[comp.sys.mac.comm] FTP for MacTCP?

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (06/10/91)

I asked a while ago about this, but only got a few confused replies.
I have a stock Mac II machine with Ethertalk card, and MacTCP 1.0.1.
I am currently using NCSA Telnet 2.2-TCP for communications, but there
_still_ is no FTP.  By FTP, I mean I want to initiate an FTP session
from the Mac to a remote host for file transfer.  I do *not* want to
telnet to that host and start a reverse-FTP session like with the non-TCP
Telnet and 2.3 Telnet.  Telnet and FTP exist as two different programs for
the MSDOS machines, doesn't it exist for the Macintosh?  Where?

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (06/10/91)

An FTP client for the Mac is available. XferIt, written by Steve
Falkenburg, is available from ftp.apple.com in the dts/mac/hacks
directory. It is shareware and a really nice program.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) (06/10/91)

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:

>I asked a while ago about this, but only got a few confused replies.
>I have a stock Mac II machine with Ethertalk card, and MacTCP 1.0.1.
>I am currently using NCSA Telnet 2.2-TCP for communications, but there
>_still_ is no FTP.  By FTP, I mean I want to initiate an FTP session
>from the Mac to a remote host for file transfer.  I do *not* want to
>telnet to that host and start a reverse-FTP session like with the non-TCP
>Telnet and 2.3 Telnet.  Telnet and FTP exist as two different programs for
>the MSDOS machines, doesn't it exist for the Macintosh?  Where?

Check out xferit, archived at sumex-aim as /info-mac/comm/xferit.hqx. A
nice implementation. There is also a hypercard based one archived as
/info-mac/comm/hyperftp-13.hqx; you probably don't want to deal with the
overhead of running a slow program that takes up a meg of RAM, though.
Also, if you can get your hands on Mac/IP from Stanford (it's largely
free to educational sites, I believe, although I'm not the one to talk
to about that - I'm just a lowly undergrad), it also has an ftp function
- although it's nowhere near as fast as xferit. Enjoy!

>Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
>Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what
>ARPA: ce1zzes@prism.gatech.edu     |             we have now." -Unknown
>uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ce1zzes

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                   draphsor@leland.stanford.edu

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (06/10/91)

Many thanks for all your replies.  I came into my office this morning to
find my mailbox stuffed with helpful answers, which basically boiled down to:
1) Xferit (at sumex)
2) Versaterm Pro
3) BYU Telnet, a modified NCSA Telnet tailored to MacTCP.

I will try the Telnet program first; I didn't know that it has gotten to
version 2.4b11.  (Sounds wrong, though; I haven't seen the 'official'
release 2.3, only betas.  Might actually be 2.3b11.)

Eric
--

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/11/91)

In article <draphsor.676535368@elaine39.Stanford.EDU>, draphsor@elaine39.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) writes:
|> Check out xferit, archived at sumex-aim as /info-mac/comm/xferit.hqx. A
|> nice implementation.
|> Also, if you can get your hands on Mac/IP from Stanford (it's largely
|> free to educational sites, I believe, although I'm not the one to talk
|> to about that - I'm just a lowly undergrad), it also has an ftp function
|> - although it's nowhere near as fast as xferit. Enjoy!

I started with MacIP, and use XferIt now. Despite a few bugs,
it's more stable and is much faster. The big improvement over
other programs is it seems to debinhex on the fly, rather than
downloading first then debinhexing. This is so quick, I'm not
sure if there is any speed advantage in debinhexing on the unix
side (perhaps someone with the unix software for this will check
this out).
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.025124.27673@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
>An FTP client for the Mac is available. XferIt, written by Steve
>Falkenburg, is available from ftp.apple.com in the dts/mac/hacks
>directory. It is shareware and a really nice program.

That's really funny. Because once you get xferit you might not
be able to use xferit to get files from ftp.apple.com. Apple has
implemented some kind of ip number lookup to see who you are.
If your network number is not in some database it will not allow a connection.
My mac sits behind a gatorbox and my network number is assigned dynamically.
So there is not entry in the database for my mac. So I have to
use the sun to get files from apple. Its kind of ironic.

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (06/11/91)

In article <30989@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard)
writes:
> I asked a while ago about this, but only got a few confused replies.
> I have a stock Mac II machine with Ethertalk card, and MacTCP 1.0.1.
> I am currently using NCSA Telnet 2.2-TCP for communications, but there
> _still_ is no FTP.  By FTP, I mean I want to initiate an FTP session
> from the Mac to a remote host for file transfer.  I do *not* want to
> telnet to that host and start a reverse-FTP session like with the non-TCP
> Telnet and 2.3 Telnet.  Telnet and FTP exist as two different programs for
> the MSDOS machines, doesn't it exist for the Macintosh?  Where?
>
> Eric

Well it does in several forms.

PD

NCSA Telnet has been modified by BYU to include a basic FTP server/client.
There are several HyperCard FTP stacks (HyperFTP comes to mind)
There is SU-MacIP which if I remember has both client and server

Commercial

Novell LAN workplace for the Mac
Wollongong Mac PathWay Access
Intercon TCP/Connect II

That's about all I can come up with on short notice.

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/11/91)

In article <31032@hydra.gatech.EDU>
           ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:
> Many thanks for all your replies.  I came into my office this morning to
> find my mailbox stuffed with helpful answers, which basically boiled down to:
> 1) Xferit (at sumex)
> 2) Versaterm Pro
> 3) BYU Telnet, a modified NCSA Telnet tailored to MacTCP.

Note that plain Versaterm includes the FTP client capability.  You can do FTP
transfers via Versaterm or via another program that comes with Versaterm (the
second program does nothing but FTP transfers).  I've only had it for a few
hours, as I just got my copy today, but it seems pretty nice.

Plain Versaterm is cheaper than Versaterm Pro.  Versaterm Pro includes some
snazzy Tektronix emulation, but if you don't need that then Versaterm is just
about as good as Versaterm Pro.

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (06/11/91)

>>  2) Versaterm Pro

> Note that plain Versaterm includes the FTP client capability....

> Plain Versaterm is cheaper than Versaterm Pro.  Versaterm Pro includes some
> snazzy Tektronix emulation....

Versaterm does Tektronix 4014 emulation with graphics capture and
printing in "bitmap" (screen resolution) mode.  Versaterm-PRO adds
Tektronix 4107 emulation and graphics capture and printing in "vector"
mode.  The Tek4014 in plain Versaterm is still pretty snazzy.

Charles Allen                           Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics                   HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
Purdue University                       Bitnet:   cca@fnal.bitnet
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1396          talknet:  317/494-9776

conrad@popvax.uucp (M20400@c.nobili) (06/11/91)

In article <25295@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.sri.com (Matt Mora) writes:

><1991Jun10.025124.27673@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick)

>>An FTP client for the Mac is available. XferIt, written by Steve
>>Falkenburg, is available from ftp.apple.com in the dts/mac/hacks
>>directory. It is shareware and a really nice program.

>That's really funny. Because once you get xferit you might not
>be able to use xferit to get files from ftp.apple.com. Apple has
>implemented some kind of ip number lookup to see who you are.
>If your network number is not in some database it will not allow a connection.
>My mac sits behind a gatorbox and my network number is assigned dynamically.
>So there is not entry in the database for my mac. So I have to
>use the sun to get files from apple. Its kind of ironic.

>Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
>SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

Well, that's not quite right.  You _can_ have your dynamic IP addresses and
your Macs in your nameserver's database too.  When I encountered this problem
some months ago with terminator.cc.umich.edu I complained to our campus network
people.  It took a little convincing before they decided they'd humor me by
adding entries at the nameserver(s) for _all_ of our GatorBox's dynamic IP add-
resses.  Needless to say, it worked.

So, if your Macs get dynamic IP addresses like 128.18.x.m through 128.18.x.n,
then you should have entries like:

	128.18.x.m      sri-mac1 sri-mac1.sri.com
	128.18.x.m+1    sri-mac2 sri-mac2.sri.com
			.
			.
			.
	128.18.x.n      sri-mac(n-m+1) sri-mac(n-m+1).sri.com

added to the nameservers that maintain the database of machines at sri.com.  I
think this should solve _your_ (or SRI's) problem.  Note that this is _not_
Apple's problem.  They are just trying to keep tabs on who is taking advantage
of their wonderful new ftp server....

I hope this is helpful.  I posted it here rather than sending it by mail, as I
bet there are others who have had this problem, and perhaps some have been told
that it can't be fixed by their local network gurus as I was first told....

+----   C   o   n   r   a   d       C   .       N   o   b   i   l   i     ----+
|         Harvard University          | Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu |
|       Office for Info. Tech.        |           conrad@popvax.harvard.edu   |
|        Information Services         | BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA          |
|     Technical & User Services       |           CONRAD AT HARVSPHB          |
|        1730 Cambridge Street        | voice:    (617) 495-8554              |
+----    Cambridge, MA  02138         | fax:      (617) 495-0715          ----+

ih@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Harries) (06/11/91)

In article <25295@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.sri.com (Matt Mora) writes:

> In article <1991Jun10.025124.27673@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
>                        resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
> > An FTP client for the Mac is available. XferIt, written by Steve
> > Falkenburg, is available from ftp.apple.com in the dts/mac/hacks
> > directory. It is shareware and a really nice program.
> >

> That's really funny. Because once you get xferit you might not
> be able to use xferit to get files from ftp.apple.com. Apple has
> implemented some kind of ip number lookup to see who you are.
> If your network number is not in some database it will not allow a connection.
> My mac sits behind a gatorbox and my network number is assigned dynamically.
> So there is not entry in the database for my mac. So I have to
> use the sun to get files from apple. Its kind of ironic.

Since the dynamic network numbers are assigned from a fixed range, there is
no reason for EACH potential number to have an entry in /etc/hosts. This
would solve your problem.

It's what we do here ...

    (except substitute Webster MultiPort GateWay for Cayman GatorBox !)

>--
>Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
>SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com
Ian Harries, Department of Computing, Imperial College, 180 Queen's Gate,
Janet: ih@uk.ac.ic.doc   \  London SW7 2BZ  /   Tel: +44 71 589 5111 x5052
 Uucp: ih@icdoc.UUCP   or ..!ukc!icdoc!ih       Fax: +44 71 581 8024
DARPA: ih@doc.ic.ac.uk or ih%uk.ac.ic.doc@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (06/12/91)

(Eric Sheppard) writes:
>I asked a while ago about this, but only got a few confused replies.
>I have a stock Mac II machine with Ethertalk card, and MacTCP 1.0.1.
>I am currently using NCSA Telnet 2.2-TCP for communications, but there
>_still_ is no FTP.  By FTP, I mean I want to initiate an FTP session
>from the Mac to a remote host for file transfer.  I do *not* want to
>telnet to that host and start a reverse-FTP session like with the non-TCP
>Telnet and 2.3 Telnet.  Telnet and FTP exist as two different programs for
>the MSDOS machines, doesn't it exist for the Macintosh?  Where?

As a simple answer - NO, there is no ftp client that I am aware of for
the Mac.

It should be relatively easy to make one that can go out from the mac
and poke at other servers, but I haven't seen or heard of one.

Given that the NCSA Telnet source code is available, and ftp client code
is available, you could try to roll your own.

I anyone knows of such a beast, please post.
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]

kgustilo@pennsy.med.jhu.edu (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.004143.13195@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G.
Woodbury) writes:
>As a simple answer - NO, there is no ftp client that I am aware of for
>the Mac.
>
>It should be relatively easy to make one that can go out from the mac
>and poke at other servers, but I haven't seen or heard of one.
>
>Given that the NCSA Telnet source code is available, and ftp client code
>is available, you could try to roll your own.
>
>I anyone knows of such a beast, please post.

BYU's implementation of NCSA Telnet contains is the beast that you are looking
for. The current version is 2.3.4 derived from NCSA Telnet version 2.3 and does
not require MacTCP. I think SU's MacIP can also do this but this is hearsay.
There is the commercial version from Novell, HostAcces that also does this.

watch this space

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.004143.13195@wolves.uucp>, ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
> In article <30989@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU
> (Eric Sheppard) writes:
>>I asked a while ago about this, but only got a few confused replies.
>>I have a stock Mac II machine with Ethertalk card, and MacTCP 1.0.1.
>>I am currently using NCSA Telnet 2.2-TCP for communications, but there
>>_still_ is no FTP.  By FTP, I mean I want to initiate an FTP session
>>from the Mac to a remote host for file transfer.  I do *not* want to
>>telnet to that host and start a reverse-FTP session like with the non-TCP
>>Telnet and 2.3 Telnet.  Telnet and FTP exist as two different programs for
>>the MSDOS machines, doesn't it exist for the Macintosh?  Where?
>
> As a simple answer - NO, there is no ftp client that I am aware of for
> the Mac.
>
> It should be relatively easy to make one that can go out from the mac
> and poke at other servers, but I haven't seen or heard of one.
>
> Given that the NCSA Telnet source code is available, and ftp client code
> is available, you could try to roll your own.
>
> I anyone knows of such a beast, please post.

No.  Try the BYU modified NCSA Telnet (currently at 2.3.4 so take care with
System 7.0; the official NCSA version is at 2.4b11 and is compatible with
System 7.0).  It is available from a variety of sources including
zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu  [128.174.20.50] in the Contributions subdir.

Cheers

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.021350.17021@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, kgustilo@pennsy.med.jhu.edu writes:
|> In article <1991Jun12.004143.13195@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G.
|> Woodbury) writes:
|> >As a simple answer - NO, there is no ftp client that I am aware of for
|> >the Mac.
[... ]
|> BYU's implementation of NCSA Telnet contains is the beast that you are looking
|> for. The current version is 2.3.4 derived from NCSA Telnet version 2.3 and does
|> not require MacTCP. I think SU's MacIP can also do this but this is hearsay.
|> There is the commercial version from Novell, HostAcces that also does this.

Take a look at XferIt on ftp.apple.com (dts/mac/hacks/xferit-1-4b1.hqx).
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (06/12/91)

HyperFTP is a Hypercard stack by Douglas Horning.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.004143.13195@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:

   As a simple answer - NO, there is no ftp client that I am aware of for
   the Mac.

   It should be relatively easy to make one that can go out from the mac
   and poke at other servers, but I haven't seen or heard of one.

Versaterm 4.5 (and Versaterm PRO) come with a very nice FTP client
tool (for the Comm. Toolbox) and separate application (so you don't
have to start up Versaterm just to FTP files).  You can send and
receive to and from a remote host, and the interface is very nice --
sort of like a standard file box for browsing the remote host and
retrieving files, and a Font/DA Mover-like interface for sending
files.

It also comes with an cdev that allows you to FTP *into* your Mac from
a remote host and transfer files back and forth.  You can set up some
password-protected accounts to keep out those who you don't want
snooping around your Mac.

All of this works very well, and some decidedly non-technical folks
here are using it regularly.

Versaterm (which also happens to be an outstanding comm. program) goes
for around $90 from MacConnection; I think it's one of the best
bargains around.

(Standard disclaimer:  I'm just a long-standing and very happy customer.)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

erdwing@sol.biostat.med.umich.edu (Erdwing Coronado) (06/12/91)

In article <30989@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:

> I asked a while ago about this, but only got a few confused replies.
> I have a stock Mac II machine with Ethertalk card, and MacTCP 1.0.1.
> I am currently using NCSA Telnet 2.2-TCP for communications, but there
> _still_ is no FTP.  By FTP, I mean I want to initiate an FTP session
> from the Mac to a remote host for file transfer.  I do *not* want to
> telnet to that host and start a reverse-FTP session like with the non-TCP
> Telnet and 2.3 Telnet.  Telnet and FTP exist as two different programs for
> the MSDOS machines, doesn't it exist for the Macintosh?  Where?
>
> Eric
> --
> Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
> Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what
> ARPA: ce1zzes@prism.gatech.edu     |             we have now." -Unknown
> uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ce1zzes

I have used XferIt with good results. It is available from anon ftp
at msdos.archive.umich.edu and/or mondo.engin.umich.edu.
It has some annoying features (redraws its windows every few
minutes, etc) but its graphical interface is intuitive.
It runs over MacTCP. (I normally run NCSA Telnet 2.3 with 3-4
Unix sessions open, POPMail, XferIt, NewsWatcher and MacX at
the same time in a Mac IIci with little hassle).
Oh, XferIt and NewsWatcher are shareware.
Erdwing

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (06/13/91)

> As a simple answer - NO, there is no ftp client that I am aware of for
> the Mac.
>
> It should be relatively easy to make one that can go out from the mac
> and poke at other servers, but I haven't seen or heard of one.
>
> Given that the NCSA Telnet source code is available, and ftp client code
> is available, you could try to roll your own.
>
> I anyone knows of such a beast, please post.

There are several.

Commercial:

TCP/Connect II - InterCon
PathWay Access - Wollongong
LanWorkPlace   - Novell

PD:

BYU NCSA Telnet
HyperFTP
XferIT
and lots more...

todd_strauch@med.umich.edu (06/13/91)

writes:
>I asked a while ago about this, but only got a few confused replies.
>I have a stock Mac II machine with Ethertalk card, and MacTCP 1.0.1.
>I am currently using NCSA Telnet 2.2-TCP for communications, but there
>_still_ is no FTP.  By FTP, I mean I want to initiate an FTP session
>from the Mac to a remote host for file transfer.  I do *not* want to
>telnet to that host and start a reverse-FTP session like with the non-TCP
>Telnet and 2.3 Telnet.  Telnet and FTP exist as two different programs for
>the MSDOS machines, doesn't it exist for the Macintosh?  Where?
>
>Eric
>--
>Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
>Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what
>ARPA: ce1zzes@prism.gatech.edu     |             we have now." -Unknown
>uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ce1zzes

MacIP from the folks at Leland Stanford Junior University has an FTP option.
It is very intuitive and easy to use.  On top of FTP, you get Finger, WhoIs and
Telnet.  It is available for download from Sumex-Aim.Standford.Edu.

chooper@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper) (06/14/91)

In article <.0A-CCD@engin.umich.edu>, erdwing@sol.biostat.med.umich.edu (Erdwing Coronado) writes:

> I have used XferIt with good results. It is available from anon ftp
> at msdos.archive.umich.edu and/or mondo.engin.umich.edu.

Definitely get the version from mondo.engin.umich.edu...the version at info-mac
is still fairly out of date and is nowhere near as nice.

For the record, the version I've got from mondo is XferIt 1.4b2 which is the
latest and greatest as far as I know.

> It runs over MacTCP. (I normally run NCSA Telnet 2.3 with 3-4
> Unix sessions open, POPMail, XferIt, NewsWatcher and MacX at
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^
> the same time in a Mac IIci with little hassle).
> Oh, XferIt and NewsWatcher are shareware.

I've never heard of NewsWatcher. Where can I get it from?

Todd

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (06/17/91)

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

>In article <1991Jun12.021350.17021@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, kgustilo@pennsy.med.jhu.edu writes:
>[... ]
>|> BYU's implementation of NCSA Telnet contains is the beast that you are
>|> looking for. The current version is 2.3.4 derived from NCSA Telnet version
>|> 2.3 and does not require MacTCP. I think SU's MacIP can also do this but
>|> this is hearsay.  There is the commercial version from Novell, HostAcces
>|> that also does this.

>Take a look at XferIt on ftp.apple.com (dts/mac/hacks/xferit-1-4b1.hqx).

Also, if you have a copy a VersaTerm version 4.5.1 (or VersaTerm-PRO version
3.5.1) there is the *SLICKEST* FTP client tool out there!  It is a stand
alone application (called "FTP Client Tool") and it works with a CommToolBox
tool.  What it shows you looks like an open file dialog box.  You click on
a pull down menu to select Text, Binary, or MacBinary and you double click
on files or directories in the scrolling list presented to you.  If you have
double clicked on a directory, you drop down into that directory and the new
list of file and folders are displayed.  If you double click on a file, it
is FTPed to you.  Click on the send button to send one or more files.

The other really slick thing about this implementation is that the folder
name is displayed on the top of the open file dialog box and clicking on it
gives you a drop down menu of items like "move up one directory" "go home"
and "change directory" which allows you to type in the directory of your
choosing.  It is also smart enough to let you choose the directory delimeter
(period for VMS and slash for unix) so that you don't know (or care) what
kind of system you are on.

If you have VersaTerm and have the FTP Client Tool, check it out, if you have
VT and don't have the tool, the latest version is always $20 to upgrade and
this tool is more than worth the money!  And if you have a later version but
don't have the tool, they might even send it to you for free!  (As long as
you are a registered user!)

-- Pat ---------------------------------------> hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (06/17/91)

In article <hoepfner.677130774@heawk1>
           hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) writes:
   [he's talking about the Ftp Client included with the latest
    Versaterm and Versaterm Pro]
> The other really slick thing about this implementation is that the folder
> name is displayed on the top of the open file dialog box and clicking on it
> gives you a drop down menu of items like "move up one directory" "go home"
> and "change directory" which allows you to type in the directory of your
> choosing.

I agree that the FTP client software included with versaterm is very slick.
This particular part of it is not very bright though.  If you are in an
open-file-dialog anywhere else in the Mac system, you click on the name to see
the folders that make up the path to that name.  You don't get a drop-down menu
of commands.  I'd rather have the drop down list of commands be somewhere else,
and have the name-field on this open-file-dialog work like name fields do on
standard open-file-dialogs.

Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA