[comp.sys.mac.comm] How to get a driver for the Kinetics/Excelan/Shiva ethernet cards

sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no (Sigurd Meldal) (05/23/91)

I got hold of Shiva tech. support today, and queried them about the
status of the drivers for their ethernet cards for system 7. Their
response was that a new release will become available come June/July,
and will be posted to all the BBS's they knew of. After being
garrulous, I was also told that I could get a Beta version of the
drivers off the Shiva BBS if I really needed it, just call (617) 252
6446, she said. 2400 bps, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit (did I get
that right?). Just do what the dialog asks you to do, and remember to
specify "b" (or "B"?) for beta at the appropriate point.

This is all very well, but the transatlantic phone lines being what
they are I have been unable to get a good connection to them (besides,
the phone charges could make it expensive). So. If some kind soul
would kindly make the phone call, retrieve the drivers (I need the
ones for the Etherport II cards, both old and new) and email them to
me (or make them ftp-able) I would be very much obliged. If that
person were an Etherport II user herself then all the better.

In expectant appreciation,

Sigurd Meldal
--
	Department of Informatics | Arpa:sigurd@ii.uib.no
        Hoyteknologisenteret	  |	 meldal@anna.stanford.edu

Angus.Fox@UK.Sun.COM (Angus Fox) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.195157.2746@eik.ii.uib.no> sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no
(Sigurd Meldal) writes:
> (I need the
> ones for the Etherport II cards, both old and new) and email them to
> me (or make them ftp-able) I would be very much obliged. If that
> person were an Etherport II user herself then all the better.

I have an EtherPort II and installed EtherTalk from the System 7 gold
master and it just works fine ! Phase 2 only however. Try that. If it
fails send me a mail and I'll mail you my driver.

Angus Fox
Sun Microsystems Europe Inc - Sitka
Internet:Angus.Fox@uk.Sun.com
Janet:Angus.Fox@sun.co.uk
AppleLink:SITKAEUROPE
Phone: +44 276 51440
(Sorry to post. This would never make it by mail)

diessel@mephisto.uucp (Thomas Diessel) (05/24/91)

I wonder why Shiva doesn't make it available on their ftp-server (shiva.com)
and maybe post to the net where it can be retrieved. I think customers would
really appreciate this service.

Thomas Diessel
University of the Federal Armed Forces at Munich
CS Dept.
Werner-Heisenberg-Weg 39
D-W-8014 Neubiberg
Germany
E-Mail: diessel@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de

rpcfod@nimbus@UUNET.UU.NET (06/13/91)

In article <1991May24.122926.23569@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE>
diessel@mephisto.uucp (Thomas Diessel) writes:
>I wonder why Shiva doesn't make it available on their ftp-server (shiva.com)
>and maybe post to the net where it can be retrieved. I think customers would
>really appreciate this service.

Shiva tells me they're not going to release their 7.0 beta software to the
servers until it's out of beta ... Their call, not mine.