[comp.sys.mac.comm] SUMMARY: PM9600SA modem and Practical Peripherals

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May27.153939.435@otago.ac.nz>, I wrote:
> I just got the March issue of MacWorld (what a time-lag, maybe I
> should get a direct subscription...), and I was looking through
> the MacConnection ad when I spotted a 9600 modem for $489, rather
> than the usual ~$700. It was the Practical Modem 9600SA by
> Practical Peripherals. I am looking for a 9600 modem at the
> moment, so I thought this was a good deal, perhaps... The
> description was a little uninformative, so I was wondering if
> anyone could answer the following:
[ etc etc ]

Well, I have found out quite a lot about the company and their
modems. Here is an attempt at a summary:

1. Lots of people do in fact own this particular modem, and all
   but two of those who replied were most impressed with them
   (about 80-90% "OK" rating). The modem it self was rated as very
   good to excellent, even though there have been ROM problems
   with it. To counter this, the support from the company has
   been very good (see below).

2. Yes, it is Hayes compatible (see below again).

3. Practical Peripherals have been making modems for several
   years. They produced 2400 modems up until recently, when they
   brought out the 9600SA. There were several bugs in the ROM,
   which were quickly fixed, and the whole thing seems pretty
   stable at the moment. The company is in fact a wholly-owned
   subsidiary of Hayes (that says something :-), and I have
   been told that their support is generally very good to
   excellent. For anyone who wants to get in touch with them,
   their details are as follows:

        PRACTICAL PERIPHERALS
        31245 La Baya Drive
        Westlake Village, California 91362
        USA

        Corporate HQs: 1-818-706-0333
        Technical Support: 1-818-991-8200
        FAX: 1-818-706-2474

Oh, out of interest, I just got a fax back from MacConnection -
their current price (including cable but excluding freight) is
$504.

Thanks to all the (many!) people who replied, you were a great
help in making up my mind.

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (06/04/91)

Is this a real 9600 baud carrier modem, or is it just a 2400 with thur-put of
up to that of arround 960 cps??

ctfm

weiss@crowe.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.214823.1567@news.nd.edu> treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu writes:
>Is this a real 9600 baud carrier modem, or is it just a 2400 with thur-put of
>up to that of arround 960 cps??

It's real.  It's got 9600 baud, PLUS v.42bis, but its serial connection is
limited to 19,200.  It cooks, especially considering the price!
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -

stern@ims.alaska.edu (Pete Stern) (06/04/91)

> It's real.  It's got 9600 baud, PLUS v.42bis, but its serial connection is
> limited to 19,200.  It cooks, especially considering the price!

And the fact it suffers from a known bug in trying to talk to
other low speed modems. Seems they didn't do enough testing with
2400 baud modems before releasing it. To their credit, they have
apparently been releasing a rom a week practically, trying to
fix the problem. At least they are working on the problem unlike
Intel.

Peter Stern                    stern@ims.alaska.edu
Box 60285                      pstern@f38.n17.z1.fidonet.org
Fairbanks AK 99706             65' North DVNet Headquarters BBS

dsiebert@icaen.uiowa.edu (Doug Siebert) (06/04/91)

In article <2994@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@crowe.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
>In article <1991Jun3.214823.1567@news.nd.edu> treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu writes:
>>Is this a real 9600 baud carrier modem, or is it just a 2400 with thur-put of
>>up to that of arround 960 cps??
>
>It's real.  It's got 9600 baud, PLUS v.42bis, but its serial connection is
>limited to 19,200.  It cooks, especially considering the price!

Mine can connect at 38400 with no problem.  Too bad I don't have access to a
9600 v.42bis modem to call into to play with, though :(

lriggins@afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (06/04/91)

In article <2994@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@crowe.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
|It's real.  It's got 9600 baud, PLUS v.42bis, but its serial connection is
|limited to 19,200.  It cooks, especially considering the price!

The one I had (that died within 30 days of new) ran 38,400.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun3.214823.1567@news.nd.edu>, treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu writes:
> Is this a real 9600 baud carrier modem, or is it just a 2400 with thur-put of
> up to that of arround 960 cps??

It is a true V.32 carrier capable modem.

I might add, that after using one for debuging purposes here at ICE,
I can honestly say the modem is a good value. It works, has a decent
box, easy to setup, and it is affordable.

Technical support certainly seemed above par, and when one of our
customers had a problem using their modem with our software, PP had
a modem sent to us immediately so that we could debug the problem
here on site!

WITHOUT compression, we routinely see 700-750 characters per second
(real file characters sent) and with compression, that number will
approach 1200 cps with textual data!

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) (06/05/91)

>> Is this a real 9600 baud carrier modem, or is it just a 2400 with thur-put
>> up to that of arround 960 cps??

I cannot believe that it is 9600 baud.  I would assume that it is 2400
baud carrying 4 bits per signal change. (Hence 9600 bps) Add MNP5 and
you get 19.2Kbps (with 2:1) compression.  Add v42bis and you get 38.4K
(with 4:1) compression.  How do you other people arrive at 9600 baud?

> >WITHOUT compression, we routinely see 700-750 characters per second
>(real file characters sent) and with compression, that number will
>approach 1200 cps with textual data!

Well I have a Hayes UltraSmartmodem 9600 with v42bis.  I was also the
bozo that claimed 22K throughput on compressed files.  Sorry that must
have been yet another late night.  Should have read on text files.
usually can get 960cps to 1100 cps on compressed files

As for the _real_ world, I called Hayes 1-800 bbs in GA. (I live in
Indiana).  Here are the results of a 38.4K connection using Zmodem,
White Knight 11.07 and having Zmodem generate a final report. You can
generate the bits per second by taking the (Size*9bits)/(time*8bits)
(Since you have one stop bit, 8 data bits and no parity).

They highest cps rate that I achieved was ~3100 cps (during the
straight text file) and ~1200 cps for the archived file.

 Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc., Norcross GA, USA

THE-WAVE.TXT  143579  11/27/90  The wave! File transfer test file
DAYRPT.ARC      8423  11/11/87  Compressed Lotus file
DAYRPT.WKS     19712  11/11/87  Standard, non-compressed Lotus file
SUNSET.ARC      5084  11/11/87  Compressed Graphics File
SUNSET.PIC     16391  11/11/87  Standard, non-compressed Graphics file
TEXT109K.ARC   29775  11/11/87  Compressed Text File 109K original
TEXT109K.TXT  111386   3/20/90  Standard, non-compressed Text File

File:'TEXT109K.TXT #1', Time: 0:40, Size: 111386, Efficiency: 71%
File:'SUNSET.PIC #1', Time: 0:06, Size: 16391, Efficiency: 71%
File:'TEXT109K.ARC #1', Time: 0:27, Size: 29775, Efficiency: 28%
File:'DAYRPT.ARC #1', Time: 0:07, Size: 8423, Efficiency: 30%
File:'TEXT109K.ARC #1', Time: 0:27, Size: 29775, Efficiency: 28%

Todd
--
Internet: tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
NeXTMail: tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu

In article <1991Jun4.194525.14503@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) writes:
> >> Is this a real 9600 baud carrier modem, or is it just a 2400 with thur-put
> >> up to that of arround 960 cps??
>
> I cannot believe that it is 9600 baud.  I would assume that it is 2400
> baud carrying 4 bits per signal change. (Hence 9600 bps) Add MNP5 and
> you get 19.2Kbps (with 2:1) compression.  Add v42bis and you get 38.4K
> (with 4:1) compression.  How do you other people arrive at 9600 baud?

The Practical Peripheral Practical Modem 9600SA is a V.32 modem. Fully
capable of 9600 baud carrier, MNP, V.42, V.42bis, and works with Telebits
modems in V.32 and others we've tested with. It is a good value.

weiss@curtiss.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (06/07/91)

In article <6320@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> dsiebert@icaen.uiowa.edu (Doug Siebert) writes:
>In article <2994@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@crowe.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
>>It's real.  It's got 9600 baud, PLUS v.42bis, but its serial connection is
>>limited to 19,200.  It cooks, especially considering the price!
>
>Mine can connect at 38400 with no problem.  Too bad I don't have access to a
>9600 v.42bis modem to call into to play with, though :(

Wait a sec...are you meaning to tell me that you are receiving data through
the Mac serial port from the Practical Peripherals modem at 38.4Kbaud?  Or
are you saying that the modem is receiving data from another modem at 38.4?
There is a difference, ya know.  I had read somewhere (or heard on the net,
or SOMETHING) that the modem could not talk with the computer at faster than
19.2.
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -
-   Weiss   izzydp5@oac.ucla.edu  |   University of California, Los Angeles   -
/ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | \

weiss@curtiss.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun4.194525.14503@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) writes:
>I cannot believe that it is 9600 baud.  I would assume that it is 2400
>baud carrying 4 bits per signal change. (Hence 9600 bps) Add MNP5 and
>you get 19.2Kbps (with 2:1) compression.  Add v42bis and you get 38.4K
>(with 4:1) compression.  How do you other people arrive at 9600 baud?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will point this out.
True, it is not 9600 baud, but it has happened generally that people confused
baud with bits per second.  The maximum baudrate at full duplex is 600 baud
without echo cancellation, 1200 baud with.  By adding phase-shifting, that
1200 baud with 1200 bps can be upped to 1200 baud with 9600 bps.  Also, it
should be noted that 1200 and 2400 bps modems did not achieve those speeds
through echo cancellation, but rather through phase-shifting a 600 baud
carrier.
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /

dsiebert@icaen.uiowa.edu (Doug Siebert) (06/07/91)

In article <3032@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@curtiss.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
>In article <6320@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> dsiebert@icaen.uiowa.edu (Doug Siebert) writes:
>>Mine can connect at 38400 with no problem.  Too bad I don't have access to a
>>9600 v.42bis modem to call into to play with, though :(
>
>Wait a sec...are you meaning to tell me that you are receiving data through
>the Mac serial port from the Practical Peripherals modem at 38.4Kbaud?  Or
>are you saying that the modem is receiving data from another modem at 38.4?
>There is a difference, ya know.  I had read somewhere (or heard on the net,
>or SOMETHING) that the modem could not talk with the computer at faster than
>19.2.

Yup.  I get a message "CONNECT 38400" when it does this.  Plus my manual also
mentions this feature (and the ad I saw before I bought it did as well)  I have
heard that they have been busily updating ROMs and perhaps it started out only
able to talk to the Mac at 19200 but this was later changed?

This reminds me....I bought mine in February and (lazy me) still have yet to
send in the warranty registration card that's sitting in my desk.  Have there
been any major bug fixes (I haven't any had problems though...) since then that
anyone who *has* sent in the warranty card can tell me about?  If not, maybe
I'll just continue to be lazy and wait to send it in until the postage rate
increases (again) :-)

--
|-----------------------------|-----------------------------------------------|
| Doug Siebert                | "All opinions expressed herein are obviously  |

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/08/91)

In article <3032@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@curtiss.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
>>Mine can connect at 38400 with no problem.  Too bad I don't have access to a
>>9600 v.42bis modem to call into to play with, though :(
>
>Wait a sec...are you meaning to tell me that you are receiving data through
>the Mac serial port from the Practical Peripherals modem at 38.4Kbaud?  Or
>are you saying that the modem is receiving data from another modem at 38.4?
>There is a difference, ya know.  I had read somewhere (or heard on the net,
>or SOMETHING) that the modem could not talk with the computer at faster than
>19.2.

No, the Practical Peripherals 9600SA most certainly WILL talk to/from
the Mac at 38.4K.  I run mine that way all the time, and use the &Q6
switch to connect to 2400 baud systems.  Otherwise, it takes care of all
other connection possibilities.

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun4.194525.14503@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) writes:

> >> Is this a real 9600 baud carrier modem, or is it just a 2400 with thur-put
> >> up to that of arround 960 cps??
>
> I cannot believe that it is 9600 baud.  I would assume that it is 2400
> baud carrying 4 bits per signal change. (Hence 9600 bps) Add MNP5 and
> you get 19.2Kbps (with 2:1) compression.  Add v42bis and you get 38.4K
> (with 4:1) compression.  How do you other people arrive at 9600 baud?

Yes, it IS a true V.32/V.42bis 9600 baud modem.  Where have you been over
the last year and a half while the V.32 protocol was being (rather loudly)
announced?

I had a PP 2400SA until two months ago, when I gave it to my dad for his
system, and since I needed FAX capability (for my business) as well as V.32/
V.42/V.42bis, I had replaced it with a Prometheus ProModem 9600M Plus, two
weeks before they introduced the Ultima :-(

At least there's an upgrade path, although slightly pricey ($199)...

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Don't take me too seriously -- I never do!  :-)                             |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |

rbrewer@reed.edu (06/10/91)

In article <0E010021.00p3xj@gla-aux.uucp> glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu writes:
>> I cannot believe that it is 9600 baud.  I would assume that it is 2400
>> baud carrying 4 bits per signal change. (Hence 9600 bps) Add MNP5 and
>> you get 19.2Kbps (with 2:1) compression.  Add v42bis and you get 38.4K
>> (with 4:1) compression.  How do you other people arrive at 9600 baud?
>
>Yes, it IS a true V.32/V.42bis 9600 baud modem.  Where have you been over
>the last year and a half while the V.32 protocol was being (rather loudly)
>announced?
>
>| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
>| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |

I think we are having the classic "baud vs bps" problem. Back when we had 300
baud modems, the baudrate was equal to the number of bits per second (bps).
Baud refers to the number of state changes per second, and it is NOT the same
as the bps. It happened to be the same for early modems, so people got in the
habit of using the word 'baud' instead of 'bps'.

The point that Todd appears to be making is that there is no such thing as a
9600 BAUD modem. A modem using V.32 is 9600 bps, not 9600 baud.

The confusion comes in with 2400 bps modems that have MNP5 or V.42bis. These
allow compression, and therefore in some cases can make actual throughput
(number of bytes stored on your disk) higher than 2400 bps. The manufacturers'
often claim that their modems run at 9600 bps (or even worse 9600 baud!),
which is not true. They may give you better throughput on some
(noncompressed) files, but they are certainly not 9600 bps modems by any
stretch of the imagination.

The moral of the story is: don't use the word baud unless you really have to.
'bps' is almost always the 'right' choice.

I have redirected follow-ups to comp.dcom.modems as this is getting pretty un
Mac-related.

tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) (06/11/91)

>(noncompressed) files, but they are certainly not 9600 bps modems by any
>stretch of the imagination.

People, let's put this to rest one final time.  These modems are 2400
baud, 9600 bps modems!!!!! Trust me on this one.  If you must persist
send me email and I'll happily send you an article that'll explain
most everything that you ever wanted to know about calculating modem
speeds.

Todd