[comp.sys.mac.comm] 9600 baud?

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/12/91)

Responding to the following:

"> I cannot believe that it is 9600 baud.  I would assume that it is 2400
> baud carrying 4 bits per signal change. (Hence 9600 bps) Add MNP5 and
> you get 19.2Kbps (with 2:1) compression.  Add v42bis and you get 38.4K
> (with 4:1) compression.  How do you other people arrive at 9600 baud?

Yes, it IS a true V.32/V.42bis 9600 baud modem.  Where have you been over
the last year and a half while the V.32 protocol was being (rather loudly)
announced?"

Sorry. V.32 is a 2400 baud standard that carries 4 bits per signal, as the

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (06/12/91)

In article <54@ryptyde.UUCP>, dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
>Responding to the following:

>"> I cannot believe that it is 9600 baud.  I would assume that it is 2400
>> baud carrying 4 bits per signal change. (Hence 9600 bps) Add MNP5 and
>> you get 19.2Kbps (with 2:1) compression.  Add v42bis and you get 38.4K
>> (with 4:1) compression.  How do you other people arrive at 9600 baud?

>Yes, it IS a true V.32/V.42bis 9600 baud modem.  Where have you been over
>the last year and a half while the V.32 protocol was being (rather loudly)
>announced?"

>Sorry. V.32 is a 2400 baud standard that carries 4 bits per signal, as the

I think that part of the problem is due to the modem manufacturers
themselves.  For instance, I have a ZOOM 2400 modem that I got a few years
ago.  I quote from the manual, page 3 (spelling errors are mine; the words
are theirs):

	_General_Description_

	This 2400 baud modem provides high speed data communication
	capability for your computer, terminal or other serial device
	through an RS-232 serial interface.

	It is a Digital Signal Procesor based, CCITT V.22 bis compatible
	modem that supports all the fallback and operating requirements for
	asynchronous data communications at 2400, 1200, and 300 bps, and it
	is...

So, the company selling me the modem uses the terms baud and bps
interchangably - it shouldn't come as a surprise that lots of users are
confused about the difference as well.
           John Price * * * * price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.