[comp.sys.mac.comm] ZTERM questions

davea@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Dave Alverson) (05/03/90)

In article <675@sierra.stanford.edu>, robinson@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Heyward G. Robinson) writes:
> about printing selected text. It seems to work ok with a laserwritter,
> but not with a deskwriter. In either case, I never see the standard

ZTerm v0.85 uses low level printing.  This works on the IW & LW, but
not on the DeskWriter (and maybe some others).  I am switching over to
using the Printing manager, so it should be compat with most printers
and will give it more flexibility/options.

> The second question is about interupted file transfers. I have been
> trying to upload system 6.05 from a unix machine using zmodem.
> Everything seemed to work fine, but when I go to look at the file, it
> has a partial zterm icon, indicating that the transfer wasn't

This is a bug.  On a restarted transfer, the final file will not have
the correct creator and type.  Also, there is usually another file
laying around with a similar name, the correct creator/type, and
zero length.  It'll be fixed also.

Since I have recently received mail asking when the next release will
be out, let me answer here as best I can.  I am somewhat embarassed
that it has been 6 months, but it seems I have only gotten about 2
months worth of work into it during that period.  There are a
couple of special dates near the end of this month that I am shooting
for, but when I think of all the things I need to do, it seems unlikely
it will be ready.  At least the goal will make me work at it a little
more diligently.

   -- Dave

--
Z  Dave Alverson,   Cincinnati & Mason, Ohio
Z  Address: davea@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (05/07/90)

	Does anyone use GNU emacs under Zterm 0.85?  Whenever I start up
	GNUS (new reader), messages printed to the emacs minibuffer scrolls
	the window.  Does anyone else have this problem?  What is the fix?
	I set my environment variable to 'vt100' and running GNU emacs
	18.52.3 under Ultrix.

	=Mike

--
= Michael K. Yee =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
= OPEN Software Foundation -- 11 Cambridge Center -- Cambridge, MA 02142

robinson@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (robinson) (05/08/90)

Michael Yee writes:
 Does anyone use GNU emacs under Zterm 0.85?  Whenever I start up
        GNUS (new reader), messages printed to the emacs minibuffer
	scrolls the window.

I use it with gnuemacs. I had some problems at first, but after I
clicked the Auto Line Feed off (terminal..., under settings menu), I
have had no problems. I hope this helps.
                             -Heyward Robinson

lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ken Linger) (03/01/91)

In using Zterm with Unix (BSD4.3) with a 2400 baud modem, the best Z transfer
I can get is 21%.  Is there a way to get this higher?  Sure would be nice or is
21% because my modem isn't fast enough?

Thanks in advance!

Ken Linger
lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

charlie@bongo.cc.utexas.edu (charlie blake) (06/16/91)

I was given a copy of ZTERM to try, and let me say I love it.
I downloaded my first files today and it was so simple.

I do have a few questions which I couldn't figure out with the help of the
enclosed manual.
1)  What exactly is a CRC error?
2)  Is it on my end or elsewhere?
3)  Can it go through a series of numbers for redials till connected?
4)  Does it automatically select the best transfer procedure?
5)  When is a new copy coming out?

thanks     --    charlie@bongo.cc.utexas.edu