[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacSLIP/PPP Driver for use with MacTCP & X

whaley@duck.ncsc.org (Jonathan Whaley) (06/11/91)

I'd like to run Mac X on my IIsi at home to connect to the UNIX X machines
at my Internet site. This seems possible except that I need something like
Mac SLIP/CSLIP/PPP to sit under MacTCP and do the talking over the serial modem
line connected to the unix machines. Basically I need a serial driver for
MacTCP instead of an ethernet driver.

Is there any thing available that will do this?

I'd rather not get A/UX for my IIsi as it seems like an expensive way to
solve the problem...

Thanks for the help...
----
Jonathan Whaley - North Carolina Supercomputing Center
(919) 248-1165  - PO Box 12889 - 3021 Cornwallis Road
whaley@ncsc.org - Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-2889

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (06/12/91)

In article <2969@speedy.mcnc.org>, whaley@duck.ncsc.org (Jonathan Whaley)
writes:
> I'd like to run Mac X on my IIsi at home to connect to the UNIX X machines
> at my Internet site. This seems possible except that I need something like
> Mac SLIP/CSLIP/PPP to sit under MacTCP and do the talking over the serial
modem
> line connected to the unix machines. Basically I need a serial driver for
> MacTCP instead of an ethernet driver.
>
> Is there any thing available that will do this?

Not currently.  But keep your eyes open there are several being worked on.

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh