[comp.sys.mac.comm] downloading and mcvert

mlk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Matt L Kolehmainen) (06/17/91)

Recently, I have been attempting to download files that are both
".sea" and ".hqx".  I first use McVert to go from binhex to macbinary,
then I use Kermit to download the file.

When I try to open the file, say "Q.sea", on my Mac I get a dialog box
claiming that the application "Q.sea" is "missing or damaged".

When I send the original binhexed file, and convert it on my mac the
".sea" file functions perfectly.

It seems that mcvert is the problem here.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?  Can anyone see what I am
doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Mathias.

mlk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stuart M Castergine) (06/18/91)

In article <44727@netnews.upenn.edu> mlk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Matt L Kolehmainen) writes:

>Recently, I have been attempting to download files that are both
>".sea" and ".hqx".  I first use McVert to go from binhex to macbinary,
>then I use Kermit to download the file.
>
>When I try to open the file, say "Q.sea", on my Mac I get a dialog box
>claiming that the application "Q.sea" is "missing or damaged".
>
>When I send the original binhexed file, and convert it on my mac the
>".sea" file functions perfectly.
>
>It seems that mcvert is the problem here.
>
>Does anyone else have a similar problem?  Can anyone see what I am
>doing wrong?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Mathias.
>
>mlk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

I use mcvert without any problem for xmodem and zmodem Macbinary
downloads all the time.

I'd suspect Kermit if I were you, for two reasons:

1. The .hqx file is an ascii file, so kermit doesn't have to try a
macbinary download, while the .sea file is macbinary.

2. I seem to remember having a similar problem myself, though I'll be
damned if I can remember what it was -- I only use ZTerm and MacLayers
now.

Make sure kermit on the SENDING end is set for  binary transfer, in
addition to setting the receiving kermit for MacBinary. That rings a
bell.

--
scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu	Stuart M Castergine
"Step by step they were led to practices which disposed to vice -- the