[comp.sys.mac.comm] sys 7 and telnet

6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jason S. White) (06/01/91)

I walked into work today and I found out that someone installed sys 7 on one
of the computers I work with.  The problem is that they didn't check with me,
and I didn't have a chance to prepare things.  So, things have gone to pot!

The problem that this installation caused was that the NCSA telnet 2.3 (not
the MacTCP version) does not work. The first thing I had to do was reset the
IP number.  When it went on from that I got a "initialization error: driver(E)
not installed."  Confused by this, I checked the config.tel file and every-
thing seemed fine with that file, but it still doesn't work.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Can anyone help?

-Jason S. White

--
Jason S. White         |  6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |  McIntosh Jr.
Nuclear Engineering    |  jsw@sbphy.ucsb.edu        |  The power

ccastjs@prism.gatech.EDU (The Amazing Jim Stembridge (06/02/91)

6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jason S. White) writes:

>I walked into work today and I found out that someone installed sys 7 on one
>of the computers I work with.  The problem is that they didn't check with me,
>and I didn't have a chance to prepare things.  So, things have gone to pot!

>The problem that this installation caused was that the NCSA telnet 2.3 (not
>the MacTCP version) does not work. The first thing I had to do was reset the
>IP number.  When it went on from that I got a "initialization error: driver(E)
>not installed."  Confused by this, I checked the config.tel file and every-
>thing seemed fine with that file, but it still doesn't work.

>Has anyone else had this problem?  Can anyone help?

Yes. The problem is that telnet 2.3 does not work with system 7.0 and
appletalk. It will work with MacTCP. But that doesn't do you any good
does it? I mailed to ncsa's help address and the girl that wrote me
back said the same thing. She didn't seem to understand that I can't
use MacTCP cause I don't have an ethernet connection to that machine.
Anyway, she did say a new release was soon to come out (but it sounded
to me to be another MacTCP version). Bottom line is you can't use
telnet with sys7 and appletalk till they decide to write another version
that is compatible. Otherwise use 6.0.7.
                      ccastjs@prism.gatech.edu
    Jim Stembridge, 3037 Springdale Road, Hapeville, Georgia 30354

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (06/03/91)

ccastjs@prism.gatech.EDU (Jim Stembridge) writes:

>Yes. The problem is that telnet 2.3 does not work with system 7.0 and
>appletalk. It will work with MacTCP. But that doesn't do you any good
>does it? I mailed to ncsa's help address and the girl that wrote me
>back said the same thing. She didn't seem to understand that I can't
>use MacTCP cause I don't have an ethernet connection to that machine.

You can use MacTCP over AppleTalk; you do not need an Ethernet connection.
MacTCP works just fine using a Kinetics or Cayman gateway.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

jonh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Jon Howell) (06/04/91)

Telnet doesn't work with System 7?  So far the only problem I've had
is that Telnet won't find it's config file automatically.  Once I point
it out to Telnet, it seems to work great.

Yep, I'm using an appletalk link to an ethernet to a UNIX machine.

	---Jon
--
 _____   ___    _   _  Jon Howell: jonh@pogo.wv.tek.com | My life's quest is to
|_   _| / _ \  | \ | | 6417 Sorrel	    | find a computer to call for a

tony@mpg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) (06/04/91)

In article <11002@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> jonh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Jon Howell) writes:
>Telnet doesn't work with System 7?  So far the only problem I've had
>is that Telnet won't find it's config file automatically.  Once I point
>it out to Telnet, it seems to work great.

If you're running NCSA Telnet, it will look for the config.tel file in the same
folder that the application resides.  The only thing I had to change when
converting from system 6.0.7 to system 7 was the default font.  Under 6.0.7 I
was using the Monaco font at point size 12.  When system 7 was installed, the
session window overran the right edge of the screen so I ended up switching to
Courier.  Otherwise, everything works the same.

--
Antonio Querubin
tony@mpg.phys.hawaii.edu / ah6bw@uhm.ampr.org / querubin@uhunix.bitnet

kr0u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin William Ryan) (06/05/91)

6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jason S. White)
>I walked into work today and I found out that someone installed sys 7 on one
>of the computers I work with.  The problem is that they didn't check with me,
>and I didn't have a chance to prepare things.  So, things have gone to pot!
>
>The problem that this installation caused was that the NCSA telnet 2.3 (not
>the MacTCP version) does not work. The first thing I had to do was reset the
>IP number.  When it went on from that I got a "initialization error: driver(E)
>not installed."  Confused by this, I checked the config.tel file and every-
>thing seemed fine with that file, but it still doesn't work.

    You might also check to make certain your Ethernet drivers are
installed. If the previous system was trashed and the driver wasn't
reinstalled, neither MacTCP nor anything else can use the card. You
might have to dig out your distribution or Apple disks and reinstall
ethernet software.

    (Based on sad experience here...)

    Note that Shiva has not yet released 7.0 compatible drivers for
their Ethernet cards. I've been trying to get them to call back for
about a week now, as we were supposed to become a beta site for the new
software but haven't received it yet. As far as I know, however, the
Apple boards 7.0 compatible drivers are OK.

                                                       kwr

Internet: kr0u+@andrew.cmu.edu

gaujct@lure.latrobe.edu.au (06/05/91)

In article <13308@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, tony@mpg.phys.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) writes:
> In article <11002@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> jonh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Jon Howell) writes:
>>Telnet doesn't work with System 7?  So far the only problem I've had
>>is that Telnet won't find it's config file automatically.  Once I point
>>it out to Telnet, it seems to work great.
>
> If you're running NCSA Telnet, it will look for the config.tel file in the same
> folder that the application resides.  The only thing I had to change when
> converting from system 6.0.7 to system 7 was the default font.  Under 6.0.7 I
> was using the Monaco font at point size 12.  When system 7 was installed, the
> session window overran the right edge of the screen so I ended up switching to
> Courier.  Otherwise, everything works the same.
>
> --
> Antonio Querubin
> tony@mpg.phys.hawaii.edu / ah6bw@uhm.ampr.org / querubin@uhunix.bitnet

I also had a problem using Monaco 12 with System 7.  The visual appearance of
the text was as if Telnet did not have the bitmapped information for this size.
Courier gave no problems, although the visual effect is nowhere near as nice
as Monaco.

My solution was to replace the Monaco 12 font that came with System 7 with my
old Monaco 12 from System 6.07.  Now Monaco 12 displays as it should.

John Traeger
Dept of Chemistry
La Trobe University
Bundoora
AUSTRALIA

brian@natinst.com (Brian H. Powell) (06/05/91)

     Okay, what's the real scoop?  I've got one user with System 7 and
Telnet 2.3 that has no problems.  I've got another user with the same setup
(almost) and no success.
     The difference is one is on a LocalTalk network connected to a FastPath4
and the other (the one that doesn't work) is on a LocalTalk network connected
to a GatorBox CS.  Both routers are configured for Phase 2 LocalTalk and
Phase 2 EtherTalk.  No response yet from Cayman.  Any ideas?
     I would hate to have to buy a site license for MacTCP ($2500) just to run
telnet.  Is a System 7-compatible non-MacTCP version of NCSA Telnet impossible?

Brian

dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) (06/11/91)

The problem with the default FONT can be traced to incorrect FONT/FOND
resources in the application. ResEdit jocks can use ResEdit to fix the
problem. It should be fixed in the next release (at least I reported
it to ncsa...)

						- David