[comp.sys.mac.comm] System 7.0 file sharing via modem ?

atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) (06/07/91)

This is probably a stupid question .....

Is it possible to use the built-in file sharing in
System 7.0 over a modem connection? What is required
to get this working (aside from two Macs running 7.0
and two modems)?

T.
+ University of Waterloo               | atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu +
+ Department of Electrical Engineering | atschnei@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca +
+ VLSI Group                           | Office:(519)885-1211 x3896 +

hilbish@en.ecn.purdue.edu (David B Hilbish) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.153105.2514@vlsi.waterloo.edu> atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) writes:
>This is probably a stupid question .....
>
>Is it possible to use the built-in file sharing in
>System 7.0 over a modem connection? What is required
>to get this working (aside from two Macs running 7.0
>and two modems)?
>
>T.
>--

I would really like to do this also. If anybody has any suggestions I
would like the answer also.

Mail hilbish@gimli.bio.purdue.edu

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (06/09/91)

I am also interested in file sharing over a modem.  Please include me
--

weiss@babbage.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (06/10/91)

>In article <1991Jun7.153105.2514@vlsi.waterloo.edu> atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) writes:
>>Is it possible to use the built-in file sharing in
>>System 7.0 over a modem connection? What is required
>>to get this working (aside from two Macs running 7.0
>>and two modems)?
>I would really like to do this also. If anybody has any suggestions I
>would like the answer also.

Seeing as how this has been asked by more than one person, I'm responding
in a post.  I would assume that the only way to properly do this would be
by using Liaison on the two machines.  However, I have not heard anything
in the way of Sys7 compatibility with Liaison...you may have to contact
Farallon to find this out.
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -

ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (06/12/91)

In <1991Jun7.153105.2514@vlsi.waterloo.edu> atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) writes:

>This is probably a stupid question .....

>Is it possible to use the built-in file sharing in
>System 7.0 over a modem connection? What is required
>to get this working (aside from two Macs running 7.0
>and two modems)?

I responded to the original poster by mail, but since there is so much
interest, I will respond here as well.

First of all, you don't need two system 7 macs.  One will do, the other can
be running just about any version.  System 7 simply incorporates standard
AppleShare.

Secondly, I don't think there is a product that is directly designed to do
what you are proposing.  There are many apps that allow file sharing over
a modem, but none that specifically take advantage of personal AppleShare.
What I would reccomend is Timbuktu Remote.  It allows you do dial up the
host mac from a remote station and USE the host like you where there.  It
also supports file transfer.

The other option (this is good if you already have a network) is to attach
a network modem (Shiva has one, forget what it's called) and simply dial
up the network and use the system 7 mac's files like you where there.

Another poster suggested Liasson.  I don't understand this suggestion, I
was not aware that Liasson had dial-in capabilities.  As far as I know,
Liasson is simply a router that runs in the background.  Please correct
me on this if I'm wrong.

--
Alex Jauch
*ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu       |"If all you have is a hammer, then the whole*

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (06/12/91)

<2855244A.1508@ics.uci.edu> ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch):

><1991Jun7.153105.2514@vlsi.waterloo.edu> atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider):

>>Is it possible to use the built-in file sharing in
>>System 7.0 over a modem connection? What is required
>>to get this working (aside from two Macs running 7.0
>>and two modems)?

>Secondly, I don't think there is a product that is directly designed to do
>what you are proposing.  There are many apps that allow file sharing over
>a modem, but none that specifically take advantage of personal AppleShare.
>What I would reccomend is Timbuktu Remote.  It allows you do dial up the
>host mac from a remote station and USE the host like you where there.  It
>also supports file transfer.

Remote control of a Mac is not always what people want.  I know that Timbuktu
Remote also includes some file transfer capabilities, but if that is all that
is required, then likely setting up some skanky serial communication program
like White Knight in server mode and setting the modem to auto answer would
be much better....

>The other option (this is good if you already have a network) is to attach
>a network modem (Shiva has one, forget what it's called) and simply dial
>up the network and use the system 7 mac's files like you where there.

Yes, basically you are then attaching your remote Mac to the established network
over a dial-up serial connection.  Shiva has two network modems that I am aware
of.  One is 2,400 bps and the other is 9,600 bps.  The slow one is too slow for
any serious work and the fast one is too expensive for such a poor 9,600 bps
modem.  (I don't remember all of the features it didn't have -- I just remember
dismissing it as an option pretty quickly....)

There are other ways of doing this too.  Liaison will do this.  Set up a Liaison
router on the network and configure a dial-up network (you need a modem too, of
course).  Again the faster the modems the better....

Oh, and I should point out that _everyone_ who has a Mac has a network!  (You
just have to make sure that you have used the installer to put the AppleShare,
or network printer, or whatever, resources into your system....)  Both a Shiva
NetModem and a Liaison router will work on a "standalone" Mac....

>Another poster suggested Liasson.  I don't understand this suggestion, I
>was not aware that Liasson had dial-in capabilities.  As far as I know,
>Liasson is simply a router that runs in the background.  Please correct
>me on this if I'm wrong.

You stand corrected.  I posted another of my long-winded articles raving about
Liaison the other day.  See that for more info.  Unfortunately I never saw it,
and therefore didn't get a chance to save a copy, so I will likely have to re-
type the thing some weeks from now when it comes up again....

+----   C   o   n   r   a   d       C   .       N   o   b   i   l   i     ----+
|         Harvard University          | Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu |
|       Office for Info. Tech.        |           conrad@popvax.harvard.edu   |
|        Information Services         | BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA          |
|     Technical & User Services       |           CONRAD AT HARVSPHB          |
|        1730 Cambridge Street        | voice:    (617) 495-8554              |
+----    Cambridge, MA  02138         | fax:      (617) 495-0715          ----+