[comp.sys.mac.comm] NCSA Telnet Suddenly Doesn't Work

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (06/14/91)

I am apparently the kind of person who changes everything in his system
at once, then wonders why nothing works.

I just removed an Asante Ethernet card from SE, and replaced it with
a NuvoLink SC SCSI-->Ethernet box. The NuvoLink SC was running perfectly
on a IIcx I had sitting on my desk two days ago. I was happily telneting
and ftping to my NeXTCube, shooting files back and forth as if there
were no tomorrow. Well, it's a good thing, because tomorrow is here,
and now NCSA Telnet won't run!

I am running MacTCP, and NCSA/BYU Telnet 2.3.4 for MacTCP. Again, this
is the same set up I had on the SE earlier with the Asante card, and
the same set up I had with the NuvoLink SC on the IIcx.

Now, however, when I double-click on the Telnet icon, it runs, shows the
startup dialog box, then quits back to the finder. Not even a box saying
that the program unexpectedly quit. It's almost as if I run it and
immediately press Command-Q.

Would someone tell me, please, what exactly is needed to run NCSA
Telnet properly? And what is needed to run MacTCP? And does anyone have
direct experience with the NuvoLink SC?

Thanks!
MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland

bell@apple.com (Mike Bell) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun14.034710.21222@wam.umd.edu>, mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D.
Callaghan) writes:
> From: mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm
> Subject: NCSA Telnet Suddenly Doesn't Work
> Date: 14 Jun 91 03:47:10 GMT
> Sender: usenet@wam.umd.edu (USENET Posting)
>
> I am apparently the kind of person who changes everything in his system
> at once, then wonders why nothing works.
>
> I just removed an Asante Ethernet card from SE, and replaced it with
> a NuvoLink SC SCSI-->Ethernet box. The NuvoLink SC was running perfectly
> on a IIcx I had sitting on my desk two days ago. I was happily telneting
> and ftping to my NeXTCube, shooting files back and forth as if there
> were no tomorrow. Well, it's a good thing, because tomorrow is here,
> and now NCSA Telnet won't run!
>
> I am running MacTCP, and NCSA/BYU Telnet 2.3.4 for MacTCP. Again, this
> is the same set up I had on the SE earlier with the Asante card, and
> the same set up I had with the NuvoLink SC on the IIcx.
>
> Now, however, when I double-click on the Telnet icon, it runs, shows the
> startup dialog box, then quits back to the finder. Not even a box saying
> that the program unexpectedly quit. It's almost as if I run it and
> immediately press Command-Q.
>
> Would someone tell me, please, what exactly is needed to run NCSA
> Telnet properly? And what is needed to run MacTCP? And does anyone have
> direct experience with the NuvoLink SC?
>
> Thanks!
> MikeC
>
> --
> Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland

   NCSA Telnet does this when it detects an IP address conflict. Could this be
the problem ?

                   Mike Bell

Mike Bell											email: bell@apple.com
MacDTS
Apple Computer, Inc.
20525 Mariani Ave.
Cupertino, CA 95014

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/14/91)

>> Now, however, when I double-click on the Telnet icon, it runs, shows the
>> startup dialog box, then quits back to the finder.
>   NCSA Telnet does this when it detects an IP address conflict. Could this be
>the problem ?

This is what NCSA telnet does when it can't open the MacTCP driver, for
whatever reason.  A duplicate IP address can certainly cause it, but
so can a missing ethernet driver.  My money's on the latter, in this case.

Did you install a driver for the NuvoLink SC?
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner