[comp.sys.mac.comm] Networking Macintosh PCs with Novell

jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au (Joseph Young) (06/03/91)

I am in a situation where I will probably have to install a new
student laboratory consisting of Macintosh workstations. These
Macs would be networked to an existing Novell File Server. I'd
be interested to hear from anyone who maybe running a Mac lab
and using Novell LAN. Some points I'm particularly interested
in are:

1. Can the Mac workstations be setup to remote boot?
2. What type of ethernet cards are available (the suggestion
   is to put low end Macs in such as LCs)?
3. How does one secure Mac mice and keyboards in a student lab
   situation?
4. If anyone is doing this (Mac Lab off Novell File Server), what's
   the performance like and are there any major hassles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Young.
Internet: jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au
          j.young@qut.edu.au

is_s440@ux.kingston.ac.uk (06/10/91)

>1. Can the Mac workstations be setup to remote boot?

not that i know of. I have heard that classics are meant to be
able to do a basic boot from ROM and then will be able to
use an appleshare server to boot properly.

>3. How does one secure Mac mice and keyboards in a student lab
>   situation?

keyboards have a slot/hole for securing. There is no way to secure a
mouse. Could tracker balls be secured I wonder?

>4. If anyone is doing this (Mac Lab off Novell File Server), what's
>   the performance like and are there any major hassles?

I administer appleshare servers but we also have a Novelle server
which is meant to act as an additional server for the macs. However,
the appleshare part of Novelle seems to give its administrator some
trouble because it is never working.
When the Novelle server is running I have tried it and the response seems to
be dreadful :- minutes just to open a folder on the desktop! I have
consequently never taken much notice of it.

Why use Novell when Appleshare is so much better? I know novell has better
security features but who needs 10 different file sharing permission attributes
anyway? Appleshare3 is on the horizon and I think will address some of these
security issues as well as remote booting.

Appleshare is so easy to administer. Just set it up and leave it. I have
to do nothing to our servers for months and months on end. I can get on with
more interesting things.

Another thing: the owner, group attributes of novell dont seem to map very well
to the appleshare side. There is a da and application which Novell
supply for the user to fiddle with his files but it seems to me that no one
is going to want to use yet another special DA or app when Novell should have
made it work with the tools supplied with the Mac system for Appleshare.

Apparently, Novelle is a pain in the arse to administer and this according to
our technical staff who administer the site-wide Unix and VMS networks.

It would seem that I'm biased.

Simon Lucas

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun10.110604.3998@kingston.ac.uk> is_s440@ux.kingston.ac.uk writes:
>>3. How does one secure Mac mice and keyboards in a student lab
>>   situation?
>
>keyboards have a slot/hole for securing. There is no way to secure a
>mouse.

The devious folks at our labs secure mice by means of a cable and a washer.
The inner diameter of the washer is just large enough for the din-8 plug
to pass through.  Once the washer is on the mouse cord, you can thread
a steel cable through the hole.  The cable makes it impossible to remove
the din-8 plug from the washer.

Of course, one could always cut the mouse cord or disassemble the mouse,
but it will at least deter the casual thief.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner