[comp.sys.mac.comm] Where to get Telnet 2.4b11?

jeff@darwin.cc.nd.edu (Jeffrey Kantor) (06/05/91)

I've been trying to get a copy of NCSA Telnet, version 2.4b11.  However,
it seems as if ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu is not taking ftp connections. So,
where does one get new releases of Telnet?

Jeff Kantor
Notre Dame

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (06/06/91)

jeff@darwin.cc.nd.edu (Jeffrey Kantor) writes:
>I've been trying to get a copy of NCSA Telnet, version 2.4b11.  However,
>it seems as if ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu is not taking ftp connections. So,
>where does one get new releases of Telnet?
>
>Jeff Kantor
>Notre Dame

Try ux1.cso.uiuc.edu. Your problem, however, may have something to do with
the fact that you might be doing it from a machine whose IP # isn't found
by polling nameservers... U of I, for instance, won't let my Mac access it
directly. Most other ftp sites don't enforce it. With the proliferation of
small PC's hooked up directly to the Internet, dynamic addressing etc.,
this may become a problem in the future if other sites follow UIUC's suit.
Are there valid security reasons for disallowing anonymous ftp connections
from such "unknown" machines?

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

kgustilo@pennsy.med.jhu.edu (06/11/91)

In article <676362172.58@egsgate.FidoNet.Org>
Jeffrey.Kantor@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Jeffrey Kantor) writes:

>I've been trying to get a copy of NCSA Telnet, version 2.4b11.  However,
>it seems as if ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu is not taking ftp connections. So,
>where does one get new releases of Telnet?

availabe via anon FTP from zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu [141.142.20.50]

watch this space