[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacTCP 1.02

frank@cs.yorku.ca (Frank Pikelner) (06/06/91)

Hello everyone,

I am having difficulties setting up NCSA Telnet 2.3 for TCP. I have purchased the
current version of MacTCP 1.02 . The following is the layout of my net:

 132.58.1.10
 +-----+-------------------+  <LocalTalk> 132.58.1.xx
       |                   |
     Mac SE           FastPath 3  <--132.58.1.220 localtalk port
                      (gateway)   <--132.58.2.5    ethernet port

                <-----------+--------+------+------+-----------> <thin ethernet>
                                     |      |      |              132.58.2.xx
                                    Sun    Sun    Sun
                                132.58.2.2       132.58.2.4
                                         132.58.2.3

I have previously setup the NCSA Telnet for LocalTalk (not TCP ver.) 2.3 without
difficulties and had no problems connecting to the Sun (UNIX) hosts. When I try to
do the sam efor the TCP version of NCSA's Telnet - no luck. I've gone through the
documentation and I seem to understand the setup for MacTCP - well I though I did
anyway. Here is my setup:

Mac TCP
-------

IP NUMBER:                       Addressing:

    * Manually                    132.58.1.10
    o Server
    o Dynamically                Subnet:

                                  255.255.255.0

Gateway:                         Net: 33??? (can't recall now)
                              Subnet: 1
    132.58.1.220                Node: 10

                                Domain Name Servers:                    default

                                gumby.cs.yorku.ca       132.58.2.2      *

The FastPath 3 is running ETALKGW.SREC . When I run NCSA's Telnet it comes up but
I am unable to connect to any hosts. Also when running the regular version of
Telnet the Mac can be PINGED from the UNIX box, yet with the MacTCP running I can
not. I am using the same configuration file for Telnet(TCP) as for the regular
version. My suspision is the problem is with the MacTCP setup or something with
the FASTPATH setup. I am trying to get as a priority MacTCP setup because its
next implementation will be testing Van Morrison's PCRoute software. I apologize
if this is something trivial and has been discussed before. But for what seems to
be a straight forward configuration, the solution has somehow eluded me. Please
reply by either EMAIL or post to this NEWS GROUP.

Many thanks in advance,

Frank Pikelner
Technical Assistant
York University, Toronto, Cnd
frank@cs.yorku.ca

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/06/91)

In article <511@yetti.UUCP> frank@cs.yorku.ca (Frank Pikelner) writes:
>     Mac SE           FastPath 3  <--132.58.1.220 localtalk port
>                      (gateway)   <--132.58.2.5    ethernet port

I have had people from both Apple and Novell (who owned the FastPath at
the time) that KFPS-2's and KFPS-3's are incompatible with MacTCP.
This certainly is borne out in my experience.

You'll have to replace your FastPath; Shiva or Cayman may give you a trade-in
allowance.

I haven't seen the new box from Shiva.  The previous generation of Gatorboxen
were easier to configure than FastPaths, and support from Cayman is good.
You can write to info@cayman.com; I have no address for Shiva.

Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

paisley@mte.ncsu.edu (Mike Paisley) (06/06/91)

In article <511@yetti.UUCP> frank@cs.yorku.ca (Frank Pikelner) writes:
>Hello everyone,
>I have previously setup the NCSA Telnet for LocalTalk (not TCP ver.) 2.3
without
>difficulties and had no problems connecting to the Sun (UNIX) hosts. When I
try to
>do the sam efor the TCP version of NCSA's Telnet - no luck. I've gone through
the
>documentation and I seem to understand the setup for MacTCP - well I though I
did
>anyway. Here is my setup:

I went through this EXACT same problem about 6 months ago.
I complained on the net about it and actually got a call
from the guy at Apple who wrote MacTCP.  The problem is
that the gateway needs to create two named objects called
"IPADDRESS" and "IPGATEWAY" where the IPGATEWAY has a name
that is its IP address.  The FastPath 2's and 3's code
don't do that, and I couldn't find anyone who could
supply me with one that did.  I heard (rumored) that an
old version of the CAP package will do it, but I wasn't
interested, so didn't follow up on it. My solution was to
upgrade, switching to GatorBoxes, because the rest of the
campus runs them, and it made sense to be the same.  Now
that Shiva has announced the FastPath 5, you might want
to look into what you can get for an upgrade.  They were
offering upgrade (since expired) to FP4 for $1000.

Mike Paisley  (paisley@mte.ncsu.edu)

ayrjola@hut.fi (Ari Yrj|l{) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun5.194013.24996@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

   I have had people from both Apple and Novell (who owned the FastPath at
   the time) that KFPS-2's and KFPS-3's are incompatible with MacTCP.
   This certainly is borne out in my experience.

My experience is different, MacTCP and KFPS-3 work fine together.
First we had problems but it turned out to be the settings in MacTCP.
You should not use the dynamic IP addressing, instead choose that
server gadget (hope I'm remembering this right, not on a mac now..)

--
Ari  Yrj|l{       Internet:  ayrjola@hut.fi          /
JMT 3B 231b       BITNET :   LK-AY AT FINHUT        / Money talks -