[net.railroad] Repost

aegroup@tekigm.UUCP (Dennis Ward) (11/20/85)

Newsgroups: net.railroad
Subject: Re: Track Availability
Date: 12 Aug 85 15:10:24 GMT

When I was talking about various rail sizes, I was assuming scale model
railroading.  I do not consider AHM equipment (as sold) to be scale model
railroading equipment.  True, it can be converted to scale thru wheel
replacements, etc. but that was not what the original question was.  The
original question was on the availability of scale flex track in the SF area.
Railcraft track is available in various scales and gages and rail sizes.  While
Shinohara is available also, it is not available in nearly as many scales,
gages, rail sizes and some of the Shinohara does suffer from gage problems.
This is not to say don't buy Shinohara, but merely check it for gage before
you buy it or know how to fix it.
Back to AHM equipment, while a much better quality toy then Tyco, none-the-less
it still is for the toy trade, with toy flanges.  However, some of the later
AHM (before it went bankrupt) was available in scale RP25 flanges.  (Granted
that even RP25 flanges are not truly "scale".)  Several companies are now
selling what was AHM or Rivarossi under different names (IHC, etc.) -- I do
not know what type flanges they are using.  But yes, you are right, if you
use AHM or other european/deep flanged cars or locos, then you must use code
83 or higher rail.  (Although I have seen code 70 laid with thin head spikes
so that AHM could run on it ok.)
--Bill--