintosh UUCP software currently available, and all they
are trying to do is HELP YOU!.. although it seems that you are totally
oblivious to this fact?
Flame OFF (pant pant pant):

Now if you really want to look at a reasonable shareware uucp front
end, take a look at Fernmail (just posted to binaries).  It does less
than 1% of what _I_ want in a uucp front end or mailer, but it will
suit some, and it's a much nicer interface to uucp than the plain
mailer that comes with MacUUPC.. take if from someone who ran caladan.wa.com
for more than a year with that app.

Opinion Alert:  I've used UUPC on the Mac and PC, dicked around with GNU's,
looked at TCP front ends.. on and on and on... nothing comes close..
not even an ant within the shadow of uAccess as far as power and usability
are concerned.. and if ICE won't blow uAccess's horn on the net, then
I will!  I use it daily.  It is THE best thing out there..

Take it easy.

Stu.

--
stui@avalon.uucp
stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (06/01/91)

In article <1CE00001.gwojmc@avalon.caladan.wa.com>, stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden) writes:
> Opinion Alert:  I've used UUPC on the Mac and PC, dicked around with GNU's,
> looked at TCP front ends.. on and on and on... nothing comes close..
> not even an ant within the shadow of uAccess as far as power and usability
> are concerned.. and if ICE won't blow uAccess's horn on the net, then
> I will!  I use it daily.  It is THE best thing out there..

I agree!  In fact, it is FASTER than A/UX!!!  (570 cps for A/UX vs. 685
cps for uAccess on a V.32 9600 baud link).

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Don't take me too seriously -- I never do!  :-)                             |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |

odell@buitc.bu.edu (Jim O'Dell) (06/03/91)

In article <1991May30.162639.4986@world.std.com> david@world.std.com (david c spiegelman) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Mac/gnuucp v4.3?  I have ftp
>capabilities.
>
>I also have these specific questions:
>
>    - Is Mac/gnuucp 4.3 better that uupc2.1?
>    - Does it handle news in addition to mail?
>    - Is it any good?
>
>No responses please from ICE.  I am very aware of your program.  Be nice, and
>give someone else a try.

I ported GNUUCP to the mac somtime last year and called it Mac/gnuucp.
I will try to answer your questions.

1) Mac/gnuucp has many users and has connected to many
   different brands of UUCP. In that respect it may be
   better than UUPC2.1. In that it doesn't have a 3 window
   g protocol implementation it is worse that UUPC. I believe that
   Mac/gnuucp configuration is easier. Havinf Icons that you can
   double click to call a particular host is nice. The main reason that
   I didn't use UUPC was becasue of the restrictive copyrights on the
   source code. Mac/gnuucp source is available and freely redistributable
   under the terms of the GNU Public license.

2) Mac/gnuucp does not handle news, although it would not be hard to do
   so. Personally, I question the utility od downloading 3 or 4 MB of
   news everyday.

3) You can get it from sumex-aim or several other public systems. Or
   you can send me a check for $30 and I'll send you a disk. There
   is alos a Mac/gnuucp mailing list where users can ask questions
   and get info anbout new releases.

For more information mail to me direclty,

Jim O'Dell
jim@fpr.com

chuck@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) (06/03/91)

In article <1991May30.162639.4986@world.std.com>, david@world.std.com (david c spiegelman) writes:
> I also have these specific questions:
>
>     - Is Mac/gnuucp 4.3 better that uupc2.1?
>     - Does it handle news in addition to mail?
>     - Is it any good?
>
> No responses please from ICE.  I am very aware of your program.  Be nice, and
> give someone else a try.

First, you get what you pay for. I tried for several weeks to get the Mac/gnuucp
4.3 code to work. Jim (?) at Fort Pond was very helpful, but it turns out
that this version *CHOKES* in a big way when used with Telebits spoofing uucp
'g' at 19.2kb. The code just isn't able to keep up a sustained transfer rate
and eventually large (>10k) transfers just hang. At baud rates of 2400 or
less (with no spoofing) there seemed to be no problem with normal UUCP transfers
and mail. Mac/gnuucp 4.3 does not handle news.

I know you don't want to hear from ICE, but I don't work for them, and feel
obligated to put in $.02 worth. The uAccess program is an EXTREMELY well
thought out application, and can be up and running in about 15 minutes.

I highly recommend it. After you've tortured yourself
for a while with the PD versions of uucp out there, you might want to consider
uAccess as an alternative. For the "hobbyist" user, the price might be a little
bit of a disincentive, but it IS a fully functional news and mail system.

Chuck Shotton                 Internet:   cshotton@girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu
"Your silly quote here."      UUCP:       ...!buster!brain!chuck

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (06/04/91)

I am a LITTLE confused here...

In article <82991@bu.edu>, odell@buitc.bu.edu (Jim O'Dell) writes:
> 2) Mac/gnuucp does not handle news, although it would not be hard to do
>    so. Personally, I question the utility od downloading 3 or 4 MB of
>    news everyday.

What?! I get about 450K of news every day. MOST of it in c.b.m.
I could not live without this newsfeed (esp. c.s.m.p).
Utility? It is more important than mail many times!

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) (06/07/91)

In article <1CE00001.gwojmc@avalon.caladan.wa.com> stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden) writes:
>What do you mean, Be nice, give someone else a try!!  GIVE ME A BREAK.. If
>you have an opinion STATE IT.  If you have been bombarded with people
>who tell you about uAccess, it is only because it's INDESPUTEABLY
>the best Macintosh UUCP software currently available, and all they
>are trying to do is HELP YOU!.. although it seems that you are totally
>oblivious to this fact?

Does uAccess have a threaded news reader yet?  I've been using trn for a while
now and I don't think I could go back to non-threaded news reader...

--
Phil Trubey                     |  Internet: phil@shl.com
SHL Systemhouse Inc.            |        or: phil%shl.com@uunet.uu.net

stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun07.023907.5944@shl.com>, phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) writes:
  | Does uAccess have a threaded news reader yet?  I've been using trn for a while
  | now and I don't think I could go back to non-threaded news reader...

uAccess has been able to select threads from day 1!.. option-return
to select the thread in the newsgroup headers window, then return
to open the selected articles.. or press delete to mark the thread
for deletion.

Stu.

--
stui@avalon.uucp
stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com

sw@nan.co.uk (Sak Wathanasin) (06/07/91)

> In article <1991May30.162639.4986@world.std.com>, david@world.std.com (david c spiegelman) writes:
> I also have these specific questions:
>
>     - Is Mac/gnuucp 4.3 better that uupc2.1?

uupc should run faster because it uses the std 3-window 'g' protocol, but I
believe Mac/gnuucp 4.3 does not use sliding windows (window size = 1).

"FernMail" which is a user-friendly mail reading interface to uupc (and gnuucp)
was recently posted to comp.binaries.mac. Nice work!

uAccess uses 3-window as well, AND does it in the background, AND it works
across AppleTalk (in fact, any comms toolbox connection tool). I was more than
happy to archive my copy of uupc.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:	...!ukc!nan!sw
other:	sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK